Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Chevy Cameo. Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Torkwrench, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The rear bumper has been reinstalled, and aligned . Now the center line of the bumper ends line up with the center line of the rear fenders, along with the ends being centered on the fenders. This is a big improvement from how it had been.

When the truck was new, the bumper was so far off, that it had worn small slots in the fiberglass rear fenders. Since this photo, the bumper has been disassembled, with the painted parts being blasted, and stripped. They are currently being prepped for paint......Blocked, primed, etc.

Rear Bumper Aligned.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  2. The bumper sure gives the rear a finished look. I don't have my bumper attached right now, still missing one of the end pieces, and I haven't been able to source one.
    Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Are you looking for the chrome bumper ends? Repros are available.

https://www.classicparts.com/1955-58-Cameo-Bumper-Ends-pair/productinfo/65-098/

Kinda pricey, but only about $100 more that they were in 1991.

4. I have two, because I was lucky enough to salvage one from the Suburban. The problem is, that it was partially squashed by the crusher, and it is a matter of whether I can beat it out to look like new again. I have been distracted with other essential projects lately, so it is lower on the priority list.
    I haven't finished swapping the running gear, and some other substantial changes I want to make. I am still going to need the two center chrome pieces that cover the joints on the bumper,
    I don't want to collect more parts until I have the garage done. That project has been stalled by the other chores that are even more important than the garage.
    Thanks for posting the link.
    Bob

Torkwrench likes this.
  5. I looked at the bumper tips, they sure look pretty, but spendy.
    Bob

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Stopped at the restoration shop, on Thursday. The rear bumper bars are ready for their first coats of primer.

When they were stripped, the Chevrolet part number and the "Manufacturer's Mark" of the company that actually made the bumper parts for GM, appeared. It'd be interesting to know what company actually made the bumper parts.

The fiberglass tailgate cover is also ready for primer. It's been stripped down to the gel-coat, with some minor repairs done. The main thing that was needed was to square off the top edges of the cover.

When the truck was first restored, the fiberglass area that rolls over the top of the steel tailgate was missing. This was probably caused by hauling lumber, or some other type of material, with the over-length load resting on top of the tailgate. This would have cracked the fiberglass where it rolls over the top of the steel tailgate.

This area was repaired in the early 1990's. However, at the time, there wasn't anything to use for a guide.....So, the shape of this area was just guessed at. As a result, it was a little off. It's now been fixed.

Bumper 1.jpg Bumper 2.jpg Tail Gate 1.jpg Tail Gate 2.jpg Tail Gate 3.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and j-jock like this.
  7. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Went to an auction yesterday, and picked up another wheel for the Cameo. This makes #3 out of 4. Still have to find one more that matches. The plan is to make a set of chrome reverse wheels, in the traditional way. Drill out the rivets, that attaches the center to the hoop.....Chrome the wheels. Then reverse and reassemble them.

Not exactly sure what they are originally off of, though. All three are 6 lug, 15" x 6" factory wheels. They are riveted together. Additionally, they do not have the safety bead that was added, in the early 1960's, to all wheels.

As far as I know, 1955 was the last year that GM riveted the centers to the hoops. This is why the 6" width seems VERY odd. If memory is correct, the pickup and passenger car wheels were 5 1/2" wide in 1955. I've been told that they were optional 15", 1948 Chevy car wheels? However, it seems very unlikely that 1948 wheels would be 6" wide, from bead to bead. Perhaps, they are heavy duty pickup wheels?

After comparing them to other 6 lug pickup wheels, they do have a very distinctive center to them. Now I just need to find a fourth one.

Hazelhurst Wheel..jpg

The wheel that I was after was part of a set of four. Unfortunately, the other three were different, (but a matching set of three wheels). These are a bit odd in that they are not 15" wheels. Nor are they 14" wheels. They are 14 1/2" wheels, (and tires). A friend of mine suspects that they are off of a travel trailer, such as an Airstream, or perhaps off of a mobile home.

