Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We went to see FiFi today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Aug 31, 2019.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg My daughter and I went to our local regional airport today to see FiFi the B29. Fi Fi is one of two airworthy b29s in the world, what an honor to get to see and touch this piece of history!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  2. brady1929

brady1929

Beautiful aircraft and hot rod.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I used to see the warbirds a lot when I worked at the Yakima Wa airport. There were a couple of displays every year and it seemed to be a favored stop over spot when they were going though the area.
    I got stuck between the bomb racks in one of those bombers and ended up dropping out the bomb bay and never made it up front.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Warbirds and Hotrods definitely have a historic connection and they really look good together...That is a Honking Big Aircraft...and lookit' that steering wheel...those and many other parts have certainly made their way to many Dry Lakes Racers...Good Job Father Rusty...;)

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That's very cool that she into doing that with you. You should take a trip out to Oregon. There are quite a few air museums out here. Howard Hughes 'Spruce Goose" is in McMinnville. The coast and central Oregon have them as well.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That's funny you say that about her wanting to see the plane, as we were driving home I asked when she was going to get tired of doing things like this and she said when I'm dead! She has flown in the Ford tri motor, drives go carts, ridden in more hotrods than most adults and been to more car shows than you can shake a stick at! What a girl!!

7. belair

belair

I was out riding my motorcycle many years ago in the county and she overflew me at a fairly low altitude. I felt it before I saw her.No mistaking those 4 big radials.

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I missed viewing FIFI when she was at our airport back in the '80s, but booked a ride in '17 when she came back. I sat at the navigator table, like my dad had done in a B-29. Very memorable flight.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  9. X-cpe

X-cpe

I was in Yakima in June of '16 visiting my 95 year old dad. My sister and I took him and his 80 something year old lady friend to the airport to see a B-17, B-24 and a B-25. It was interesting to crawl up in the B-17 and B-24 and get a feel of what it must have been like. Not much in the line of ergonomics or creature comfort. They were also selling rides in a 2 seat P-51, but I figured that I could get way more enjoyment out of spending that kind of money for something else.

10. I’m scared to death of heights and positivity refuse to fly, BUT, if I ever had a chance to ride in a 17 or 29, I would JUMP at the opportunity. The guys who flew those Bad Boys had nerves and balls of steel. I don’t think they make guys like that anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

There is a B17 and a B25 taking rides and tours in Cinti ., this weekend . I have some photos of my car with FiFi and a year or so ago . I’ll post when I locate them.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Hate to hijack a post , but I’ll share my photos . Thank God there were kids , willing to give all to fly these tin cans to keep America free as we enjoy it today . God Speed them all to Heaven. EBCBE18C-2210-461E-A03B-A132D95703EF.png 316D54A6-E434-45DA-95BD-35A7F2373229.png 82AA9744-B5A7-48F3-8F40-28546B35AB0F.png CDB6F0B8-C702-4D69-9ADD-59A7267952FA.png 60E74C68-E796-43BC-A3CC-8D2B44FB7D2C.png

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the warbirds. My Dad flew 17's and later 29's during the war and after. We went to see the 17.24 25 and P51 when they came here. Took a ride in the 17-was a terrific experience.

14. X-cpe

X-cpe

Amen! If you read about them or watch documentaries, they had a very poor survival rate. They were about the same age as the students I teach at the community college and yet they manned up and took on the world knowing what they were facing.

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

We live about a mile from Paine Field/Snohomish County Airport; home to three aircraft museums, and I've not been to any of them. Terrible of me to do/say that; we have been to King County Airport/Boeing Field in Seattle; The Museum of Flight however. I just know if I ever go to one of the shows, I'm going to wind up on one of the planes for an intro flight, and they're not cheap. I have been to the Arlington Fly-In years ago; a non-tower controlled airport, and all the planes working their way down/up, can be a little more than "intimidating". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. Take it from me... the money spent on that experience is well worth it. 1650 cu. in., overhead cam, two-stage two-speed blower; that's some real horsepower. 'Specially if they throw in some aerobatics.

i.rant, chryslerfan55 and olscrounger like this.
  17. X-cpe

X-cpe

If they throw in aerobatics my stomach will redecorate the cockpit.

warbird1, chryslerfan55 and deucemac like this.
  18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several years ago there was an outfit that brought old AT6 type trainers that you could ride in or fly a bit. Wife surprised me with a one hr flight in one. Dual controls etc and more modern up grades and power. It was a great experience-got to fly it a bit after we were up-maybe 20-25 minutes-did some dives etc then pilot took over and did a bunch of corkscrews, full loops etc-made me abit quezy but was fine--loved it.

19. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Here’s a few pics when the war birds visited the Kankakee Illinois airport about 4years ago.
    Rides were available in some. $$$

Attached Files:

20. The group was here a couple of months ago. Did the walk through, but couldn't swing the ride $$. The young age of those aircrews was very sobering.

21. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

While visiting my niece in McMimmville a few years back went and seen the "Spruce Goose". Awesome old plane! There were many other planes there also. Was very entertaining. Paid to go inside the "Goose". It was way cool.

22. Yep...pretty bird....been a few feet away on the run down of engingies.....then there was a time she stalled out on our ramp in Dallas over the weekend.....I had to steer her away to the side ramp with an old Braniff Airlines tug with my buddy Bill driving the tug....can't wait to see her again in October here in Dallas..........

23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Well my post was deleted in HotRods , I’ll try it here . I think FiFi went down hard today in a flaming crash . I think last flying 17 remaining . Has anyone else heard this ?

24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

25. lake_harley

lake_harley

I believe FiFi belongs to the EAA. The OP also mentioned FiFi is a B-29, and the news article mentioned the crash was a B-17.

Still, very sad to hear that so many perished.

Lynn

26. Road Racer

Road Racer

Fifi was a b 29, not B17

27. lake_harley

lake_harley

I searched and realize I mis-spoke. FiFi is owned by the CAF not the EAA.

Lynn

28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Ok ; thanks it’s sad that another went down . Prayers to all involved for me . Thanks for the info ? I wasn’t sure what was correct on type of plane .

29. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Believe it was the B17 of the Collings foundation named the "nine-o-nine" It was the one I took a ride in a few years ago.

55Belairman and chryslerfan55 like this.