Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Door prizes at cruise ins what do like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcar1953, Sep 29, 2019.

1. jazz1

jazz1

Always a box or two of Persians to be won at cruise night. Club also does a weekly 50/50 draw at cruise night. I won once, the only time I have ever won anything at cruise night. ONCE!!
    A Thunder Bay Persian
    [​IMG]

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. A local club use to host a cruise-in at the Texas Road House and they usually gave everyone that came a gift certificate for a appetizer and a couple of meals as door prizes. HRP

wicarnut and hotrodharry2 like this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Gift card to restaurants.
    Man you guys are slipping.

IMG_3186.gif

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a show in the S.F. Bay area back in the mid-'70s. I remember some short-haired tall guy with a thin beard winning a bundle of welding rod.
    He was looking around at everyone near, "What IS this?"
    My cool hot rod friends and I were chuckling, finally started a small auction...Gary bid $4, I bid $5...Got it up to $9, a customer of mine won. The guy was puzzled, but thanked us.
    The customer came in a coupla days later and gave me the welding rod. LOL
    I used it, too. (3/32" oxy-acet. Better than coat hanger!

Peter Nowak and wicarnut like this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

A hand job or a wax job ! I’m sorry I couldn’t resist . Something useable , sometimes it’s a pedicure ! WTH , I’m I goin to do with a pedicure ? !!!

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Every year, there's a rodder in Louisville, Kentucky that holds a party on Friday night during the NSRA Street Rod Nationals. Boyd Coddington used to supply most of the door prizes with most being various items from the Coddington garage with the Grand Prize always being a set of Boyd wheels. After Boyd passed naturally that was the end of the Coddington prizes. The year after Boyd passed, guess who was the winner of the Grand Prize? Thats right it was Me. I'm still using that Grand Prize an LED drop light. Probably the best door prize I've ever won.
    Pretty much the story of my life. A day late and a dollar short.

Boneyard51 and wicarnut like this.
  8. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

The best door prize I have ever won was a brand new electric Weed Wacker. Sounds kinda odd, but my wacker had just bit the dust.

wicarnut likes this.
  9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't need no stinking door prizes.

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I'm not with the others on gift certificates. I've traveled to out of town shows and won a gift certificate but cant use it because it's usually Sunday and I probably will not get back to that town anytime soon. The one gift certificate I did win that I thought was nice was a $25 fuel card, it filled the tank so I could head home. Just my two cents

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  11. [​IMG]
    We all need this. It will get used.

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nothing.. I wish I could go somewhere where hot rodders just come to mingle and talk.. All the other stuff is just bullshit..

13. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Well i came up with some stuff. Three decent gifts. Cruise will last around 2 hours or so. I thought three drawings would be enough. I am planning a semi private party for my friends at a later date. Leaving the bs behind. I just hope to bring more new people to the group.

TrailerTrashToo and wraymen like this.
  14. Door prize ideas for some of the above posters , Quaaludes, ear plugs and a Do Not Disturb Sign.;)

15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I won a forty of Canadian Club and funny thing I suddenly became very popular and returned home after the show with an empty bottle. I Put it on the shelf with the rest of the trophies.

wicarnut and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. Bugguts

Bugguts

I won this cool refrigerator as a door prize 2 weeks ago. It was the big prize. Also won a trophy. Anyone who won a trophy recieved a $50 bill also! It was a good day.
    The show cost $20 which all went to the local EMTs. 20190921_142700.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Wicarnut, you just hit the nail on the head! I started a car show through our benevolent club benefiting a local charity here two years ago.I was chairman and my wife and I ended up doing all the work! Advertising, selling sponsorships, having the tee shirts made, having the trophy’s made, finding judges, arranging food and parking. Had special Tee shirts made up for workers and they got them free. On the day of the show, we were working our tails off, walked into the club, everyone at the air conditioned bar was wearing a “ workers” tee shirt!..... then after our show, of 45 cars and $2700 donated to our charity....... everybody talked about how successful “ our “ car show was! Next year I refused to be chairman...... no car show.
    Well, that’s my rant!

