Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Way (Way) Over the Top

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Oct 4, 2019.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Way (Way) Over the Top

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Shadow Creek, 32Stoker, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  2. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

We may be talking about it and discussing how over the top the pipes are. But all these years later it's still ugly. Do you really want that kind of attention?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. @drdave Here's some 4 door sedan inspiration for ya.

drdave and Moriarity like this.
  4. I dig the psychedelic nature of it. Pure 1960s. While I could never do this to a vehicle, I would buy it and preserve it. I'm weird that way...

Stogy and Sancho like this.

5. Hey! Not everybody can weld up a set of headers. :confused:

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Damn,!, I got 100 extra points,,, that trophy is MINE!!!!!

7. verde742

verde742

a simple case of:
    Just because you can, don't mean you should....

8. And some that shouldn't try. Above photo is proof of that. He must have been inspired by the second version of Norms T. There is clearly a Right and Wrong!
    KookieReturnCVR.jpg

pitman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

“A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” – William G.T. Shedd

That car is pretty rad. And its finished. And the Bosozoku reference is spot on.

cactus1, Tim, J.Ukrop and 1 other person like this.
  10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The pipes are about the only thing I feel don’t belong. But I imagine, for most of us with exposure to rodent rods, that vision, keeps popping up in our heads.

HunterYJ and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. sololobo

sololobo

It's my pipes and I will do it my way, you know like Frank Sinatra

Stogy likes this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

C'mon guys! I'd take those pipes over the bumper "feet".

I guess I'm the only one that think it "plays" - especially for the time period. I loved that guys were willing to think differently. I'm not one for more-doors but I'd give this car an extra look at a show.

Stutz, pwschuh, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  13. One seldom used word on the Hamb these days describes the huge pipes to a T.

Fugly! HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

BOSOZOKU...

Hello,
    If my mom was anything, she was a straight cut, traditional, All American in values (straight from Good Housekeeping Magazine) housewife with two rambunctious kids running around. We did hear of the term describing the odd looking teens across the Pacific. She never wanted us to grow up like them. She had another term of her own, that is hard to spell and pronounce, too. Even though, she liked Elvis, she did not want the two brothers to have hair like him. She loved Marlon Brando, but those motorcycles were not to her liking.

She wanted us to be normal teens doing normal teen stuff in a normal teen community. In other words, don't rock the boat and grow up so your dad would be proud. It all turned into how others see the family and how we all function together in society. She wanted us to fit in and fit in we did as per family values. (hers, mostly in the weekly teenager bashing conversations.)

Little did she know that part of teenager life on the Westside of Long Beach were gangs and hot rods. But, the gangs were into custom cars, while the other teens were avid hot rodders/drag racers in the making. It certainly helped the family make up that the Lions Dragstrip was located within a mile or two of all of our post WW2 houses. Even when our duck tail, buzz cuts were getting a little long, her idea was for us to get a haircut. Image, to her, was what was the right idea of "Living in the USA." (including Lefty Mudersbach and a cheeseburger...ha!)

We did all that was asked of us to be normal in the sense and we are still around to tell about it.

A little background on BOSOZOKU:
    "Japan's motorcycle gangs or bosozoku (which means "violent speed tribes" in English) aren't anything like American motorcycle gangs. Or at least, not anymore. Rather, like many aspects of Japanese society, the approach to the bosozoku culture seems to be "if ain't broke, don't fix it." This means that major elements of today's bosozoku still harken back to the glory days of post-WWII American teenage rebellion: pompadour hairstyles, greaser attire, impromptu weapons, and really obnoxious attitudes. Bosozoku members are typically between the ages of 16 and 20, the years in which you can ride a scooter or motorcycle, but not generally drive a car. They have never really been adult oriented groups like many American motorcycle gangs."

As far as those wild pipes on the custom hot rod, that was it, a custom show car, not a daily driver hot rod. In our many car shows we went to in their heydays, we saw different items. We all know that people do wild things for the judges to notice and then give extra points for creativity. This obviously was not a street driven sedan, but an out and out show car. They just look awful. IMHO...

catdad49 likes this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

The Phrase of the era was, "All Show, No Go!" I think that applies here, but I do wonder what other things were added to garner show points.

16. Dutch 1960

Dutch 1960

I'll bet the sound that car made was glorious.

Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are actually quite a number of vintage 60s hotrods sporting that type of wild pipe and its all part of the big picture...I'm Okay with it...A Hamber had a Coupe sporting similar themed wildness and I posted it...I'd love to see it driving by...The total picture is not felt as it is confined to a show scene...

HunterYJ likes this.
  18. Welp......I like 'em as scavenger pipes under the car but sticking up like that? I think the owner/operator was going for shock value, not beauty. Thumbs down.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  19. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

WTF was he thinking, what a waste of a deuce coupe

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some take the "Form over Function" approach.

The Ramchargers did it the other way, and I appreciate the look of the High & Mighty pipes much more.

High&Mighty.jpg

jimgoetz, wbrw32, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  21. Oh yes,,,,The High. And Mighty!!!
    They were awesome!

They owned their class for some time.
    A fine example of what real engineers that are car guys can do.
    I’m sorry,,,no disrespect intended,,,but I have worked with a lot of engineers that don’t know (you know what ). about anything!!!

Tommy

jimgoetz, Stogy and Just Gary like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found the Pic I found of some unique vintage rides owned by some of our membership...Cool Rides Fellas

l_15826df519ab54fe20506c77419ae73c.jpg

l_e8a29193ba0e64b09dd155465a1f0ffa.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-99#post-13043322

:rolleyes:...Not for everybody but it reflects flamboyance in Hotrod which is part of the big picture love it or not...and my stance on it is, good on those that have inspired and make it real...;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  23. 32Stoker

32Stoker

I dig it! Something different (for a change)...

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The orange 60's show rod was just that, a show rod that most likely didn't have any guts in the engine besides the crank. It didn't matter because if you started it you discolored the pipes or the custom paint on the engine.
    I'd agree on the extra show points thing. Those show rods from that time frame were built with a copy of the ISCA judging sheet tacked to the shop wall. Every point counted and if your pipes were a tad wilder than your competitors pipes that didn't hurt either.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rat Fink, Racing, Fighting, Standing Out...This Bold Hotrod Statement was from a time of no rules and highlights divides in definition of Period Hotrod perhaps...but well entrenched in the 50s 60s Wild...It truly has a Easyrider Aspect to it...There was Race and there was Street Hotrod...The Finessed Road Warrier​

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This shot is from 1960. WC9.jpg

Jet96, J.Ukrop, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  27. Aside from the pipes, I really, really like this car. The pipes are a beyond easy fix. :D

28. Mike

Mike

Those pipes negate everything good about the car.

Easy fix, though.

29. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I friggin love it! Ha! Any more pictures of it?

P.S.
    Joey, I’ll ship your Bosozoku horns to you asap.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

J.Ukrop likes this.