Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Registration in Georgia

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lake Modified, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Lake Modified

Lake Modified

Good morning, after several years finally getting to the point of thinking about registration although still have a ways to get this car streetable, I started this build in Florida and was up on their requirements. Have since moved to Georgia and cannot get a straight answer from anyone, including the DMV. Basically, the car is loosely based on a 1940's dirt track roadster. The frame is shop made, the body fiberglass, the engine is a 1981 Ford 300. I have heard so many different answers concerning safety and emissions requirements. If anyone here has gone through this in Georgia recently would love to hear from you.

Thanks

SM
    dfgh.png

2. squirrel

squirrel

go back to Florida and get it registered, then move to Georgia and transfer title?

I like to get the paperwork done before getting too far on the building of the car....now you see why...

3. Lake Modified

Lake Modified

Moving back is not going to happen. And, as I said, I knew what I needed in Florida. At the time, did not know I was moving to Georgia. So here we are... thanks for responding.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  4. From experience in Michigan and in New Mexico albeit years ago the branch offices many times do not have the knowledge of how to register a home built vehicle. Incorrect and or out of date information is rampant.

Contact the main DMV in Atlanta, write down the names of whoever you speak to and once you get to the person that gives you the information you need be sure to get their phone number or email. When you go to the local office to process your paperwork and they tell you your information or process is incorrect you have your contact information for them to call and clarify.

My worst experience was with the N.M. MVD, three different people I spoke to in the local office, three different answers. So I cut through the crap and called Santa Fe, got my information, did what they told me and went to apply for a title. The clerk glanced at my paperwork and said "This is not what I told you before" to which I replied "Then call this number and speak to this person in Santa Fe, this is what I was told that was required."

She called, fifteen minutes later I walked out with a title in my name and license plates. Of course your results may vary.

loudbang likes this.

5. Lake Modified

Lake Modified

I will try calling Atlanta. Am in a smaller town south of there. Thank you for the advice, never thought about calling there.

SM

loudbang and squirrel like this.
  6. chopped

chopped

Where are you now, that can make a difference.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 5window

5window

Well, to begin with, Georgia doesn't have a DMV, they separate functions between their Department of Revenue and their Department of Driver Services.Second, what are you going to use for a VIN? Hopefully you have saved all your receipts because I expect someone is going to want to tax your build. So government first, Georgia Hambers 2nd. Too late now, but Squirrel is right-paperwork should be done early in a build.Best of luck.

loudbang likes this.
  8. chopped

chopped

Round here we just call it the tag office. And they answer to that.

9. Have you done a Google search for registering a home built car in Ga?Most states list the process for the builder.

10. Lake Modified

Lake Modified

I don't know what I am going to use for a V.I.N. After talking to D.O.R they said I could use the engine number as the VIN but I need to get a title for the engine. I have a bill of sale for the engine but no title. Was bought from a junkyard. And as I said before to "Squirrel". This was originally going to be registered in Florida where I had all my ducks in a row. Things changed, I now live in Georgia. Florida is vastly different than Georgia. I have saved all my receipts, but right now that is the least of the concerns.

11. Lake Modified

Lake Modified

Yes I have thank you.

SM

12. Lake Modified

Lake Modified

I am in Fayetteville Georgia. When I called them, they said this was something Atlanta would have to handle.

thx

SM

13. evintho

evintho

A big help would be a build thread for the car on any internet forum. If not, pictures documenting the build on your laptop. When I titled mine as a 'specially constructed vehicle', the authorities wanted proof that I actually built it. I referred them to my build thread (on another website) which detailed the construction start to finish. It sailed through the process after that!
    And, I agree with the above statements. Get ahold of your states main DMV or authorizing agency and get explicit instructions on how to proceed. Contact info is crucial also!

14. chopped

chopped

Don't miss RWYB on Saturday. Reynolds isn't a bad drive from you.

brianf31 and dirty old man like this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Lake Modified, please see my PM (conversation) to you for my phone number and call me before you talk to the tag people again, as what you say and what you don't say can have a big effect on the outcome of your efforts on registering your modified. I've been through this and if you say the right things (and I don't mean lying) you can come out smelling like a rose. Say the wrong thing ad you're stuck with emissions control requirements, since you're in Fayette County.

5window likes this.
  16. chopped

chopped

Always surprised how many guys admit to a felony on the internet.

loudbang, kevinrevin, BJR and 4 others like this.
  17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Skip, not only do they admit to being felonious, they talk about something that they don't even bother to read the whole thread, or either their reading comprehension is seriously deficient, as in how do you find a title from another car like the one you want to register when the car you have has a specially built fiberglass body that resembles an old track roadster? SHEESH!!!!!!!!!!!!

loudbang and Nitroholic like this.
  18. GTS225

GTS225

Got any friends left in Florida? You already know what's needed to title it there. Have one of them register it, then sell it to you for a buck, or even a C-note, and transfer it into a Georgia title.

Roger

lake_harley and firstinsteele like this.
  19. Sorry slow kid here where is a felony? A guy has a fg body and scratch made frame sounds like a homemade.....

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

scan the hamb's avitars… contact guys from ga.

21. chopped

chopped

Can't buy a title to use on another car. Some get away with it, some don't

loudbang and dirty old man like this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

It amazes me the people who get into these title and registration discussions that don't live in the state(s) involved and don't know shit from shinola about the laws and regulations that are pertinent.

loudbang, warbird1 and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  23. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

You won't get a Georgia title. Anything '84 AND OLDER just gets registered.....NO TITLES issued. If you can use the number on the engine, you're golden....it's still pre '84. Couldn't be easier, but your car will be registered as an 81. If you're concerned about a title, have a friend in Fla. go through the motions.

lake_harley and dirty old man like this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just exactly what I'm trying to get across to the OP. We are set up for phone call tomorrow and I plan to tell him about the traps a wrong answer can get you into.
    If he can establish the year as the same as the engine, then no title and no emissions inspections.

25. Georgia never did title anything older than a '62 model. There was never anything but a bill of sale for '61 and older models.

26. Lake Modified

Lake Modified

I'm not really concerned whether it has a title or not. The people I talked to at the Revenue office stated I had to have a title based off of the engine numbers since there are no numbers on the frame. They cIaimed they couldn't even begin the process of registration without a title. Right or wrong, that is what they said. I then asked what happens if I have to or want to replace the engine for any reason. They stated I would have to go through the title process all over again since the number would no longer be valid. I really don't care what it is registered as or what year as long as emissions doesn't apply. They did state since it is a 1981 engine, emissions would not apply to this engine.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  27. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

loudbang likes this.
  28. Lake Modified

Lake Modified

Will look it over... thank you.

SM

29. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I didn't edit my post quick enough...:) read the parts about "assembled motor vehicle" on the SEMASAN website.

30. ... how about using some form of punctuation... :p