Register now to get rid of these ads!

just joined today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1964turtle, Sep 30, 2019.

1. 1964turtle

1964turtle

I got a 283 in a 61 impala, we replaced the cam, we got the timing marks correct, we got fuel and we got fire to the plugs, also got the rotor button pointing to the #1 cyl. and all it does is spit thru the carb and won't try to start. I'm lost. I've done several 350 engines and never had any problems. this one is kicking my butt. it was running before just couldn't get it timed thats why we changed the cam, and boy was it worn the lobes were round and not egg shapped.

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

180 out on your distributor. Redo the plug wires or re-stab and see if that fixes it.......

3. redo32

redo32

If the cam was that flat there is a lot of metal in the engine. Hope you cleaned everything and even checked the bearings.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Possibly your distributor or camshaft was put in wonky.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Possibly was...but the name's Turtle'.

Oldioron likes this.
  6. flatford39

flatford39

Your off a tooth or so on your distributor. I drove a 61 Impala with 283 in high school. Sure wish I had that car back. It was a three on the tree as well.

7. You do know all that metal worn from the cam went someplace. Some possibly was caught in the oil filter. However much of it went thru the oil pump and circulated in the engine embedding in the bearings ect. and If you installed a new cam. It needs to start very quickly and run at a minimum of 2000 RPM for thirty minutes to break in the cam or the new cam will have worn lobes also. Fuel & compression and spark at the correct time and a engine will run. You have one or more of those 4 things incorrect.

8. I can stab a dist in a engine in any position and it will still run perfectly. all you need is to bring the number one cyl up to top dead center on the compression stroke. look where the rotor is pointing. that's number one and you wire it accordingly. The engine don't know or care where the rotor is pointing all that's necessary is for the spark to occur at the correct time.

Petejoe likes this.