Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hot Rod Photography in Central Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jpeg1971, Sep 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Hello group! I rarely post in here, usually poke my nose in here around March and see what's shaking for the next Round-up. A couple of folks might know me, most probably not, I'm an amateur, middle-aged photographer whose taken up shooting the Central Texas car scene over the last five years or so. Mostly I'm a hack, but I'm taking some formal classes and improving one step at a time. You can see me at shows lost behind my camera usually. I do this strictly for fun, point being I'm never soliciting as I never charge for my shots... so I'm not hitting anyone up for anything, I just like to share my work such as it is. I have an Instagram page but I wanted to share some of my favorites from this season so far, pictures to follow. Thanks for looking! -Jeff

Attached Files:

2. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

I hear you! I like people in the photos... sometimes, but the lawn chairs, coolers, canopies.. ugh.

3. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

4. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

5. Looks like you got the hang of it. HRP

Stogy, Jpeg1971 and loudbang like this.
  6. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Thanks! I'm taking a class right now and it's humbling to say the least, but in a good way. It's fun, lots to learn.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

8. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

9. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

10. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

11. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

12. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Great pictures thanks for sharing them.

Jpeg1971 and loudbang like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...man them Tyars is making my eyes go funny...I sure hope he got a good deal on them...:D

Have fun with the photography...it's very rewarding random and always a challenge...;)

2010...:eek:...time to stop Lurking...;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Jpeg1971 and loudbang like this.
  14. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Haha... lurking indeed! I really only have my photography to contribute in here mostly. *shrugs*.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Theres a saying around here...Pics or it didn't happen...Your in...;)

Ron Funkhouser, loudbang and Jpeg1971 like this.
  17. Because of folks like you we get to see some of the cool stuff we missed!Keep it up,and thanks.

loudbang, Stogy and Jpeg1971 like this.
  18. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Thanks man. It's nice to feel like I have something to contribute to the scene. What I am is a guy who was lucky enough to be able to afford a nice car that someone else built, but if I can take my appreciation for these old cars and give the craftsmen a picture they're happy with that makes me happy.

Greaser Bob, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's always fun to see what the other guys take photos of and how their work progresses. I'm not sure that I am even up to serious amature yet. I'm getting past the walk by and click as I go mode though.
    People: If I hadn't had people in the photos at Deuce days I would have had very few photos and there were so many non car and non photographer spectators there that they didn't pay attention to those of us who were trying to get good clear shots of the cars. Still like in the race car photos Quick 85 showed the people in the photo tell the story. I won't take a photo of your car with your butt planted in front of it in a lawn chair 99.9% of the time no matter what though. that .1 probably means you know that I post photos on the Hamb and commented about it.

Things I really don't like around in front of cars and won't take a photo of one if some are there are. People laying on the ground around the car with a bunch of stuff on the ground.
    Lawn chairs and coolers and food or trash in front of the car Sit behind the damned thing if you want photos taken of it and clean up your damned trash and clutter as you go.
    Kids playing in the car If you let your kids sit and play in the car at an event I most likely won't take a photo of it.
    I'm not a big fan of walking into an area where a club has set up camp with their chairs and coolers to photograph different angles of cars either. That is more on me not invading space than anything else though.

True too I try not to take photos with outhouses in the background although some guys seem to like to park close to the outhouses. Sometimes clutter behind the rides is unavoidable at fairgrounds and race tracks though.

Main thing is that we take photos and share so others from around the world can see what we saw and that those of us who really are into taking photos challenge ourselves a bit to get better shots to share.

20. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Here's a couple that aren't in my wheel house... open doors, trunks, hoods and build posters. They're awesome for spectators, not so awesome for the photographers. The open hoods just kill the lines of the vehicle.

I will say this though, what bothers me the most... no wait that's not right, what I don't understand at all are the photographer's who damn near growl at people at a show for not clearing out of the way or walking in a shot. People come to the shows to look at the rides, we bring our rides to have them be seen. It's not anyone's job to get out of our way, it's our job to wait for the open sight line to present its self in my opinion. There's one or two photographers I can think of that make me wonder why they even bother going, they're always complaining and don't seem to enjoy themselves very much. Not to mention I want to be welcome back at the event, being a grouch to the public isn't gonna make the promoter, host club etc want you back next time.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  21. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

20190411-DSC_3820.jpg Here's probably my favorite shot in the last year. This was at the meatheads BBQ. I'd argue it's an "okay" shot without the people in it, it's one of my better shots because of them. The one guy behind the truck, and the one gentleman walking into the frame add two layers of space to the shot. The cars behind him, and the guys sitting in the canopy all the way in the back add two more layers of space to the shot. It's probably stuff only photo nerds will notice.

1947knuck, xhotrodder, 40two and 3 others like this.
  22. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Another shot that's not nearly as good without the people in it... a guy and his gal in a hot rod at the show is the subject... 20190412-DSC_4384.jpg

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I for one appreciate all the pics you guys post. Easiest way to make the shows and see the cars, people and scenery.

24. deadbeat

deadbeat

great pics guys, keep them coming. Me personally I like looking in the background and checking out stuff,, I'm weird like that,,,,cheers

Jpeg1971, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  25. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for pics & insight as to what you experience taking shot. I take a lot of pics at shows as I walk around looking at rides. Usually moving too fast to stop and wait for a good angle, etc - but, do know that if there is a special car that I want a pic of have to wait for people to clear from blocking car - yes, open hoods, etc mess up some but, sometimes motor pic more important than car - worse for me is the beautiful ride that installed non-nostalgic looking big rims - trying to get shot to show any of car tough - plus, will get bumped from here if big wheels dominate shot - use a basic point &shoot & cell phone - more power to those of you that have good cameras and take classes 20181215_143848 (2).jpg 20190712_190012 (3).jpg

27. Your photos are great. Please don't link to them or they will be gone in a couple of years. Downsize them (if necessary) and post them directly to HAMB.

Charlie Stephens

Stogy, loudbang and Jpeg1971 like this.
  28. rc57

rc57

Stogy, loudbang and Jpeg1971 like this.
  29. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

loudbang likes this.
  30. Jpeg1971

Jpeg1971
    from Austin TX

Might be late in the thread, but I wasn't necessarily trying to just showcase my work but get a discussion going about hot rod photography in general. If anyone wants to post pics that'd be great! Also, here's a list of some of the people whose work I look to as always excellent, and at that top level I'm hoping to get to one day. In no particular order:

Tom Davison
    Travis Royboy Scanlan
    Trent Sherrill
    Victor Vargas
    Gary Arbuckle
    RT Hicks
    Maria Herrera (Airam Arerreh)
    Mike Mossi (lucky shot images)
    Niner Girl Photography
    Rey Fierro
    John Jackson (not stock photography)

LBCD and loudbang like this.