Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

2. rooman

rooman

Not really appropriate for this thread as this is a recent photo (as evidenced by the bogus 10 spoke front wheels)

Roo

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

And the silly screen in the...carburetor...scoop..!
    That's NOT vintage...

Mike

4. The front wheels are the worst thing in that photo.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

At least it has brakes.....

loudbang likes this.
  6. But it's still very cool.

XXL__, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. rooman

rooman

Here are some more from Pete Jensen's collection of Gotelli car shots. These are all of the beautiful and ill fated legs under car in which Denny lost his life.
    IMG_2212.JPG

Racing the Surfers at the Hot Rod Magazine meet at Riverside
    IMG_2213.JPG IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2219.JPG
    Another shot from the HRM event at Riverside
    IMG_2220.JPG IMG_2221.JPG IMG_2223.JPG
    Up against Prudhomme (in Roland's car) at Half Moon Bay
    IMG_2226.JPG IMG_2227.JPG IMG_2228.JPG IMG_2229.JPG

Roo

1947knuck, loner2, CGkidd and 14 others like this.
  8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Michael Black post 69995566_10220625363728089_4519944125415424000_n.jpg 71716651_10220625363688088_2027356067020668928_n.jpg

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

11. 6sally6

6sally6

Ahh yes!........Back-in-the-day when we could "hang on the fence" and watch'em go bye! Hate how the lawyers have ruined THAT too.
    So what its dangerous. So what something may go worng. So what its my decision! Just because the cars are wayyy faster today doesn't mean it could kill me dead-er! We knew the inherent danger of being that close but...that was our choice. When I got worried about my safety I could go back and sit in the stands (or go home and let somebody TELL me about it..That's REAL safe!)
    The rush and wind of those cars when they screamed by....the rubber tire smoke so thick you couldn't take a deep breath....the smell of nitro so strong you didn't WANT to take a breath....the absolute pounding on your chest as the sheer force of the cars (and engines) roaring by....the ground literally shaking as they launched!!
    Man...what a rush that will never be experienced again because the stands and the barriers and the "protection space"and the guard rails and the 12 foot fence are between spectators and the cars. Why??? Law suits if ANYTHING possibly goes worng. "We can make a looooot of money, because you weren't properly protected"! Faggot lawyers and greedy little boys wanting something for nothing. All these ways to "protect me" all the while smoking dope (and vaping) is acceptable.
    OK........I'm done.
    Thank you for your attention
    6sally6

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Dog_Patch, alanp561, CGkidd and 5 others like this.
  12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I remember. I remember John Collins telling me at Wichita at the Coca Cola race to go down at the finishline and duck down beside the guardrail, (at night)and watch when I go by, I'll wave at you! . We'll pick you up when we tow back. LOL. Goose's old Duster with a Donovan in it. Iron heads on it cause it was cool that night, trying to keep some heat in it. Flames over the roof. Ran 229 and change and I saw his arm out waving. Tom's Son Jamie was with us then. Good times. Never happen again. :(

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    alanp561, WB69, CGkidd and 7 others like this.
  13. rooman

rooman

The original red paint job as seen on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine, before the better known yellow and the final persimmon (following the chassis stretch)

Roo

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

17. rooman

rooman

18. 296ardun

296ardun

pomona opening klass.jpg
    Pomona, opening day, from George Klass. Pomona was a layer of pavement at the end of the parking lot of the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds. It opened with strong police support to get hot rodders to stop street racing.

pomona opening olds.jpg
    and it did just that for a while, as this stock Olds shows. But even when Pomona opened, most of the cars were competition cars, and street driven cars had less of a chance. Still, it was a chance to see what your stocker or street rod could do in a measured quarter mile.

cerney cad.JPG
    This was more like the kinds of cars that ran the drags even in the early days; George Cerney's Cadillac-powered deuce sedan, painted purple and yellow like his famous custom Plymouth wagon

grimes body up.jpg
    Carl Grimes displays the 322" Buick in his A/Altered, at Santa Ana

grimes hoyt cad georgia.jpg
    Atlanta Georgia's Hoyt Grimes, slingshot style with a carbed Cadillac and a belly tank body.

grimes hoyt cad 2.jpg
    and Hoyt Grimes fitting a blower to his Cadillac. This was all homemade, that's mostly the way that drag racing was done back then.

