Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's It Worth To You?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasser57!, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I don't think the buyer overpaid.
    He may have been a local, 70 something guy like Gasser 57's Dad and also remembered that bad ass Hot Rod rumbling around town. The car STILL flips his lid. How do you put a price on that? I bet we can all think of at least a few cars from decades ago that we would have 'killed' for. Might have simply been someone that's been waiting for a legit survivor that wasn't rusted into the ground.

People retire and drop 30k on an extended European vacation. This Hot Rod filled the bucket on someone's bucket list. Love it!

2. gasser57!

gasser57!

Love the picture. Where did he get that?
    Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. gasser57!

gasser57!

Yeah, the point of the thread wasn't the cost of this car, but the cars we remember most from our life that trips our trigger and we wish we could purchase them. Essentially what price would you put on the car of your earliest dreams. Won't lie, if I find the '40 Willys of my dream I would be all in with the resources I have and more!
    Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Colonial Coupe likes this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p only if the ex wife is pretty and loaded.

gasser57! likes this.
  5. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I guess there were two painting made from a photograph of the owner and his roadster.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. redoxide

redoxide

If I had the cash I wouldn't hesitate to pay 30K for that piece of pure HotRod history. Your not only buying the sum of its parts your buying into the history of hot roding, right back to the hey days, the birth of the hobby we love . the toil , commitment and endevour, of the original builder and even the history of the car pre hot rod .. The history of the builder and the fun they had with the car .. So attached to it they didnt sell it but stored it away, part of them locked in time . These old survivor cars have a story to tell, they have mystique and soul.. those things has a value you cant put a price on.
    Restoring it to its former glory would be fine, but It would be ultra cool if it was restored in the same fashion as it was originally built . Viz , by a guy in his home garage, with the same enthusiasm as the original builder, not deposited at at a high end "rod shop" for a full over the top nauseatingly shiny finish and blister wrapped parts inventory ..
    Several years ago during the investor era you would have been lucky to get the body and frame for 30k it would have been off to one of the big guys for a new frame, billet wheels, and have the heart and soul ripped out of it ...

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think YOU get it. " REAL" hot rods from the 50's were put together with what parts were available and affordable to you from the many junk yards that used to dot the landscape. "REAL" hot rods were built with what parts you could envision and make yourself. Some of the people who built cars back then were true artists who could envision what they wanted and could make the cars come out to fit that vision. I didn't have the option of buying the latest, coolest thing out of a catalog. I don't resent those that do now. I had to make mine. I'll never be able to afford $30,000 for a car that someone else has built just as I couldn't afford the prices for the completed cars I would have liked to have had when I was a teenager. I built what I could so that I could race competitively and the cars I built weren't always the best looking but when they ran right, it was great. Today, I'm struggling to get either of my projects running but in my mind's eye, I can see what I want. Finding the parts at a cost I can afford gets harder every day, just as it was in the past. I can't understand the elitist attitude that some here have about the guy who wants a Brookville body or has someone else build him a car. It's his dream, let him live it. He's got a car built with the parts available to him at the time and if he has someone else build it, I can just about guarantee that he earned the money to build it. I wish I could say I'm sorry about the rant but I'm not.

j3harleys and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  8. $30,000 sounds way high to me, but it is a real hot rod that needs to be gone through and fixing only what needs to be fixed, brakes, hoses, wiring, ect...

To change this car or any barn find is like saying we need to rewrite the Constitution because the paper has yellowed!

big duece likes this.
  9. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Ya Know, a guy can spend 30K chasing a little white ball around the lawn for a few years and have nothing to show for it but a low score card. Whatever floats yer boat,... but I think I would choose old iron over a seven iron to spend those hard earned pesos on....

redoxide and dan31 like this.
  10. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow!!!! That car would have been @ Solo Speed Shop 30K?????? Yes Yes Yes Get it running the best you can & leave the dirt on it! It will BLOW AWAY any Perfect Paint 150K roadster! That is BITCHIN!!! Tks for showing! Bill

j3harleys likes this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Ditto.

12. Any more pics of the car?

30K does not get a lot in the 32 world today. Maybe more then it did 10 years ago, but still not a lot

stanlow69 likes this.
  13. Pardon me for not reading the whole thread. But I seen the picture of the 32, and the OP question. What's it worth to me? HUMM??? I guess I can't give a wrong answer. Since I don't have the money, or space for it, not as much as it is really worth! I think it's very cool, and worth that kind of money to someone for sure. I'd love to see it put in a museum with a barn find diorama, of an Hot Rod find, and stay as is forever! One can always build a 32 roadster now days. But that Rod is our History! Just my 2 cents. Ron......

14. In 1959, $200 to 500. In 2019 $15,000 to 20,000.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

funny stuff! $15,000. you should take that act out on the road.

WiredSpider and big duece like this.
  16. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I AGREE WITH GMAN0046 30K IS WAY TOO MUCH

17. williebill

williebill

I've never had a one owner woman in my life. Someone always got there before me.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

williebill, nothing wrong with that as long as your able to get past the used part.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    williebill likes this.
  19. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

If one can always build a 32 roadster these days let us know how many real old time builder 32 roadsters are at Hershey. Not repops. The real deal kinda changes the game! I think it was worth every cent.

stanlow69 likes this.
  20. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Wouldn’t fork over that much myself. That said, this is why I will probably never own a real deal 32 with a Cadillac engine

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

midnightrider78 likes this.
  21. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

my two cent's the price is what it is if I had the money I am in but don't so I go old school use what I have and what I can afford to get and make the rest and still be able to enjoy even if it is a Brookville body I am not getting any younger we all know how life works and things happen so now I am at a time in life that it looks like some dreams might be possible and if if it all works out I will above all DRIVE IT EVERY DAY no garage Queen get it dirty let the paint get chip go back to the roots of hotroding for the fun of it .

Attached Files:

22. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I can't think of anything more exciting than washing that for the first time other than everything that comes after that. You would have to resort it to as close to original as possible. Total piece of history.

23. choptop40

choptop40

The dust on it is worth 5 grand...ha ha

gasser57! likes this.
  24. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Did anybody ever hear any more about this car? Like where it ended up or what is being done with it?

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Don’t see many farmers build hot rods. My dad was one

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I have found once you get past the "used" part, everything is just fine. :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. clem

clem

old thread, but I don’t think one single person who commented read the original post correctly.......
    Which is pretty typical of the HAMB today.
    Apart from the graffiti coupe and ‘55, I don’t have any ‘particular’ car that I would want.
    And at the value of those 2, - I would rather build a clone.
    The graffiti coupe is what got me interested in ‘32’s, which resulted in this,

B4F4EDF3-FBC4-45CB-9A61-35C0BB1F5AB3.jpeg

......and will never be for sale...........

Just Gary likes this.
  28. clem

clem

I’m a farmer, by the way (as are others on here). Multi - talented bunch are farmers, see post above.......built a lot of it myself, with much appreciated guidance by @Gofannon on here.

29. Fat fingers and not proof reading, it should have said day not say.

Getting back to the roadster, it's worth what you are willing to pay, naturally Deuce guy's, especially old roadster's that were built back in the day would be willing to pay more that most. HRP

ct1932ford and j3harleys like this.
  30. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Being from South Dakota and raised on a farm, I saw first hand how talented innovated farmers are. Not to mention how they would step up to help each other out. BTW my avatar was built with a 303 Olds in a machine shed. I’ll have to scan the Polaroids of it.

clem likes this.