Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jeep T5 trans in the torquetube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stovebolt, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

The speedway disc will not work for a stock A bell housing. It will work for an AA bell. I am not sure about the Flathead adapters.

2. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I just finished building this one.It fits a Chevy torque tube.

Attached Files:

3. wayfarer

wayfarer

Enjenjo, are you going to start selling them?

4. Firecat7

Firecat7

I have one of these Jeep trannys....fresh from a national rebuilder.... would sell it. not cheap ,but not unreasonable. was gonna do this torque tube thing, but plan has changed. this is a nice trans, no shifter (as its a rebuild/ replacement ).

5. Nice! Now do one for a BUICK!

Ben

6. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Now show us what you did for a yoke.

firstinsteele and Crazydaddyo like this.
  7. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I can make more, but it's not simple. Machine work needed on the adapters and the mainshaft. This trans is built on an S10 case with a shortened Jeep 1 1/8" input shaft to match the old Chevy clutches. It bolts up to a Chevy truck bell housing, after boring out the center hole in the bell housing, and shortening the throw out bearing sleeve. All the gears are from the S10 with a Jeep mainshaft and 4x4 adapter. The mainshaft has to be turned down at the rear from 1.406" to 1.386", and the splines recut deeper to fit a Toyota Tundra 23 spline yoke. The yoke has to be shortened a bit too. The yoke on the driveshaft side, I took a late model yoke that would fit a 1310 Ujoint, and bored it out to fit the splined part of the original Chevy yoke, pressed them together, and TIG welded it on both sides. If you can find one, a 41 to 46 Chevy 3/4 ton truck yoke will work without modification, but you then need a different Ujoint. I could not find one.

There are two adapters needed, one to hold a bushing and seal for the Toyota yoke, and a second one to adapt the Chevy torque tube to the Jeep housing. This one has to be bored with a ball cup to fit the Chevy torque ball, and drilled for the ball retainer. I used two pieces, and welded them together because I did not have one piece thick enough.

I used the S10 detent block, and shift tower with the Jeep lower shift lever as this allowed me to move the shifter forward 1" from the stock position.

You could do the same with a Ford torque tube, but it's simpler because the torque ball is reversed, and a seperate piece, and will bolt on the adapter.

This one is using an electric speedometer because there is no place to put a standard mechanical speedo drive. I used a Ford VSS, and machined a reluctor wheel out of a crankshaft timing gear

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    bct, Crazydaddyo and brad2v like this.
  8. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm confused why your using a electric speedometer when a ford torque tube has the mechanical speedometer built right in

9. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

This one is going in a Chevy torque tube.

10. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Great work. I have a jeep t5 on my stand as well. I have been working on a solution for the ford v8 torque tube. I think I am going to machine my own yoke for the trans side and use the original ford torque tube yoke for the drive shaft side.

11. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Great work on the Chevy Torque ball/Tube. What keeps the Toyota yoke attached to the trans output shaft? I know the Chevy uses the drive shaft side of the u joint as a slip yoke but the trans yoke and the torque ball have to stay on the same center.
    Thanks

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  12. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Here are a couple pics of my jeep t5 to ford v8 torque tube adapter. I used the original ford u joint, made a spline adapter and drilled and tapped the jeep output shaft. It will work exactly like the early ford torque tube transmission as far as the yoke side goes. I made 2, if anyone is interested, I have one complete set up I would sell. You use your yoke and clamshell. PM me if interested. More pics to come. Thanks.
    20151222_185603.jpg 20151222_185613.jpg

13. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

14. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

I know this is an older post, But its a damn shame about the HI-JACKERS that came in on
    and ended this great thread, guess it's one of those hurray for me and the hell with the two
    folks that were sharing their knowledge.

15. Is the motor mount of the T5 used for this setup?

16. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I guess I don't understand your complaint, I personally was quite pleased to see pictures of the
    Jeep transmission conversions because I'm planning to convert a Jeep T176 to TT drive. Besides, since I'm not interested in the long assed T-5 I probably wouldn't have found this thread without it coming back to the top recently because of the new posts. From the quick tape measure calculating I've done, it looks like my T176 and AA bell housing combination will require very minimal modifications to my stock Model A crossmember. So, thanks guys.

Kato Kings and bct like this.
  17. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

18. No hijack there. enjenjoe just had some great tech info and a slant on the idea to add.

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

No issue here. If it can be done better ...DO IT. I stopped doing it when mine was done. It works great and I love mine.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. rexrogers

rexrogers

We are mulling over the Jeep T5 conversion on a Ardun powered 32 5 window that's in the shop now. This might be a good option for making the car a little more user friendly and retain the closed drive line. I like it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

22. rexrogers

rexrogers

I am not a hard core mechanic and from from a transmission expert but what is the bellhousing bolt pattern from the Jeep t5? Would modifying or using one of the gm adapters from offenhauser work?

23. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

The jeep front pattern is ford. Like a mustang t5. Different than the GM t5 pattern. I think there is someone out there making an adapter.

24. rexrogers

rexrogers

Thanks for info! I pretty sure that the jeep t5 set will fit the bill for the project. Our head mechanic is out of the shop this week, but as soon as he is back we can go over everything and see what i missed. I need to see abot the gear ratios.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. tatoo65

tatoo65
    from England

Hi do you still do the kit for this conversion ? I have a standard model A engine. Would you be able to explain exactly what I need to do for the conversion please. Here in England I can't find the gearbox every ones talking about is it only available in America ?
    Again any help you could give me would be much appreciated.
    Thank you Andy

26. whitetm

whitetm

Do you Sale these adapters? I'm a left leg amputee, I want to put a chevy 2.5L 4cylinder with a 700r4 trans out of a 4x4. I figure if this adapter works for the T5 tranny it should work with an auto trans.

27. ruppi1932

ruppi1932
    from Germany

Hello everybody

I want to adapt to my V8 Flathead a T5 transmission and drive with torquetube. For this I have already bought a transmission adapter at MDL and astro just build a T5 WC transmission with 4WD rearhousing for me.
    In principle, I can produce the adapter for the torquetube myself. What I do not know exactly which slip yoke and which u-joint I can use?
    Here in Germany there are usually only metric parts. The transmission output shaft has 28 splines and the axle is from a 40's Merc.

Can you please help me ??

regards
    Matthias

Gesendet von iPhone mit H.A.M.B.

28. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. LostInOC

LostInOC

Any word on the availability of the 4x4 s10 (in my case 87 s1 4wd blazer) adapters for a model A?

Thanks