Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Freeze plugs??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by furyfan, Sep 30, 2019.

1. I was told many years ago it was a cost thing- steel plugs were a lot cheaper than brass, that's why they used them from the factory. (every cent counts!). Clean the hole and plug edge, apply Permatex, and install plug.
    We call them Welsh plugs, and they work- never found a Welshman hiding in my block. If it ever gets cold enough to freeze the water in my block here, I'm heading further north!

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. I was thinking the main reason they started using brass ones was because of the boating industry.
    Steel ones won’t last very long running in straight water,,,or salty water either.
    Like another poster stated earlier,,,I have seen old ones that looked almost new and new ones that looked like hell.
    Mostly depends on who is taking care of the engine and the coolant in my opinion.

Tommy

3. squirrel

squirrel

Mostly, brass freeze plugs are a marketing thing. Someone figured out that people will pay more for something that's "better".

4. Budget36

Budget36

Won't read all the BS, but been commonly called freeze plugs for as long as I know, yes, we know why they are there.

dirty old man likes this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

Brass plugs will never rot, I've had well maintained engines and had to replace the steel ones. I don't have to replace them often, but when I do, I use brass.

Ya'll do what you want to do.

6. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

The freeze plug went bad in the 58 Edsel Pacer which is essentially the same as a 352 FE and it was the one behind the motor mount. I didn’t want to remove the engine so l slipped out the motor mount and lifted the engine a little bit but the engine/front crossmember was still in the way. So I bent up this 3/4 drive extension and put on a socket that fit the freeze plug and tapped it in.
    902DFD61-5009-49CE-AFF0-CEC04BF9F963.jpeg

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Couple years ago I replaced right side freeze plugs in my SBF, originals from '67 only 50 years old...

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

9. Hey tripower,
    Man ,,,that is what I call innovation!!!
    That is a work of art,,,in tools at least.

Tommy

10. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Only reason I can think of is corrosion due to electrolysis. I always use brass though, mostly cause I like the way they look, but also because I tend to neglect the cooling system in my regular ol’ normal cars

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Me too.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

Nope. The manufacturer did not place them there to safeguard you against not maintaining your cooling system properly. Nor do they "save" your engine in the even that you decided it was ok to run straight water in the middle of a cold winter. I have a buddy that has 1969 440 block laying in the dirt next to his shed. It is split right down the middle between the two core plug holes. He welded it up years ago but apparently doesn't trust the repair enough to invest in a build using that block. I wouldn't either.

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've always assumed the brass plugs were better because they would be less susceptible to rot than steel.

I've used a film of Indian Head on the sealing surface with success but I guess High Tack would work as well, or just go dry.

14. Clik

Clik

Yep. 440 Chrysler. Machine shop ran it on water prior to delivery and it froze. Freeze plugs popped. I put new freeze plugs in and so far all is well.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

When I was 17 the old man was so stupid I could barely stand to keep the SOB around, but as I got older he got a lot smarter.

dirty old man and Desoto291Hemi like this.