Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Simca Marmon Flathead V8 from 1987!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by edwardlloyd, Oct 1, 2019.

1. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

It has a gigantic two piece truck pan. The German ones have lovely aluminium pans you can use. I've got a 59A-B steel pan to use.
    I still don't know whether it's easy to convert the oil pump pickup. I'll get to that later.
    Yes it's great to find out you can use a Zephyr carb on the French aluminium manifold. That'll look crazy cool all in naked alu.

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. birdman1

birdman1

hard to believe grown men can get so excited over a flathead!!! I had my fill of them in my 1953 Ford! have fun!

catdad49 and clem like this.
  3. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I was wondering what you'll be doing with that distributor. Any thoughts on selling it?

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Its probably 24v system

5. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Big duece, I would think it might be. I want to put together a flathead Ford powered flatfender Jeep and would like a waterproofed ignition system for it.

raven likes this.
  6. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Yes. It'll be available. One of the spark plugs is damaged but I could get another one.

7. chrisp

chrisp

I don't want to hijack the thread but I have a 3.9 cargo engine and a 4.2 marmon crank do you think it's worth the trouble?

8. BJR

BJR

"I don't want to hijack the thread but"..... I am going to do it anyway. :eek: Start a new thread with a good title and you will get many more answers to your question. Much better then posting on an existing thread.:D

jimmysweden likes this.
  9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The French also had regular 59A type aluminum pans. Source not known by me...According to general reading here and there there were 2 different army truck types relating to the recent discovery of 1980-'s flatheads, but of course there were also many real Ford trucks built there (SAF, not post-Ford military) using normal European flatheads.
    I suspect these used 1942 type 239's carried over from WWII until Ford sold out of the French market...dunno for sure.

Moriarity likes this.
  10. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Nice! Just got my first Hot Rod 2 weeks ago. Has a 1946 Flathead. Super excited about it. Good luck with yours.

11. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

A question about water pumps. Obviously these gigantic water pumps are going to have to go. I read somewhere that only truck pumps fit. Is this true or can I fit normal 59A-B passenger pumps. 20191007_084515.jpeg

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The trunk pumps from Drake are what I used. They were used a lot because of the low mounting pad, Mercs where high mounting pad, and the cars didn't have the pad?? The French block is mainly a 8ba block, with a 59a bellhousing . So, use 8ba style pumps. The main reason to use 8ba pumps, the pulleys stick out front to clear the distributor. Get a 8ba crank pulley too. 0711rc_05_z-flathead_water_pump-.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

You can also use that timing cover, it has a cool thrust button for the end of the camshaft. I made a bushing that makes up the difference when installing a stock or aftermarket distributor. thumbnail (60).jpg

14. FlatJan

FlatJan

i used 8BA truck pumps too. Originally they are staggered. After conversion no more, what i found to be good. You can use them with the original pulley when using a wide belt. No other crank needed. Yours should be 4"

correct, but usually those don´t have the 4" crank as they are from early trucks (Cargo)