Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods another what's it worth question:Y block marine intake manifold .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Oct 1, 2019.

1. southerncad

southerncad

OK, have a chance to get a couple of kinda rough, but complete Y block marine intake manifold with 2 sidedraft carbs. Not sure what they are worth, and is there much of a market for them. Don't want to end up with garage art, would like to sell them. Thanx for any input. Sorry, got no pics, yet.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The 2 carb intake that lays them flat in the valley? I’ve seen a few on hot rods lately I’d snag it if it was cheap.

dana barlow and tractorguy like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I sold one at a swap meet a few years back, think I got 200 buck for it. I also had it for a long time.

dana barlow and stillrunners like this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

mgtstumpy likes this.

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

They turn up around here on Craigslist fairly often. Never seem to sell very well or very fast (if at all). Could have bought a complete working setup for $75 and walked away from it. Mostly art to me.

SPark

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say there is a very slim market marine wise for those. About the only person who would want them is someone restoring a boat from that period who has to have it period correct rather than repower it.

7. Could you run this set up on a car?
    I’ve seen them before
    No clue on performance, but they do look neat!

8. I’ll sell you mine? Seems like there was a neat fenderless pickup a few years back that ran one?

You need the valley pan and water pipes too.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I literally saw a photo of the truck this morning and can’t remember his name gah.

But yeah I’ve seen a few running on cars

10. town sedan

town sedan

They look neat, but it's not much of a performance set up. I believe the carbs are 1bbl's. If you want an intake for go look for a 1957 up 4bbl intake, or one of the aftermarket intakes. If you do a search at Y-Blocks Forever Ted Eaton has done multiple intake dyno tests. The Offy 3-2bbl intake was at the bottom of the performance pile.
    -Dave

11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Its gotta be worth its weight in gold,,(sarcasm)
    What did you pay for it?
    What do you want?
    Do your own research by looking at sales sites, make up your own mind and then see what someone will pay.

clem likes this.
  12. upspirate

upspirate

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Was spelling it wrong no wonder I couldn’t find it earlier lol 9954EED7-8ADE-4741-B4D6-9D254ACD36AF.jpeg 8FC76199-7A3C-4CA5-B1EB-7C6A22D08635.jpeg 28AA15E2-66B3-4636-B5D4-E169053D53CC.jpeg 715D1281-8BB9-4C3C-9864-4C6EE4D2D792.jpeg couple photos stolen from his Instagram maybe he’ll see this thread in chime in. I love the look

Deuces, rpm56, belair and 1 other person like this.
  14. That’s it!

Tim likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I could see it being a great packaging trick on a track roadster

Inked Monkey likes this.
  16. They look neat but performance isnt great. They seem to sit on fleabay for long stretches for $200+ Being said Id snag one if it was cheap and wall hang it, though it would look real cool on a track nose roadster....

Tim likes this.
  17. 327Eric

327Eric

Last one I saw went for 25 bucks.

stillrunners likes this.
  18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Remember, it's designed for a boat. Boats pretty much run at a constant RPM once they leave the dock. In a car you are accelerating/decelerating and running different RPM's all the time. I was told they are very sluggish on the street. Fine for cruising down the highway but junk from light to light. That's why I never bought any I ran across.
    SPark

Blue One and town sedan like this.
  19. yep.....it's good eye candy.....sold a nice 3x2 at Pate swap meet for a $100...off a little on the price I had on it....

20. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I agree, cool looking but as said above I doubt there's much performance to be had there. The design seems pretty much rpm limited as far as range goes. Seems like it's designed for a pretty narrow rpm range.

Maybe if you built a couple elbows to bolt in place of the carbs and mount a couple regular carbs to the top of the elbows. Or a "log" to bolt to both of the elbows and run 3 carbs down the log.

Of course the above would be eye candy and to make people scratch their heads trying to figure out what the hell your running :)

Blue One likes this.
  21. clem

clem

Everyone on here is so helpful !
    Seems OP is only trying to flip them, doesn’t want to be stuck with them.

town sedan likes this.
  22. Yes I was just being a smart-ass as usual....;)

clem likes this.
  23. town sedan

town sedan

Could be used as a start for a twin turbo draw through set up....
    -Dave

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put plates over the stock carb openings and fit a 2 barrel on each flat top of the intake. Would look good on a rat. Bell crank linkage in the middle.
    I have a Y and wouldn’t own one of these at any price.

Blue One likes this.
  25. vickckik

vickckik

I found 2 of them in a scrap yard about 20 years ago. A friend suggested I advertise in a boat restorers magazine. I had several interested folks call me with questions and one guy paid more for the pair than I was asking. I think he paid me $500 for them. I know it was a hell of a lot of money. Finding the right market will be much easier on the interweb now.

Tim and town sedan like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Here is a better photo

int54.jpg

egads, kidcampbell71, Tim and 2 others like this.
  27. killbilly

killbilly

That last pic looks pretty cool all chromed up...my friend Silent Rick had one..dont know if he got rid of it or not...

loudbang likes this.
  28. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw a complete engine with that setup a couple of years ago at a mechanic's shop. When I went back to ask about them, they had pitched it in with all the other cars they crushed. Including a '59 Impala and a '67 Tempest convertible. Idiots.

loudbang likes this.
  29. The YH Carter carbs were used on Nash and Corvettes. The "air filters" are only for backfires and do not filter air. Flows about the same as a 97...both together.
    I looked into mounting three 94's on top........cheaper to buy a complete manifold.

town sedan and loudbang like this.
  30. southerncad

southerncad

Thanx guys for all the info both good and bad....guess I'll pass on them.

loudbang likes this.