Register now to get rid of these ads!

Restoring vintage UHaul trailer...Need pics please!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by REVEREND JAKE, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Just found out Saturday that some old 6k car trailers were converted to haul U-Box’s when that program started. Now they are building specific ubox trailers and the converted trailers were stripped and sold at auction. That may be what you bought.

2. j3harleys

j3harleys

I bought from a friend , Who bought 15 of them at an auction. It did come with a title. Title came from U HAUL Phoeninx Corporate office. They had been converted to haul some specialty type off equipment. The had pieces of angle and pipe welded on the deck and other places, the ramps and latches were cut off as were some other things cut off.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  3. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Well, all I can say, nothing good or bad will last forever and U-Haul does build good trailers. good for him!

4. Joe_dirt1

Joe_dirt1

I worked on the trailer line for 6 years in Portland, yes they sold a lot of the orange car haulers and some of the old tow dollies, they don't anymore...

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Several of the converted car haulers were just sold here. 5hay had been converted to accept POD style moving, storage, cubes. Apparently they decided not to continue that type of business and sold off the modified trailers as utility trailers. They had some welded on framing some hold downs and locating hardware. The ramps were removed, but the added equipment looked like it would be easy to remove and restore ramps.I may have some pics I took for a friend who wanted to grab one that was available here. They had 15 and when I got there all but two were sold on the morning of the day they became available for inspection and putting. Deposit down. He didn't follow through as he found a very little used 24 ft enclosed car hauler for chump change.

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY