Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I have a question about the flange when building headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36cab, Oct 4, 2019.

1. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going build my own fender well headers for a small block Ford. I noticed on headers bought from a shop that the there is usually a flattened welded bead around the primary tube openings on the back side of the flange. Does this flattened bead help the flange seal against the gasket and the head? Or can the primaries on the backside of the flange by welded flush and still get a good seal with the gasket and the head? I am guessing that the flattened bead bites into the gasket and helps with a good seal but I thought I should check with the HAMB experts.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

Keep in mind that production headers are built in a way that costs the least...that may not be a priority on your headers that you are making.

A flat flange will seal, too.

j-jock and The Shift Wizard like this.
  3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you start with a thick flange that is flat, and don't over heat it during welding, it will seal with everything flush just fine. As Squirrel said, the production stuff is massed produced. The flange may have never been that straight and just having four contact points gives it a better chance of sealing.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  4. Thinner flange material can benefit from the little bit of raised "ring" because it concentrates the clamping force on the high spots. A decently thick flange shouldn't need any band-aides.

5. On production headers that always leak I have never understood why the raised weld bead didn't encompass the complete bolt hole so you actually got a good clamp force when tightening the bolts.
    I use or make 3/8" flange plates and just do an inside perimeter weld and a light dressing. No leaks.
    Ready to coat Headers 004.jpg

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 3-4 layer Mr. Gasket aluminum gasket help, expensive but hold up well on our dirt car rear crossover headers.

7. squirrel

squirrel

IMG_1436.JPG

This is how I did the first set I made...I ground the flange flat, after welding. And then brazed the outer side of the tube/flange joint, to make damn sure it would not leak/break. They're doing fine

j-jock and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  8. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all of the help. The flanges are 1/4" thick. My buddy is a great fabricator and he will TIG weld everything for me.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think you would be better with 3/8 or 1/2 thick flanges than 1/4.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

1/4" is too thin, they will probably warp.
    3/8" is advisable.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I use 3/8" flanges, recess weld on the inside, and seal the outside with silicone bronze. IMG_7994.JPG

12. Same here,
    3/8 flanges, filed flat on the gasket surface
    welded inside
    Brazed a fillet on the outside for support

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

When we made mine we added the ridge on the inside. Sorry, I don't think I have a pic.

14. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Store bought headers are typically assembled and welded in jigs, they stuff the tube through the flange and run a fillet weld around the protruding tube then surface grind it leaving the flat bead.
    When I build headers I bolt the flange to the head in the car, stick the starter tubes in as far as they can, then tack the starter tube to the flange. Then take the tacked together headers off to weld the flanges and bolt them to some loose heads to finish weld. This leaves the tube end flush with the inside of flange, and finish up pretty much like squirrel and others show and describe leaving the gasket surface flush and smooth.

pitman and Just Gary like this.
  15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built these the same way Paul is talking about. I have had the same pair of header gaskets on them since 2002. If you let the flat flange do all the sealing, they will never leak.

[​IMG]

-Abone

Jet96, Paul and Just Gary like this.
  16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have changed a lot of things on the car in the last 18 years, but still have the same header gaskets.

[​IMG]

-Abone

Just Gary likes this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Check header manufactures as well as epay. They should have what you need. Do not accept 1/4 " .

18. lake_harley

lake_harley

Ooohh, Marty! That's a beautiful 215!...or maybe the Cu. In. have been coaxed up a bit? I made a set of the individual flanges for my 215 Olds to build lakes headers. Working with just a hole saw or two and a die grinder with a 1/2" carbide cutter, it took a LOT of time to match up what I recall was a really odd-shaped exhaust port.

Lynn

19. daliant

daliant

Store bought headers shown in the OP's picture in the first post are notorious for leaking, thin flanges, loosening of bolts, blowing out gaskets...etc.
    Factory manifolds on the other hand are nice and thick, machined flat, installed without gaskets, don't leak, etc..
    So... you be the judge.
    My money is on a nice flat and thick flange to do the best job.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jet96 likes this.
  21. I built mine the same as Jim. It was a long time ago, and used an oxy/acetylene torch, but the procedure was the same. Weld the flange side first, weld the outside of the flange to the pipe, and then grind the mating surface smooth.
    The reason I like grinding the mating side smooth, is that because header gaskets are fatter, and made of softer material, having the ridge on the header tears up the gasket over time and causes a leak.
    My trick for tightening, is to tighten from the center to the outside in small increments just like you would torque a cylinder head.
    I have been running headers of all brands for over 59 years, and rarely have had a problem (other than fitting with the cheaper brands).
    Bob

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

In a 6 cyl build I made a exhaust manifold and used the typical header gasket but made .030 thick copper to duplicate the raised bead on a typical header and used hi temp rtv to glue them in place..

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you are worried bolt the flange to a head when welding

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you think that will prevent warpage you’re mistaken.
    As soon as you unbolt it, residual stress takes over a the warpage is there anyway.

Maybe less than without doing that but not completely eliminated.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always mill my flanges flat after final welding. If you don't have access to a mill, buddy up to someone that has one, or find a hod rod friendly machine shop.

Always use the thickest flanges possible.

26. squirrel

squirrel

...unless you're building a race car, then a thin flange is OK, because leaks don't matter so much, and steel is heavy

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

After the header is fully welded and cleaned up I bolt it to the engine and heat the primary tubes at strategic areas to relieve the stresses, usually near bends, then final clean and paint.

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I try hard not to have any leaks, I want all the exhaust to exit the tail pipe behind me, leaks at the flange can mask other noises like loose valve adjustment or pinging, enough clean air pulled into the exhaust through scavenging can make very annoying backfire racket and even destroy a muffler.. I guess I'm talking mostly of street driven cars..

29. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, I agree about street driven cars...but there's more than one way to build a car, and the requirements vary. Thicker flanges are generally better, but not always. They add weight and cost, and may or may not be necessary for the particular car you're making headers for.

Paul likes this.
  30. Paul

Paul
    Editor

absolutely agree