Bones

Nostrebor and wicarnut like this.
  18. Well....... From past experience....... Something car related of course! BUT- hand's on, and given to the winner on the spot. Gift certs are ok , IF the donate'r stands up........= Just the case here= Won an oil change, and when I showed up, all was cool. When I said I had a gift cert= all changed, and they didn't have time.........
    Not everyone is local to any show. If they win something, it should be something to bring home on the spot, not have to go out and seek........just an OP.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. 54BOMB

54BOMB

All I’d want is a ice cold beer and a good heartfelt handshake

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Ice cold beer = easy , heartfelt anything ,= not so much....

21. topher5150

topher5150

To bad it wasn't a bag of 10mm sockets

raven, arkiehotrods and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

that would be a good gag prize. most of us lose them when needed on our everyday beaters.

23. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Winner!!

24. raven

raven

Cash is king.
    Just saying...
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. wicarnut

wicarnut

Rereading this thread this AM, I remembered at a NSRA show I won a gift certificate from Hot Rod Air for $500. I used this toward the AC unit I put in my 32. That's the best prize I've won at a show, NSRA had the best door prize drawings of any of the big shows IMO. The $100 cash recently won is second best, but for a local small town show it was an outstanding prize. Boneyard51 I feel your pain, as time goes on the local shows are going to diminish IMO as everyone in general wants to enjoy, but very few will put in the time effort involved. In my lifetime I have seen this in several different hobby organizations I've been involved in, one example comes to mind, I was a snowmobile enthusiast for many years, local club I was a section/trail boss, dealt with landowners, put trail in/out brushed as needed, etc. I would put up sign up sheet at meeting, get 3/5 helpers sign up and guess what, Myself/Wife/my Sons did it all as everyone/every year had something come up on that day, Didn't bother with sign up sheet after a few years. I did this for 15 years, finally gave it up, New trail boss for my section did it one year and talked the club into abandoning that section as it was too much work, whined he didn't get any help, one F-ing year and he was a younger man, it was a connecting section to get east and south, now you have to about 10 miles to get to a east/south connection, the laziness/stupidity of people always amazes me. Forest said it right, "You can't fix stupid".

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  26. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Hell, I dont care. KKOA gives away old fashioned bottle openers and I always snag a couple of them when I go. Dont use them too often, but sure are handy.

Dont really need any more ballcaps, but i have a few i wear in the shop to work and if they get ruined i dont fret. People that go for only prizes arent the people I want to hang out with

wicarnut likes this.
  27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

SO RIGHT!!! We have a local bowling alley that does a friday night cruise. Every friday, show up in a hot rod and get a free burger or hot dog for everyone in your car. Had a really nice friday early in the season and the guy cooking was in his 70s and slow. People had the nerve to bitch to the owner that the FREE food was taking too long. If youre gonna bitch about free things STAY HOME

raven and wicarnut like this.
  28. trollst

trollst

Interesting topic, I put on the local show, and there are two types of attendees, those who love your show and come, those who come for the prizes. For some of those who come for the freebies, anything you give isn't good enough and they find fault or will stand at the prize table and insist on trading for something that suits them. You can't win, if you refuse to trade, they leave bitching they'll not come back, while others beam with pride they won something and trade for others back on the street. Keep in mind that I buy all the prizes, my team is not paid and we volunteer hundreds of hours to make a good day for those who attend, and we appreciate you coming.
    For those of you that bitch about paying to attend and I get several of those in my show, remember, I pay for the venue rental, the insurance, the tee shirts, lunch for my staff, tables and chairs, music, odds and sods related to the show, and a donation to my first aid agency that attend all day. Thats why you pay me to get in, cause I'm not generous enough to soak up the cost myself. If I don't put on the show, there would be one less place to congregate and show off your pride and joy in like minded company. LeRoy.

raven and wicarnut like this.
  29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Why not reduce the cost, if any, of registration instead? Or pay the DJ more. I've no need for door prizes. Nor do I participate in gambling (50/50).

30. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

we did give away the mayors choice award. this homemade dragster. trophy.jpg

raven and KoolKat-57 like this.