Hazelhurst Trailer Wheel 14.5 6 lug.jpg

8. To me, the centers in the upper wheel, 709, looks the closest to the original according to my memory. I don't remember the width, but I don't think the originals were as wide as 6 inches.
    The only reason I know that the wheels on the 55 were riveted, is because I drilled out the rivets on my 55 and reversed them. They were only painted, and I didn't even re-drill the holes for the valve stem, which made it a pain to check the tire pressure.
    They were only on a year before I put real chrome reversed wheels on.
    Bob

Torkwrench likes this.
  9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, those are mobile home wheels. They are lower profile and will not rub the floor when moving one.

Torkwrench likes this.
  10. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

That definitely explains the other three wheels. They are also rather heavy.

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Many years ago, before we knew better, a friend mounted a set of the 14.5 mobile home tires on some 15 inch Ford wheels for his Galaxie ragtop. Don't try this at home.

Torkwrench likes this.
  12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Although there aren't any 6" wide wheels listed in my 1933 - 1960 Chevy parts book, it looks like the 15 x 6 wheel is a heavy duty Chevy truck wheel.

The only place that I've been able to find mention of 15 x 6 truck wheels is in the "1957 Chevrolet Stock Car Competition Guide". This was a "How To" manual that Chevrolet printed in 1957. It looks like these are the same wheels that were used on the 1957 Chevy Black Widow stock cars.

Hopefully, I can find a fourth wheel that matches the three that I already have.

Hazelhurst Wheel..jpg ZZZZ Parts Book.jpg 1957 Chevrolet Stock Car Competition Guide..jpg 1957 Chevrolet Stock Car Competition Guide A.jpg 57 Black Widow Clone Wheel.jpg

13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Last week, both rear quarters were stripped down to the gel coat. Only a few small repairs were needed for the fiberglass. There was just a couple of stress cracks and one small break from when the truck was totaled in 1996, all in the left rear quarter. They have since been primed, blocked, and then reprimed.

All of the bonding strips were in really good condition. These had been redone in the late 1980's when the truck was first restored. The fiberglass work from the 1980's was done by Bridges Corvette Shop in Bartonville ILL.

In addition, the fiberglass filler panels for the front of the truck box, have been cleaned up. They still had some Jade Green overspray from when it was repainted sometime in the 1970's or 1980's. These panels needed absolutely no repairs. The filler panels will remain in their raw finished state, as they were from the factory.

Rear Quarters In Final Prime.jpg Left Quarter Final Prime.jpg Right Quarter Final Prime.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    1morecarIpromise! and lumpy 63 like this.
  14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Next up is the tailgate. Although the fiberglass cover is ready for final paint, the steel tailgate still needs some work. Fortunately, rust-wise, it's very solid.

When it was new, the Cameo was used as it was intended to be. That is, as a truck. It was used to haul wood, and other materials. As a result, the actual tailgate was really battered, bent, and wavy. About 95% of the dents and waves have been worked out, and it's ready for blasting.

By the way, when the truck is finished, it will still be used as a truck......It will be hauling stuff. In addition, the only trailer that it will see is the one that will be hitched up behind it. LOL.

Tailgate Ready For Blasting Sept. 2019.jpg

15. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Checked out a possible engine, today. It's a Big Block Chevy. Not sure if it's a 396, 402, or 427. Although it's in a 1970 Chevy grain truck, it is not a truck block.

The head casting numbers are 3917215, with date codes of E88 for the driver's side head, and J127 for the passenger side.

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room to see the block casting numbers. However, the number that was stamped at the front of the block is CE364277.

From researching these numbers, it looks like it is a factory replacement block from 1973. This may or may not mean that the block was cast in 1973. It only shows that the engine was replaced in 1973. Nor does it give any indication of engine size.

The heads are closed chamber, oval port heads. It looks like they were used on a variety of engines, ranging from 325 Hp. 396's to 400Hp. 427's. They have screw in rocker studs, and pushrod guide plates.

I'm not very knowledgeable on big blocks, so all of this info was through the internet. Being on the internet means it HAS to be right. Right??? LOL!!!