19. chase knight

chase knight

Yes, Gainesville. This was the first Turkey Trot event on Thanksgiving weekend in 1969. For many years it was one of the great independent races, along with Bakersfield and the Popular Hot Rodding classics. Regards, Chase

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. We used to stand along the fence right there on the fire up road and wait. We knew right where they would be when they lit off. They used to have what they called a Gainsville Smoker. Usually having a best of 3 match race with a pair of funny cars and top fuel cars. One of the best I saw was Big Daddy vs Clayton Harris. Garlits found out just how fast Harris was!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. 296ardun

296ardun

macs cars Picture 003.jpg
    Nice A/G, photo from the Dave McClelland collection

abbot riverside.jpg
    Joe Lee in Leonard Abbott's "Shifter," Lenco test bed.

anderson buddy.jpg
    Buddy Anderson, Chevy-powered Fiat, very competitive

Grudem duncan 2.jpg
    Harry Duncan's "Jitterbug" coupe, 354" Chrysler. Duncan was friends with Chrisman and John Moxley, all were accomplished hot rodders. Duncan's car later became the Pacific Body Shop special with a 296" flathead. Norm Grudem photo.

rod riders.jpg
    Rod Riders coupe at Paradise Mesa.

hanks tank amarillo.jpg
    Hank's Tank, from Shreveport, at Amarillo TX, racing a T-bodied coupe.

perez rudy hmb 59.jpg
    Rudy Perez, drag racer, photographer, HMB historian...Juggers Racing Team from Burlingame FL

nancy ken crawford 59.jpg
    Closeup of Tony Nancy's masterpiece, Ken Crawford photo

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

View attachment 4438700
    Rudy Perez, drag racer, photographer, HMB historian...Juggers Racing Team from Burlingame FL
    Burlingame California.

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. What's with the Gold MG on the cowl?

[​IMG]

24. rooman

rooman

Milani/Gotelli--driver and owner

Roo

EVL401, CGkidd, stillrunners and 6 others like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-10-5_3-28-29.png Tapia Bros. Collection
    Hey R,

That was one way to deal with funny acting trailers and hitch connections…

Even towing the 1940 Willys Coupe that we built for the C/Gas class was a new ball game. We had to handle the Impala with a secure trailer hitch and new driving techniques. Driving the Impala was a new sensation and learning all of the ideas on trailer towing-style driving. The short distance from our Westside Long Beach house to the Lions Dragstrip was not that bad, it was a good thing we did not have to travel to far away strips, even in So Cal. Sometimes, in the beginning, it was the tail leading the dog… but, it was still under control.

Innovation back in those early day of drag racing brought out some interesting ways to get to the drags. One was seen locally at Lions in 1958-59. The Tapia Brothers have a long history into drag racing. They got their start with one fast FED at Lions Dragstrip. The sleek dragster was very lightweight and was very quick.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-1-18-19.1136621/#post-12916639

Much has been documented from various sources and it led to the FED in action, versus, the twice as big, Green Monster in a match race. But, as usual, the little guy slays the big dragon.

Jnaki

And it all started with this photo from their neighborhood near Lions.
    upload_2019-10-5_3-29-25.png Tapia Bros. Collection
    Tapia Bros at Lions Dragstrip
    Some kid in a red Pendleton going eye to eye with the Tapia Bros FED race car. What, me worry?

Boden, fiveoh108, Offset and 4 others like this.
  26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Sure looks like it.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  27. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

28. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

29. tommyd