Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brakes for 28/29 model A hydraulic front brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by eddie_zapien, Oct 3, 2019.

1. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

Please excuse me if this topic is old hat, I tried to do a search but I must not be too great an interneting today....I recently started collecting parts for my '26 T I have a 28/29 frame, and I'm wondering what (budget friendly) hydraulic front drum brakes would fit stock model A spindles.

Thanks in advance.

EZ.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You can adapt 46-48 or even early F truck with the right bearings/races and a small adapter. Been done a billion times I’m sure someone will post a link shortly. But yeah it’s doable

eddie_zapien likes this.
  3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

F1 spindles and brakes bolt right onto the stock A axle! Easy peasy. Just don't get f100s, has to be f1

eddie_zapien likes this.
  4. tinkirk

tinkirk

Talk with the guys at Speedway auto parts
    They have info in there web site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddie_zapien likes this.

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

6. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

7. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

That old shit has been turned and turned and most are junk. Check out Thompson’s Garage for complete front brakes. All new, traditional and safe. Put you back about a grand but well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. lake_harley

lake_harley

I became fascinated enough by a hydraulic brake conversion that was offered in years past by Ansen that I did a DIY conversion to my Model A backing plates. In reality, it took a fair amount of calculating and fabricating, but in-shop testing with air pressure rather than hydraulic pressure was successful. The project car that the brakes were intended for took a very different turn for other reasons, but I see no reason the hydraulic conversion wouldn't work. One upgrade I would have considered if the concept proved to be valid would have been to convert to cast iron Model A brake drums that are available for about 70-ish dollars each.

Here's a couple photos just for the heck of it. I have a number of other photos of actual Ansen conversions that I've collected from research and also from people who presently have the Ansen conversion kits on their cars. I'm not necessarily suggesting this route but I found it an interesting option that was at one time commercially available.

Lynn

2000-12-31 002 001.JPG 2000-12-31 002 002.JPG

Attached Files:

alchemy likes this.
  9. dmar836

dmar836

Why “just don’t get F100s, has to be F1.”? Spindles won’t work with king pins?

10. Either F-1 or F-100 hubs and brake assemblies will work on early spindles.

F-1 spindles will fit early axles. (whether it is worthwhile using them depends)

F-100 spindles do not fit early axles do to a different king pin diameter and angle.

dmar836 likes this.
  11. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

From the research I did for my 27 RPU, the f100s spindles are at a different angle throwing the camber off. The thread I posted above should go through all the details. You can simply bolt on the f1 spindles, hubs, brakes and hit the road.

12. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Using the Speedway spindle and the bearings to fit F100 hubs, you now have Bendix brakes and the setup works like a charm. Now to find a good F100 setup. This setup is on my Model A and I love it. 5 on 5.5 with Smoothies or spokes.

Warren