Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Had Not Seen Daylight For 60 Years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Solospeedshop, Sep 23, 2019.

1. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

That Mail Truck needs to stay the way it is, great to see the old photos of it. Bob

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome find! The car was only 30 years old when it was entombed 60 years ago.
    How many miles on it?

What's the build plan?

4. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Back the way it was. You'd have one of very few in existence. Giving the 85 year old owner a ride would be amazing also.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Deuces likes this.
  5. congrats..have fun !

Deuces likes this.
  6. That's amazing, congrats . :)

Deuces likes this.
  7. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tks Guys!

Deuces likes this.
  8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Mail truck is too kool . Leave it as is and drive . Find some tire chains for the rear tires and some skis for the front for snow driving in the mountains .

Deuces and The37Kid like this.
  9. Yes it was on CL and featured on Barn Finds....although it was in a garage.....great claim there and should be in the right hands - have fun !

egads and Deuces like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Great find !!!! Wow, “It is like déjà vu all over again…” For my brother and me, it was 62 years ago. It was his idea to get a Model A coupe he had seen in some lady’s backyard for his hot rod build. He wanted to compete with his friend that had a 34 Ford 5 window and an Olds motor. His 51 Olds sedan that he bought at age 15, was a cool looking cruiser, but was no match for that 34 Ford 5 window coupe. Since I was his right hand helper in taking care of the 51 Olds, he took me with him to buy the Model A coupe.

First we piled into the trunk, a big, fat sisal rope we picked up at an old marine surplus yard near our house, for towing. The Model A was about two miles from our house. So, the tow back would not be that bad. During this whole time, thoughts went through my head. The Model A into a hot rod with a 283 for my brother, so, that means the 51 Olds sedan that I have been doing most of the maintenance, was going to be my first car? Yippee…

The tow home was an experience, being behind the wheel of the Model A and having to cross one major cross street. There were a few “bangs” with the slack in the rope and start ups… but we made it home with no damages to either vehicle.

Jnaki

It took a couple of weeks to clean it up, get some new parts and make the Model A street safe. My brother was pretty good at getting the motor to start. After his initial run around the block, he allowed me to drive the Model A around the same block(s), too. A reward well deserved, for sure.

We had big plans for the build, using a 283 SBC motor and other necessary parts. But, within the coming of the winter months, my brother sold the Model A to a friend. He sold the 51 Olds to another friend and he then, went out and bought a new 1958 348/280 hp Chevy Impala.

So, my two choices of a first hot rod/cruiser car went out of the window with the new purchase of the 58 Impala. The Model A was the first real car that I actually did some work on to get it running, had my first real drive alone, and was looking forward to finishing the build. The 51 Olds was going to be my first car when the Model A was finished, so that was a reward worth waiting for in a few years. But, it was all washed away with a new 58 Impala sitting in the garage.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/unless-your-very-lucky-you-will-have-to-deal-with-rust.1149798/page-3#post-13208005

Okie Pete likes this.
  11. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CQQL Story! Tks Bill

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. 2 great finds. Lucky you and the grasshopper.

13. ahshoe

ahshoe

I don't think I would of bought it that tire was flat. Really I loved all that old dated shit in the garage around the car. I bet that there were some extra cash in those old cans ,etc. Anyway great find!

14. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Very unique, leave it as is.....Thanks for saving it.

15. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Guys!
    CREEPERS SLEEPERS PASADENA This was in the Garage with 29
    anybody ever heard of them? Tks Bill

l DSC07171.JPG

37hotrod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Up Date! Motor still stuck! Gonna pull the head! Bill

17. quickrack-alan

quickrack-alan
    from Ireland

Good luck!
    Very cool find.

18. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope the engine is not ruined, but I'm thinking AV8 with hydraulic brakes and maybe Columbia.

19. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Joel! That's kinda what I'm thinking But Grasshopper is on a budget & it does have original motor the motor # is whats on title for vin! We will see said the blind man! Tks Bill

20. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Mine was stuck when I got it too .i filled the cylinders wth atf and acetone for a week .finally broke free.it now purrs like a cat.good luck.i took the starter out to put a pry bar on the flywheel.

21. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Brian!
    We did all that first Marvels Then Marvels & Acetone Then Pulled Dist & Starter & rocker cover Now trying to get head off! It all looks good inside I think 60 Yrs maybe rings stuck! I think it will break loose soon! Tks Bill

Martin_F and chryslerfan55 like this.