Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 ford grill fit

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1124jhh, Oct 1, 2019.

1. 1124jhh

1124jhh
    from Auburn,CA

The grill on my 1940 Ford standard does not seem to be wide enough to get around the radiator and bolt to fenders. Anyone got experience that I can steal, seems to me that I have to notch grill to fit. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

In the picture it appears your radiator crooked the grill fit looks good to go

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

is crooked rather

4. At first glance it looks like the radiator is crooked, but I think it's the grille being loose to the fender on the passenger side still. '40 Fords, both Standard and DeLuxe have some rather complicated bracing in this area and if any of it is missing the fitment issues will happen. Do you have the fender brace that bolts to each inner fenders in place? It looks like the passenger side fender needs to be pushed out a bit to allow the grille to be bolted along its' edge. Fitment and alignment of the hood and front sheetmetal on these cars can be a real handful to get right.

5. WDobos

WDobos

Years back Street Rodder magazine did a big article on aligning the 40 Fords front sheet metal. I remember thinking that it was quit a task to get it all straight.

6. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

You might try the FordBarn for some advice.

7. I've done this several times..always a struggle.
    The experts will tell you to align the hood with the cowl first, keeping all other attaching points loose, eventually bringing them together, tightening them as you go.
    I've yet to get one perfect, only acceptable.
    One thing to be sure of, you don't need to *notch the grille" to make it fit.
    Patience is your friend.

8. If olscrounger sees this thread he will be able to advise you. Between him and his wife they've done this a hundred times.:).........................Don.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, hood to cowl first. Then grille kinda in between fenders and fit them up to the hood (keep them loose). Radiator last. Do you have original parts everywhere? Including the small radiator stay rods that go to the inner fender panels? Those should tell you the proper distances.

lothiandon1940 and john worden like this.
  10. 1124jhh

1124jhh
    from Auburn,CA

Thanks for the advise guys. I will use tie bars to make sure radiator is correctly positioned and separate fenders to see if grill will clear radiator, it's 7:30 AM and will not be able to get to it till this evening.

11. 4tford

4tford

IM001596.JPG IM001596.JPG

Here is a couple pictures of mine. You can see my trans cooler is between the grille and the radiator. Gives you an ideal of space between the grille and radiator.

Attached Files:

Bandit Billy likes this.
  12. oldolds

oldolds

One thing I was told to do on early Fords was if the hole was big enough for a 5/16 bolt you only put in a 1/4 bolt. Always one size smaller bolt. That is how you get adjustment. I have never built an early Ford, but have listened to those who own them

olscrounger and fordflambe like this.
  13. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Show off!!!! LOL. Nice mill.

4tford likes this.
  14. 1124jhh

1124jhh
    from Auburn,CA

WOW, I have an issue yet to be understood. Thank you for letting me know what it should look like. Joe

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

As I recall on 40 Fords there are 2 sets of holes on the top frame rails that allow you to move the bottom of the radiator forward or backward. Look carefully at your frame rails for these holes. You can also make the radiator to inner fender panel straps shorter. On my 40 DeLuxe I also removed the springs on the stock radiator bolts and actually lowered my radiator. You probably don't need to do all this. Just ideas for consideration. If you're not using the fender support Y bracket (last photo) make sure the fenders are not pulled in too far. I replaced the Y bracket with 2 pieces of 3/4 angle iron that bolt to holes already in the frame. Works fine. You could also tilt your radiator back just a little bit for clearance. Perhaps the top of your radiator is too far forward. Check your hoses. Might be too long. Be patient and don't be tempted to cut up your grille.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  16. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Repop parts and parts from another car can cause fit problems as well.

17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

are you using a '40 frame or an earlier year? earlier radiator mounts are in different positions versus the '40, which will cause a problem when time comes for sheetmetal.
    upload_2019-10-2_13-4-0.png

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Olscrounger has some really good tips on that stuff. I did the 1/4” bolt deal when I put mine together and that helped a lot too.

olscrounger and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I don’t recall any of my 40’s having two holes for radiator positioning. You got me lookin now.

olscrounger likes this.
  20. fordflambe

fordflambe

I agree with okiedokie regarding the number of mounting holes........

also, once you get past the whole radiator/grille problem, and once you get around to closing the hood, you will want to check the clearance between the top of the radiator and hood latch (inside your hood).

21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sent him a PM with my ph number last night--he lives just up the hill it looks like.

22. 1124jhh

1124jhh
    from Auburn,CA

I may not have been forthcoming in my post as the frame is a 1939, every other hole from engine to body to running boards was a match so I did not consider the radiator mounting holes to be an issue, but if I move the radiator back about an inch and a half I think it will work, will be busy tonight.

23. Being that the frame is a 39, you need to mae sure your 39 frame didn't come from a 39 Standard. Standards have a completely different radiator mount bracket. If it turns out you do, send me a PM I have a real nice set of 40 radiator mounts left over from my 39 standard project I'll mail you. the original stuff always works better than the aftermarket bracket kits.

24. 1124jhh

1124jhh
    from Auburn,CA

Is there a way for me to know if my frame is for a standard or deluxe ?

25. sent you a PM, but I will put the same info here for others in the future

26. The easiest way to tell is in the front crossmember and the radiator mounts. on the 39 standard and 35 to 38 chassis the biscuit locations for the front motor mounts are lower than the top edge of the frame rail, the 40 motor mount locations are slightly raised above the edge of the frame rail. don't know whay the difference but its there. The radiator mount brackets for a 39 standard and 37 to 38 ford are the same. Where they attach to the front crossmember and the frame rail is flat and then raises up about 2.5 inched to where the radiator attaches. On the 40 radiator mounts its baiscaly a flat triangle of metal that is riveted in with no rise. The 40 mount is a little wider at the mount holes than a 39 standard. but you can get a 40 Radiator on the earlier mounts. On a 39 deluxe it is that same radiator mount as a 40, so it only applies if it was a standard model. here is some pictures I have of min standard mounts, and front crossmember, not the best but you should be able to see it. The first picture is the 37 38 and 39 standard radiator mounts. The 40 should be flat with no rise.
    20160523_200332.jpg 20160612_175044.jpg
    the front crossmember that I put in this to replace the butchered original is a 40. if you look at the picture above you can see that the motor mount area dips down, and on the new cross member below it raise up just a bit instead.

20170219_124158.jpg 20170423_130222.jpg

The 39 guy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Here is an older Wescottt dimension drawing .
    Frame Dimensions.JPG

28. 1124jhh

1124jhh
    from Auburn,CA

Digesting all this info, thank you. Joe

29. 1124jhh

1124jhh
    from Auburn,CA

Found that the hole for mounting the radiator on the frame was closer to the frame horn than any spec showed, moved the radiator back one inch and all is well. Hole is 1 9/16 and should be at least 1 7/8, now have to find passenger side grill plate so I can reassemble. I thank all for your concern and nailhead Jason for specs that cleared it up.

lothiandon1940 and The 39 guy like this.
  30. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

have some grill plates I think