Surprisingly, the engine is extremely clean inside. Basically, there is not any sludge build up at all. This was looking under the valve covers, and down through the oil drain down holes, into the lifter valley. The truck itself has been sitting where it is, for at least 15 years.

427 Grain Truck 1970.jpg 427 Chevy Engine.jpg

swade41, j-jock and s55mercury66 like this.
  16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It would be nice to hear it run, but I would grab it anyway if the price is cheap enough.

Torkwrench likes this.
  17. buy that whole (half) truck.

Torkwrench likes this.
  18. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The plan is to get it started and do a leak down test. It helps that one of my nephews owns the truck. By the way, it has an Edelbrock C396 intake and a 780 Holley carb. The Holley is a Factory Chevrolet carb. complete with the part number stamped into the air horn.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    OahuEli likes this.
  19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

LOL....Nephew Bill can keep the rest of the truck. It's a good parts truck for his Dad's grain truck.

20. Don't see too many big trucks with chrome valve covers and what appears to be an aluminum intake!! Haulin with class!!

Torkwrench likes this.
  21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

A previous owner used to own a 1967 Impala SS with a big block. Perhaps this engine came out of the Impala??? It's definitely a passenger car engine.

22. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The other engine choice is a 348 Chevy. I've had a complete 250 Hp. 348 out of a '59 Chevy, since about 1988. Unfortunately there is a 7" long crack in the passenger side of the block. It's fixable, by furnace welding, but I haven't checked into the cost. I have been looking for another 348 but, but without any luck.

Although the engine in the grain truck would be better for towing, and cheaper to build, I'd rather go with the 348. It's more era correct for this build, that is, the late 1950's / early 1960's.

Chevy 348 Block 1959.jpg

OahuEli likes this.
  23. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Here's a belated update.......The Cameo is home from the body shop. The cab and doors are painted, and buffed, with the cab permanently back on the frame. The plan is to install the engine, trans, glass, wiring, and interior over the winter.

After this, the truck box will be finish painted, and reinstalled. The front sheet metal's final paint and reassembly, will follow the box installation Home From The Resto Shop C Dec 2019.jpg Home From The Resto Shop B Dec 2019.jpg Home From The Resto Shop A Dec 2019.jpg .

OahuEli, swade41, LAROKE and 4 others like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

Gonna be a nice ride!

Did you ever source a wheel? I've some 3 clip and 6 clip Chevy wheels out back, best as I recall the 6 clip wheels were for pre-'55 and 55-9 used 3 clip wheels, but either way I might have a match for you.

Torkwrench and loudbang like this.
  25. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Lookin' good!

26. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Still looking for one wheel. It needs to be a 15" x 6" with 6 clips. I've read that these were optional on the pre- 55 pickups, for off road use, in softer ground. As far as I know, they are the only 6" wide 6 lug, clip style wheels that Chevrolet had.

I've run across several 15" x 5" and 15" x 5 1/2" clip wheels, but haven't found another 6" wide clip style wheel. By the way, the centers on the 6" wide clip wheel is different from the narrower clip wheels. The centers are riveted to the rim, too. If you have one, I'd be interested.

Here's some photos of the wheels that I already have. Got the two black wheels off of this AD pickup, and the third at an auction.

Sams Wheels.jpg Hazelhurst Wheel..jpg

loudbang likes this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

It'll be Sunday afternoon before I can get out where I have some stuff at, hopefully I have one without a crusty old tire on it...check your wheels for stampings/etc, when you get a chance. It'd be yours for the cost to break it down and ship to you if I have one.

28. Is this your elusive wheel ? It's 6 inches wide at the outside of the lips, obviously I can't measure between the lips because the tire is on. It was on my 57, along with 3 chrome reverse, so I only have the one.
    20191205_170140.jpg 20191205_170200.jpg 20191205_170904.jpg 20191205_170207.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  29. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thanks for checking. I'll look at mine this weekend for any markings.

The correct wheel should be about 7 inches, to 7 1/4 inches in overall width. This being from the very outside edges of the wheel. Where the tire beads mount are 6 inches wide.