Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. And they won’t burn you upholstery!

2. koolbeans

koolbeans

You bet. Great idea. This stuff stinks to high heaven. If you get it on you, burn your cloths or your squeeze will.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. PLEASE DO NOT draw or write on a primered car with a SHARPIE that is not going to be stripped to bare metal later because after its painted (especially if its going to be a light color) it will bleed through later on. I've seen it happen.

4. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

+1 on pee bottle...

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Buy a house with a huge ass garage already up, the bigger the better. Outbuildings are only worth pennies on the dollar in the purchase of residential real estate, so you're getting a building at an extraordinary discount over the cost to build and you're financing it to boot right in with your mortgage.

To build a garage yourself, you're coming out of pocket the full sum in liquid cash, and you, instead of someone else, is taking the depreciation hit. Bad move.

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^ Absolutely correct. I'm going through this now with my new shop build after a 2-year search for the "perfect" house & shop I wanted, but couldn't find. I'm paying for it now.........

osage orange, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

My shop probably added $10K of additional value to my property over what it would have been worth had it not been there. It probably cost $50K to build. So the $10K is in there as part of my mortgage, at 3.75% fixed rate over 30 years... the difference in monthly mortgage payment for the shop is $45 a month.

Bandit Billy, belair and loudbang like this.
  8. Boden

Boden

I use a old cutting board when taking something with small pieces apart. Such as carbs, and distributors

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  9. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I know you mean to use it as a base to dismantle and sort parts on but I was reading this at work and my first thought was of beating the carbs and distributer apart with the cutting board, basically until they fall apart. It’s been a long day :)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

brEad, ratrodrodder, redzula and 3 others like this.
  10. Don't spray your "rust" with glossy clear coat..LLS.....there is matte clear.....
    There are different blasting media, use the appropriate one on the part.
    JB weld has it place, aluminum can be TIG welded, soldered or MIG welded.
    Double check your power valve in your old Holley 94......There are many different configurations.
    A card table is a wonderful addition to a garage....I have two.
    Try to keep a section of a bench clear so you don't have to work on the floor.
    Dollar Stores carry very small funnels....remember how hard it is to put oil in your jack...
    Dollar Stores carry hammers, screw drivers, scrapers and dentist picks.
    I hang my oil drain pan with the dump tube inside a funnel that is inside an old water jug.
    It is tough organizing a two car garage with 4 car garage worth of stuff. Remember, the walls.
    Don't use a cutting board....use a serving tray with a raised edge so your check balls don't roll away.....

11. 5brown1

5brown1

I use Avon Skin So Soft for cleaning oil, grease, tar, etc. from my hands. It works great and leaves
    the skin undamaged and soft.

12. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like using Baby Oil for cleaning hands....

13. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I hate it when my check balls roll away!:eek:

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 words for all of you considering a shop addition "renovation lending", I do a lot of it. As a lender we will not do a renovation loan to solely build a shop but we will fund a shop of you spend money on the home at the same time. You are correct that your $50,000 shop added a minimal value increase to your property BUT if you had borrowed $100,000 and added some living space, preferably a bed/bath, upgraded the kitchen and existing bath(s), then your appraised value would have gone up enough to cover the shop and you wouldn't lose any money on your investment. BTW, renovation lending bases equity on the future (improved) value of the property so don't worry if your existing home doesn't have the equity you need to do something like this.
    The only drawback is you cant do the work yourself, have to hire a contractor which is a good thing since most of you would be trying to MIG the studs and beams together.
    Squirrel knows his engines, Billy knows mortgages (licensed in OR, WA and CA NMLS 188558).

15. Watkins degreaser will take oil stains, ATF stains, and damn near anything off your good clothes provided you're fast enough that your old lady doesn't discover you washed the stuff in her good laundry machines....

brEad and loudbang like this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well you could Mig the studs together if you hammer in a few nails at the appropriate locations and then weld those I suppose...?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    rpm56 likes this.
  17. leon bee

leon bee

I inherited a lead hammer. Ugly as hell, I didn't think I'd like it but I really do. Instead of beating on something with my bare fist, and bleeding, cause I didn't want to ding it, I go get the lead.

18. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

He is referring to Billy Bandits post a couple of posts above it.

loudbang and clem like this.
  19. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

Lol you had me busting up at my desk this morning. Also the rest of that info was super helpful as my wife and I were just recently talking through this prospect. Thanks billy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  20. For those that are new to using rattle can paint and looking for good clean results (or those that have had poor results) i like Dupli Color best, first make sure the can is shaken VERY WELL not just 5 or 6 shakes, then put in the sun and rotate every so often till can is good and warm, if it's winter or cloudy just put in hot water. Make sure your prep work is nice and smooth and dust free. When warm, shake the can again vigourusly and do few test sprays and make sure tip is CLEAN and the area you will be painting in is also dust and bug free, then lay down a few light coats and let dry in between then a nice coat to finish and let stand overnight. A lot of very nice work has been done with rattle can so DON'T think its a short cut, it holds up well under normal conditions. Patience is your FRIEND. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  21. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

Also, on this topic: any clever ideas of how to store your grease gun without it making a giant mess? Over the years I just devoted an entire drawer to it and wipe it out occasionally, but that’s not a very expedient use of minimal storage space. I’d love a good idea to try

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  22. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah, grease guns can be a mess. Some greases seem to release the oils out of the grease and leak all over the place. Lately, I have been using Lucas Oil "Red and Tacky". It doesn't seem to release the oils as bad as others. Anyway, I keep mine in a big zip lock baggie.

23. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

I hang mine from some 3/4 conduit that's mounted crossed a corner of
    the shop kind of out of the way.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. Ha ha, Yeah, if you are a doctor! :p

25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You can pull the handle back on the grease gun, and relieve the pressure on it. That will help a little.

ratrodrodder, LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  26. Leakie

Leakie

05E0F6AB-90FD-48E8-9156-DCB6B6B38E26.jpeg
    Here is a simple solution...

27. Country Joe

Country Joe

5 gal bucket for my grease guns.

28. brad2v

brad2v

loudbang likes this.
  29. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Warming the rattle cans in warm water is a good tip. But don't put it on the stove! I just run hot tap water, fill the sink, and put the can in for a little bit.

30. Good catch :D, "patience". Stupid auto correct ......