Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sam Barris chopped '32 3 window, into a Lions Drag coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kidcampbell71, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Apologies ... looked already here. Can't find it. Pretty sure it's been discussed here, but where ?

I think this is the bobbed fender, coupe in the HAMB header, above the forum ... rearview shot, passenger side, with guys with torches in hand. Chopped in the Barris shop.

If wrong, school me. Who has the scoop ? That stance wants to kick the sh*t out. Mean as hell. What did it look like, when fresh built ?

Supposedly, a Lions Dragstrip car.

Who owned it, who built it, and who bought it ? It was for sale in 2017 ... listed close to $50k. No clue if it sold, or if close to ask.

But anyway ... here's the coupe.

Screenshot_20191002-161708_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191002-161801_Chrome.jpg

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I guess that is what you call a rake/stance job. That just looks like fun with no worries.

mad mikey, dana barlow and Stogy like this.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've posted it in the Homogenized thread but don't know much about it other than like yourself, it would be nice to have in the Garage...but at that price and what most Vintage 32 Hotrods pull dollar wise that possiblity is not likely...:D

It reminds me of @bowie's Hotrod...at least in Stance and Attitude...

Searched and came up dry for info...I like it...I hope your request brings up some good news...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  4. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Nice car but, the one your referencing is a Valley Custom build that still exists in the Burbank area.

Stogy, loudbang, Hamtown Al and 2 others like this.
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love it too

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. @Rice n Beans Garage ... ah ha !! So the Valley Custom coupe was likely what was on the HAMB, then. Wow.

This 3 window, is cited as a "Barris chop" coupe ... is it on here, too ? I'll look up the other. Thanks for the reference.

There it is. 5 window. Courtesy of Rik Hoving. Funny, what the mind does ... ... ... me thinking similar, with one coupe placed on jack stands.. and the other on only tire. Lol !

Screenshot_20191002-171009_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    AHotRod, mad mikey, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I dig the stance but the fenders gotta go.:)

bob b. and akoutlaw like this.
  8. DESCRIPTION >>

This car was found in Hollywood, California ... where it has been most of its life. It was a local hot rod for many years, before it ended up with the man who built it, in it's current state.

It was chopped by Sam Barris, in the 1940's, & it looks to have been, a pretty, high quality, street car for several years, before it was turned into a race car in the 1950's.

The car was built to drag race in the 1950's, & it was parked, in 1958, after breaking the transmission, at Lions Drag Strip.

It has been maroon, green, white, black & blue. It was channeled, sometime, after it was chopped, & by someone else. While the chop is of remarkably high quality (even by today's standards) the channel is typical period work.

It was channeled, by removing, the front subrails & cutting the entire rear floor out. Both quarter braces, were cut as well, & the entire body, was lowered the width of the frame.

Everything is still there and there's virtually no material missing. A good metal man could unchannel the car very easily if so desired.

The body itself is exceptionally solid, it's really a small miracle it's this nice, as the car was left outside, in a backyard all these years. The only rot in the whole car is a silver dollar sized bit, in the driver's side lower quarter.

The garnish moldings & windshield frame are included & have been chopped, as nice as the car. The garnish moldings were plated a long, long, time ago.

Body lines are nice & the trunk floor is super solid, as well. The original 32 fuel tank was moved into the trunk & it has real '49-'50 Pontiac tail lights. There's a neat old push bar out back as well.

The interior is period perfect drag car, with a crude gas welded roll bar & a P-38 Lightning seat. The original dash was cut for two gauges on the left side, otherwise untouched. There's a bitchin' home made scattershield as well.

The motor is a 1940 Ford flathead, that's been equipped with Smith heads, a Sharp four carb intake manifold, four Stromberg 97's & an Eddie Meyer distributor, complete with an uncracked, Pierce Arrow cap.

The motor is long seized. There's a 39 transmission with a broken first gear & the rear is a Ford banjo, unsplit wishbones.

The frame is an original 32, that's had the K member, slightly modified, to fit a set of 1940 Ford pedals & a 40's Ford pickup master cylinder. It has an early suicide style front end and 42-48 brakes all around.

The steering box is also seized. Also included in the sale is a period perfect Halibrand quick change rear axle assembly. It's a Culver City unit & complete with Ford bells, hydraulic brakes, cast safety hubs & beautiful cut down backing plates.

There's also an uncut 1932 Ford firewall included with the car.

mad mikey, Torkwrench, slim38 and 7 others like this.
  9. Damn. Car was owned by a Spencer, Iowa ... hot rodder, named Jack Slaymaker, that recently passed away. :( He had recently acquired the car, from the description above, from a Hollywood California, backyard.

Thank you to HAMB'r Dyce, for sharing the information. Prayers to the family, Jack sounds like a stellar guy. Gone too soon.

Our own Jimmy B, posted a video, showing a 1953 movie, called "The Cool Hot Rod" ... check out what it used to look like ... at 2:10 ish. Damn.

10. 20191002_182942.jpg

20191002_183022.jpg

20191002_183103.jpg

20191002_183204.jpg

20191002_183135.jpg

... ... well, that was fast. Guess, I'll go back to sleep. :rolleyes:

As much as I like the so called, "drag version" ... the maroon iteration, is so much more of a fav'. What is the story with THAT ? Why did it change ? It was soooo' purr'fect. Oh well.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Very Cool - old film great - Thanks for posting - drag strip looks like Pomona

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Met a guy this summer who was from around the Fort Dodge Iowa area. We got to talking about cars and the Slaymaker name came about. a little more talking and this coupe came in the discussion. It was bought as being in a film from back in the 50`s. There is a scene when the guy pulls out of a gas statin and nearly gets hit. It was this car. That was the story told to me.

13. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

X2

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Read some were the Valley Custom 5Window was on a 33-34 chassis. It would be nice to see it sitting on all four wheels. Bob

[​IMG]

15. KKrod

KKrod

Great detective work. I hope more information comes forward.

dana barlow, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bitchn 3W! I’m thinking @Kid Rocker owns the Valley Custom 5W.

Stogy likes this.
  17. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

The Valley custom 5 window is owned by Jon Fisher from the Choppers

18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah! Right state wrong guy!

Stogy likes this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The frame looks to be 33-34. Look at the depth of the frame near the front crossmember. It's a lot taller on a 34 than a 32. The frame has more sweep ahead of the cowl as well. A 32 frame is pretty much straight.

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  20. catdad49

catdad49

Great movie, Thanks!

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wonder if that was an influence in @HomemadeHardtop57's Rootbeer Coupe...

Wouldn't change a single thing...the essence of Hotrod...thanks for the Thread and sharing the Gospel...;)...@kidcampbell71

I'm looking forward to further info on this Survivor...It actually does look as said pretty solid despite it's neglected state...​

kidcampbell71 and bowie like this.
  22. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Looks a lot like the Lloyd Bakan coupe

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This Coupe presents a dilemma to restore to its current mid to late fifties Drag Coupe state or bring it back to it's Street Duty Hotrod class prior to Race...

I happen to like both and they are both period correct...decisions, decisions...

24. catdad49

catdad49

Hard Not to like either version, but that 4 Carb Flatty...........Pure Race!

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  25. Here's how the Valley Custom coupe currently looks, owned by John Fisher[​IMG]
    DSC04290.JPG

26. From the early 70s
    valley-deuce.jpg

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice to know they could build East Coast style cars on the West Coast. Bob

kidcampbell71, jimgoetz and stanlow69 like this.