Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods D.A.M. Dumb A** Move

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu D Baker, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

So, in a hurry, and jacking up the '37 in front. Not paying close enough attention and jack slips out from under the front crossmember, skids off the rack & pinion, and then crushes the lower radiator support bar, along with the Walker radiator. Of course the grille is fubar and fenders have shifted to hell and gone. Needless to say, I'm not happy with myself.

Only good thing is nobody got hurt. This might be a good time to test out my insurance coverage. Hope I've got the Dickhead coverage. Sorry, just had to rant.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  2. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

It happens sad to say...…..

3. A Boner

A Boner

Nobody got hurt.......and you have all winter to fix!

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Yes. Although I was looking forward to driving down to Quincy, Il in 2 weeks for the Early Tin Dusters fall color run. First time in 30 years that I will miss it.

5. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I would never be stupid enough to do that ....but I did I’d let my Cadillac down with the floor jack one day with a jack stand not far enough out of the way and tear a huge nasty hole in the quarter panel. It’s human to make stupid mistakes.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

At least you didn't get hurt...

7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was close to your dilemma but I let the jack down on the right tie rod end. I didn't notice the new "alignment" until the next day when I was leaving on my gravel driveway. It seems my toe in was several degrees off.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  8. yep...glad your okay.....

Stu D Baker likes this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Silver lining. A lesson learned is a positive growth spurt. And you did not get a physical reminder.

lothiandon1940 and Stu D Baker like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haggerty rep told me one day that in the majority of their claims, the loss occurred in the owners garage. Sorry for you accident, glad no one was injured.

11. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Glad you didn't get hurt. Also, do you notice there is nobody posting that they have never done that or anything like it !

G-son and Stu D Baker like this.
  12. We all have done a bone head move or 2....Sorry for the damage,but your ok.Go to the color run by any means,good therapy.

pitman likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Bill,

So sorry to learn about your mishap. Like has been said.....these things happen.

're Tin Dusters Color Run........don't let this accident stop you. I am sure you have alternate transportation of some sort. Drive that down and enjoy the Meet. I'll look forward to seeing you!

Ray

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sorry for the tough luck, good news you have 2 weeks to fix it. :)

Stu D Baker likes this.
  15. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Ray, your right. Already have the room, so I suppose I'll just come down anyway. I promise that I'll phone you Saturday a.m. Thanks.

pprather and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. 62rebel

62rebel

Had an off topic car I'd bought from my job at the salvage yard and, in my haste to move it, had the wrecker I was using stall and roll backwards into the heretofore perfect and undamaged trunk lid.... yep.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Happens..I was in a rush to fiish oil change on one car so I could get another car in..Put oil in and backed car out, then notice oil on driveway..Didn't screw filter on..

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Glad you weren't hurt but I think what probably caused the whole situation was that rack and pinion steering...

chopped likes this.
  19. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm Spartacus :(

Chris

62rebel likes this.
  20. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

To err is human, to forgive is against company policy. Hope your insurance co comes thru for you.

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

I had no idea that insurance would pay for self inflicted wounds

Stu D Baker likes this.
  22. ...had a buddy take out the whole grille area on a 48 F-1 pickup when the jack slip'd...I think you should still go to Quincy as a spectator...have a good time.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  23. Man that sucks, hope the repairs go easy for you, most of us have been there. BigO

Stu D Baker likes this.
  24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Car fixin' is easy and fun! Human body fixin' sucks. Glad you're ok.

Tri-power37 and Stu D Baker like this.
  25. You gotta watch that jacking point.
    I feel your pain, I did this to my A jacking it up to change the oil and it slipped off the axle, grazed the radiator bracket and took out the grill. Had to have it fixed for a buddy's wedding in 3wk, that was a thrash.

IMG_0051.JPG
    I figured since I had to replace it, I might as well do a better job this go around.
    IMG_0343.JPG

26. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

It's really no different than having a fender bender on the road. There's just only one vehicle to repair damage on. I had a customer who hoisted his mullins trailer up into the rafters of his garage, and strapped it up with those 1" ratchet straps. This was in an effort to conserve space in his garage, of course. After a bit of time, one of the straps failed (probably dry rotted) and the trailer fell to the floor from about 9' in the air. Had a lot of damage, in fact Grundy considered it a total loss and wrote him a check based on his comp/collision policy.

But, I understand your statement, and agree that we should all accept responsibility for our actions. I've come to look at insurance coverage to be no different than going to the store and buying a cart full of groceries. You certainly would not pay for the groceries and then leave them in the cart at the store and go home.

27. "We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster."

Somebody could pull that out of the woods and make a complete running car out of that.:p

Stu D Baker and Tri-power37 like this.
  28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back when I was learning a lot of life lessons (still am, just not as many) I was helping the local Mobil gas station owner/mechanic align the front end on my 1964 Olds Dynamic 88. It was a small town, the owner/mechanic hunted and fished with my dad, and knew me pretty well, so nurtured my love for mechanical things. I spent a lot of time in the station helping out. In any case, after the alignment was done I was making one last pass checking things that had been loosened. I put a wrench on the upper A-arm bolts to make sure they were all tight, and got distracted somewhere during that (it was probably Susan Mayer or Mary Jo Michels walking by the station) and forgot that I left that wrench on one of the upper A-arm bolts. Sticking straight up. After I stopped staring at the girl walking by I grabbed the front of the hood and shut it, to be greeted by a 2-inch tall sheet metal mountain in the hood.

One of many times I've screwed stuff up over the years.

29. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I had similar. replacing timing chain. jack slipped from crossmember, pulled the power steering lines and smashed the sealing edge of the oil pan beyond repair. Lucky it was that little damage. but sure a bitch to change the pan without pulling the motor!

Stu D Baker likes this.
  30. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

How about the jack slipping off the rear end chunk and taking out the gas tank on a 63 chev I was working on. We've all done it, stupid stuff. Ralphie

Stu D Baker likes this.