Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Winter time storage Sta-Bil or Seafoam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Soon I need to put to bed 6 vintage cars. One is fuel injected the others all conventional carb and mechanical fuel pump engines. This fuel is screwing up one car badly after sitting for 4 months. Should I pour in a can of Stabilizer or pour in a can of Seafoam? Maybe you've found someting more effective?

2. I've always used Sta-bil, but I know guys that swear by Seafoam. Guess that's as ambiguous as I can be.:D;)

fordflambe and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. I try to start stuff up during the Winter and even add some fresh fuel as well. Weather (and road salt) permitting, I might even catch a nice enough day to drive cars out for some exercise and new fuel.

4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I've used Sat-Bil on my garden tractor for years. It starts first time every spring so I'm a believer. If you have EVER used gas with alcohol in it, might try their additive for that', too. Have a few friends using that and are impressed with it. Follow the instructions and their products seem to work great.

I have another friend that is a Seafoam nut. Uses it for everything but shampoo. I've used it for running engines to flush a tranny or sticky carb. Worked fine.

I prefer the Sta-Bil products for storage.

SPark

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I've always used Stabil. I also NEVER use ethanol fuel in my old cars. This combo seems to give good results.

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Whatever stabilizer, it's important to add it to fresh fuel to begin with. It won't be effective if the fuel has already started to sour. I've had better luck with 100% gasoline than the stuff laced with corn squeezins. I like PRI-G as a fuel preservative. I use Marvel's in the fuel pretty religiously, though I don't go to church. It seems to help with keeping carbs and fuel pumps happy, and valves moving.

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Sta-Bil Marine fuel stabilizer, never have a problem in the spring.
    KK

impala4speed and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That's what I like hearing is first hand experience. Never used Seafoam. :cool:

9. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I vote for sea foam, have used it for 30 years and had any problems in sprig. I top off the gas, ( always non oxy fuel) a can of sea foam
    ,Pull the battery cable and put a cover on then done until spring. I don’t starting it in winter I don’t think it gets hot enough to burn off the moisture

10. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Always used Stabil. I'd get it in the spray can when I had my dragster. I'd spin it over and spray it through the throttle body and then spray the pump and barrel valve full and plug them up, I ran alky. Never had any problems. All my other stuff, generator, mower. and anything else that was gas got it added to the fuel tank. I also add the additive they got for this crappy gas to help with the alky that's in the gas now. Chain saw, weed eater and anything else that sets a period of time.

11. I've been driving for 45 years. Where I am, I put my hot rods and Customs to bed in October. For at least a good six months. Year after year. I've never had a problem starting them and I've never had any fuel related issues from sitting. I've never used a stabilizer of any kind.

Tri-power37 and 49ratfink like this.
  12. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I also have never had problems with gasoline in any of my cars over the winter, I don't use any stabil or seafoam in them. BUT! I have had many problems with todays ethanol fuels if I forget and leave untreated ethanol in things like generators or pressure washers, rototillers,etc. I think 6 months or less seems to be OK, but more than that I would use ethanol free gasoline with stabil or seafoam. I accidentally left a generator for 2 or 3 years and of course it wouldn't start. I rebuilt the carb and made sure stabil was in it when it was left for a year or 2 again. This time I was afraid it wouldn't start but I pulled on the rope real easy, trying to get things loosened up some before I actually tried to pull hard and start it and it started like it had just been shut off! OOPs I guesss I got a little off topic and not too HAMB friendly, but just wanted to share that I really do believe in Stabil....

13. Sporty45

Sporty45

I've been using Star Tron for a few years and have had zero issues with my yard equipment. Always start with one or two pulls come spring. Use it off and on during the year in my cars as well. Good stuff!

carolinakid and Graystoke like this.
  14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's what I do. Up here, in the Brainerd Lakes area, no alcohol fuel is readily available, so that's all I use. The last time I use a car in the fall, I fill it up, add a pint of "SeaFoam", and drive it to my storage site. After I have all of the cars put away, I have a 2 gallon can of gas, and I fill every one of them up as much as I can, so there is a little air in the tank as possible. Air means oxygen, which leads to oxidation, which is the real culprit here.

It may be a little extreme, but I have never had a problem. As to the StaBil/SeaFoam question; I use SeaFoam just because I think I need to use something, and it's cheaper. I think the real secret is eliminating all of the air (and therefore oxygen) from the system.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    tractorguy likes this.
  15. Filling mine with ethanol free fuel ,running it for 15 minutes and then topping it off.

tractorguy likes this.
  16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm use StaBil 360.

tractorguy and dirty old man like this.
  17. Graystoke

Graystoke

I hope you don't mean to add a stabilizer to the old gas !!! That won't do anything. You can't restore stale fuel !!!

18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've gotten in the habit of running my small engine's out of fuel before storing. On vehicles I use Staybill and run it to the carb but then run the carb dry.
    The alcohol fuel is so corrosive on every thing, but my preference is completely dry.

19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I've used both Seafoam and Sta-Bil, I think they are more or less equal.

20. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

retired and back working in the turf industry. hustler mowers.
    we use and sell https://b3cfuel.com/
    good stuff
    vp racing relabels it under their name too

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah; I'l add an editorial comment. Both SeaFoam and (especially) Sta-Bil are waaaaaay over priced these days. I'll probably do without them this winter (but I will make sure the tanks are all completely full).

I believe the marketing departments in both companies are aware of threads like this and are taking advantage of those of us who just have to have the latest "hot" thing.

22. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Sta-Bil has worked well for me, for years.

SeaFoam cleaner isn't worth the money (in my opinion), so I'm not gonna try their fuel stabilizer.
    Tried the cleaner, not happy with it. Don't see a reason to try another product from the same company only to be disappointed.

Mike

23. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

When it’s time to put my coupe away I fill it up,add Stabil and run it for a few minutes.
    I hook up the battery tender and cover it up. Come spring it fires right up.:D
    All my small engine stuff gets run out of gas before storing,works for me.

24. A Boner

A Boner

Use aviation gas if you can get it.

25. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Like others here I have never used a fuel stabilizer. I only put chevron 94 in my cars and it is advertised as having no ethanol. Ethanol in fuel is literally a recipe for disaster when it comes to fuel sitting around. Over winter I try to get my cars out for a good run once in a while if the weather clears up - but one car I let sit for 5 years. Dribbled a little gas down the carburetor started up instantly- gas smelled old - drove it to chevron put fresh gas in... no real problems.

tractorguy likes this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I put Stabil in my car when I downed it for the engine swap 3 years ago. This summer, I decided to pump most of it out and put fresh back in before I started the replacement engine. The gas that came out ran just fine in my lawnmowers, it didn't even have that old gas smell. I've used it for the last several years in my 2 cycle equipment, only had a problem with one string trimmer, everything else started right up in the spring.

tractorguy likes this.
  27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I too swear by Star-Tron...especially if you are running E85 through an Edelbrock (or other alloy) carb. It's also less of a solvent than Stabil or Seafoam so it is easier on plastic, rubber and alloy parts. I use it on every 3rd/4th tank of fuel and add it for winter storage.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is this away? What is this win-ter?

I put on windshield wipers, or rain gear, if I am on the motorcycle.

Blues4U and tractorguy like this.
  29. jazz1

jazz1

No alcohol fuel and add a shot of Stabil then shut off fuel and run till carb is drained. Do the same with me boat

30. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Two tee-shirt weather, eh? Sounds brutal.

raven and gimpyshotrods like this.