Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Square ladder bars

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coupe33, Oct 2, 2019.

1. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been looking for some square ladder bars and all that I have found are a set on E-baxy and L&L traction bars on Bronco Graveyard.com. Every car /truck I have ever built I have used ladder bars so I thought a change for me would be Square bars. Does anyone know of another source?

2. error404

error404
    from CA

If you can't find some, they should be very easy to make. If you aren't setup to make them, a local fab shop or garage friend should be able to make them easily.

3. any welding shop should be able to whip you up a set in an afternoon. they don't take rocket surgery.

loudbang and wvenfield like this.
  4. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would agree about any shop but not anymore. I worked as a welder back in 1976 & 1978 but I would not rely on that experience anymore.

loudbang likes this.

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

I've built ladder bars for myself and haven't had any failure. Had a fab shop for a number of years, but I'm not a certified welder. What kind of HP are you putting through to the rearend? Have an idea on the size of square tube and wall thickness you'd want them built from. What do you want on the ends? Two clevis in the back? Rod end or ?? in the front? Do you have brackets on the rearend yet? Dimensions? Lots of questions.

I'm not really looking to build stuff like ladder bars but I could. Heck....if you were a welder at one time I'd think with a bit of practice again you could get them built yourself easy-peasy.

Lynn

loudbang likes this.
  6. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drive is a 1970 454 450 HP 1" tube .120 wall 60 inch long probably 2 clevis in back probably rod end in front. All going into a 33 Ford coupe made from scrap and leftovers stock frame " 31 spline axles and limited slip just your basic street car. After all these years I am not so sure I can trust the skills needed. You only live one time and in the over the hill gang.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Use only new tubing. They are fairly easy to make. Don't use the hollow heim joints.

loudbang likes this.
  8. lake_harley

lake_harley

coupe33.....considering all the other stuff you'll be doing to build your car I'd bet you're up to building ladder bars. Make a jig so you can build them identical, cut the pieces and then use the leftover tube to cut into small pieces to practice up on your welding. Or, at least tack weld them and then take them to a local welding shop you trust to finish them up. I like to idea of using a jig but you could also just bolt them side by side, perhaps with some spacers in between to weld them up. To me the toughest part would be threading bungs for the clevis' and rod ends. I have a lathe but it's not big enough to drill and tap 5/8" or 3/4".

Lynn

loudbang likes this.
  9. Make your own. These are 25yrs old and going strong.
    file-36.jpeg

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

I've never done it before but I'll be making my own. Square tubing is pretty cheap.

loudbang likes this.
  11. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the input. I did find some more at Motor City K 5 60 inch but they connect with a couple muffler clamps on each side. I really do not think that would be the best.
    Currently the car has a torque tube rear and I was setting it up for a 52 truck 3 speed and 331 Cad but it just doesn't motivate me. The old 454 is a mover and I have the 9" rear hanging on the wall so I may just use the P&J I have. I know I will not have time to add one more job to the list along with splitting the winters wood for the shop.
    Thanks again

12. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I almost made these square because I think they look cool, but I had the round tube laying around.

[​IMG]

They went in my '33 coupe.

[​IMG]

Whatever you end up doing, make sure and post lots of pics.

-Abone.

13. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been on the forum for a couple of weeks and I was always trying to figure it out when it was a wheel! I never figured out the picture thing but I can appreciate your set up and picture!

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Coupe -

If you use square tube, support the hell out of them.
    Round tube is stronger than square with this loading, so...with the power that you may have...

Mike