Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 2004r Installed convertor wrong - now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blanchae, Apr 15, 2016.

1. sdluck

sdluck

I admire your drive

4274SPEED and Hnstray like this.
  2. blanchae

blanchae

5 years later and only 200 km driven (yes, that's right), the transmission has been nothing but a nightmare. Still hard down shifts. Took it to a tranny expert and put a pressure gauge on it. The line pressure was so high - for a full race transmission. He suggested that I start with the line pressure valve. So I bought a CK Performance shift kit and installed it according to the directions while the tranny was in the vehicle. Took my time over 2 weeks, double and triple checking. Started it up and the transmission sounds like its going to blow up. Good pressure in Park, nothing in any other gear. Sigh. So taking it all apart again and putting it back the way it was if I haven't destroyed it. Went to the wreckers because there was an 87 Caprice and naturally the tranny was gone. First time finding one in 5 months - scarce as hen's teeth.

3. Wow! Sounds like you have discovered all the problems you can have w/a 200R4. I rebuilt and installed two in a couple of my builds and have had great success with both. Mods I make are few; new stator shaft which are always chewed up on stockers; TransGo shift kits; and reduced weight and remove 1 spring on governor to improve shift points. Governors are cheap, only $12 last time I bought them so you can afford to experiment.

Oh and always use a BowTie Overdrives throttle cable cam on the carb.

Here are some pics on the governor mods. I braze a small nail in the spring alignment hole since they are prone to jump out if not so constrained.

Left one is trimmed, right one is stock with pen markings on where to remove weight. This is t he only correct way to set shift points, don't try to do it with throttle cable. That has only one critical setting.
    13406794720.jpg

Another view of weight removal.
    13406794721.jpg
    This is the spring to remove.
    13406794722.jpg

view of the nail retainer brazed in place.
    13406794723.jpg

Hnstray and Algoma56 like this.
  4. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Sounds like your blaming the trans for all these problems and issues with it's behavior, but the truth is you got hosed by the guy who built it for you..
    The 200-4R I had in a hopped up 350 powered OT Monte Carlo SS and the one a buddy has in his '67 GTO all behave just fine, from a local performance trans builder.

5. blanchae

blanchae

Yep your right - I got hosed. I learned the hard way, buy local. Thanks for the info on the governor, I have a Monte Carlo SS in mine. I just want to be able to drive it and enjoy it.

6. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I've got one of each, 700 in the avatar and 200 in my belair moredoor, the 700 is a fine cruiser, the 200 is a performance trans for sure and replaced the powerglide with a minumim of work. Ralphie