Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's It Worth To You?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasser57!, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Just remember, that car is, " The Real Deal, ", not some ones version of what they think was around at the time.
    . "

rod1, weps, Atwater Mike and 5 others like this.
  2. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

First off cool pictures. It's always great to see these kinds of cars show up every once in a while. Like many of you guys I find myself looking at this as not so much what it's worth to someone else but a time capsule of hot rod history. No matter what the new owner does or doesn't do to it there will multitude of people who will be quick to object to it that it was right or wrong. But whatever the case it is a great find.

Hemiman 426 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. 30K all day!:cool: Original body, frame, windshield, grill shell, firewall, plus all the other stuff. Cannot remember the last time I saw an original deuce windshield. Ad that up in reproduction parts.

4. All day long my friend! HRP

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Hemiman 426 likes this.
  5. Correct. But why would anybody want someone elses version of what that builder thought was kool at the time? Restoring someone elses old hotrod lacks the imagination that hotrodding is all about. 'Restored hotrod' falls into the same category as 'jumbo shrimp or free love'. A classic oxymoron.

dan31, bowlingball, chopped and 3 others like this.
  6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Reminds me of a car a friend of mine bought for 12K. A well known car collector who I won't name to protect his privacy but trust me you are well aware of him, he paid 72K for that 12K car to put in his collection. Must be nice to have money to burn to buy anything you want regardless of its value and price.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    midnightrider78 and gasser57! like this.
  7. What does that mean?:confused:

8. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I was hoping there was a thread for this one. It will be great to see old pictures or hear more info about this car's history. I was at the sale too. It was pretty neat just to look around because this place seemed to be frozen in time. Outside of a late model pickup, everything else on this place seemed to be mid '70s and earlier(largely earlier). Strangely enough, this roadster was pretty much the only hot rod type thing there. There were a couple stock flathead V8s and a few other stock prewar parts scattered around(mostly in the trees) that the junk man bought. It looked like the guy never got rid of anything. I would have loved to have the chance just to wander around and look at things longer.
    My "score" was an old red/clear glass steering knob. The only reason I got that for a fair price was that the auction guy tossed it in a tub of old tools and I bought it from the guy who bought the tools.

But back to the point of the thread, I'm glad I got the chance to see a car that was unquestionably a legit old build. However, I wouldn't drop that kind of bread for one that needed so much work unless I suddenly became independently wealthy. But, if somebody else can afford it, good for them.

rod1 and stanlow69 like this.
  9. j3harleys

j3harleys

Had I been there he would not have got it 30k.

10. Great.....all the deep pocket responders will have their chance when it hits the market .

11. j3harleys

j3harleys

I don't have deep pockets. But I do love 32 fords and i know what real 32 ford parts cost. Just sain

12. tractorguy

tractorguy

So ......I'll ask the question again for everybody that were onsite.....who bought it ?

13. adam401

adam401

If I were lucky enough to own that car 30 grand wouldnt be enough to pry it away from me.

14. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I knew it was the same car as the bosses painting. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That is cool...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. 30 grand for a piece of hot rodding history...If only I was rich...I would have bought it...love that era a lot...

MikeC

j3harleys likes this.
  17. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Always interesting to read the comments, funny there are never threads that anyone says 12 k for a new pete Jakes chassis?... just not worth that... 11k for a brookville body?.. who would buy that?
    But yet a almost 90 year old car that looks pretty darn solid and straight ,30k seems ridiculous to some?.. and on the hamb even

Baumi, redoxide, The37Kid and 7 others like this.
  18. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The guys that say $30K is too much for this don't get it and never will. I can’t afford to drop the coin to buy it, but I certainly won’t bash those that could.

This is a real live 32 roadster hot rodded in the 50's and untouched since then. It is the epitome of a hot rod from that era. Period. This car cannot be replicated with new parts. It’s all about perspective. Why do some people spend millions on a beat up but real Rembrandt when you can get a print for $30? Because a print is not an original and never will be.

weps, redoxide, bowie and 11 others like this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

That car is as cool as it gets, it's even got an intact top! I don't think $30K is too much, it's probably quite a good deal. I'm with those that wouldn't sell it for that price if I had it. The body looks excellent and it appears to be very intact and untouched from it's original build. I'd love to see and hear more about it after a really thorough cleaning and inspection. I love it though.

Anyone know what the shiny things are that are lined up under the passenger side valve cover?

20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I would love to see a better picture of that painting!!!

How fucking cool is that?!?

stanlow69 and Atwater Mike like this.
  21. uncle buck

uncle buck

And why would some guy want to buy a used car , historical house , or marry somebody else’s ex wife for that matter ...?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rod1 and williebill like this.
  22. titus

titus

Ida bought it in a second!

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice find, sold at market price that day. Will someone else get to be its caretaker next week at Hershey?

Bob

Colonial Coupe likes this.
  24. redo32

redo32

Chrome acorn nut covers on the head bolts and other bolts that they fit. Most often seen on flathead Fords.

Squablow likes this.
  25. your three examples don't really relate to a hotrod purchase. many used cars aren't hotrods. most historical houses aren't flathead or hemi powered, and as far as somebody else's ex wife goes, why marry her? just buy her a house like her ex probably did.

26. chopped

chopped

I think there's a difference between price and worth. If some guy with a billion pays $100.000 is it worth it to anyone but him ?

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Means Danny's left pinky hit to the left of the 'D' one key (on the keyboard)
    I do this all say (day) long myself!
    I'd have paid $30K for this '32 roadster in a heartbeat. All added up, it's been together since parked. Lotta years went past this old hot rod...and it's still 'together'.
    Truly a treasure.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    bowie, ct1932ford and j3harleys like this.
  28. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Pretty sure that license plate was laying on one of the hay racks of misc. Plate brought $25 or $30 I think.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's a cool car. 30 G's seems about right to me.

j3harleys and kidcampbell71 like this.