Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Racing at George Ray's who's interested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Oct 22, 2018.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Specking of PC those pants kind of remind you of Broadway Bob , don't they Brian ? ;) lo Larry

chucky1, egads and loudbang like this.
  2. The gold digger was originally from the area. It was chuckies cousins car. I saw it racing when I was down there. I bought it to build a spare car if I ever damaged mine. I ended up selling it to John. He has done a great job of driving it. The car has gone 8.40s in the quarter.

Gammz and loudbang like this.
  3. We are already planning a three day event next memorial day weekend 2020. Mark your calendar. This event will grow. Putting these vintage cars in a perfect vintage environment is the the best. Flag racing and heads up classes only adds to the fun.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Love it, pick your poison.

loudbang likes this.
  5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Today was a lot of fun even with a broken car I got to meet a bunch of new folks hung out with old friends and enjoyed a good day of racing all the nss guys were a great bunch of guys and all offered to help with my broken car however none of them had any spare pushrods in their stash however I do believe that they will be in the future I know they will be in my track tool box from now on

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looked like fun. We couldn't make it after we broke the motor on Saturday at Knoxville SEGA event.
    Next time.

loudbang and Old wolf like this.
  7. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Ken Kapper and Bryan Huffman from the Nostalgia Gassers Racing Association.

Sorry to hear you had troubles Jackson I sure wanted to make it down and get a chance to meet you, but I just couldn't make it happen right now.

8. You have to realize where you are . We're not to worried about being pc down here .

9. I remember about 26 or 27 years ago the track was gonna close. So many people showed up for the very last race . that something happened to change the decision to shut down.

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

11. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

12. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that’s all the crappy pics I took this weekend I didn’t really have much time to get pics as I was working on my pile lol. These last two pics of the 55 chevy are very important to George rays history bill Smith has been racing this car since the 60’s and hasn’t changed much since the late 70’s it may not be era correct for the H.A.M.B. but he is a regular at George rays and he is 74 years old now and that car is a stick shift when he launches it he sidesteps the clutch at about 9500 rpm with a small wheels up launch then pulls the wheels back up when he grabs 2nd the car is very quick for what it is I’ve got some video but it will take a bit for me to get it ready to post here stay tuned for that this is the event you need to plan on attending next year

13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Floater03, Stogy, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  14. Ok I got a couple pictures of the mill in Bill Smith's 55. Its now a tunnel ram dual holley carbed 350. In the past he usually gr sunday 023.JPG gr sunday 024.JPG ran a hillborn injected 327 and sometimes a 283. Notice the stock 55 master cyl and the stock front suspension with holes drilled to make it weigh less!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Looks like a good day of racing. I was hoping to make it in the spring, but already have plans for Memorial day.

Randy, I thought you were supposed to go straight when ya left the line, to bad about the motor.
    Tony

16. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well tony a couple things contributed to that I put some better slicks on it and it hooked better than it ever had before it even pulled the left front wheel off the ground now it’s time to do some suspension work in the rear to make it launch straight it currently has stock leaf springs with a pinion snubber and that is it this winter it’s gonna get some new super stock leaf springs and I have a couple other tricks up my sleeve that is era correct and was used on some early mopar suspensions that will make things way better maybe by then it will pull both wheels up

loudbang, David Gersic, Gammz and 2 others like this.
  17. I need your thoughts about next year. Originally I wanted to do the event on memorial day weekend. The problem with that is the nostalgia super stocks are booked into the grove. I was in contact with the brew city gassers they also want to come to grs. They are booked into the grove to. So do we go with memorial day or do we move it up a few weeks to get more cars? Your ideas please.

loudbang and chucky1 like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

might be a bit cooler, if you move it up a couple weeks.

19. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Up a few weeks, a lot of people have annual family stuff booked on memorial day weekend.

loudbang and Speedys Garage like this.
  20. I also think move it up a few weeks. it might be cooler.

loudbang and chucky1 like this.
  21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

https://nateluke.com/Wild-Cat/1/thumbs

Here is pics from George rays on Sunday the photographer is Nate Luke he has a good eye and does an amazing job check him out he has done H.A.M.B. drag photos before and many others his goal was to document the event and I think he did a great job

loudbang, Tickety Boo, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  22. chucky1

chucky1

Oh really?

loudbang likes this.
  23. Yes Im pretty certain that there was a decision to close. I might have the time frame off a couple of years but I remember what was supposed to be the final race.

24. chucky1

chucky1

There never was a supposed to be last race. At one time in early 1990's the city had looked to build a larger airport on the east side of Paragould. An archaeological study was done on George's shutdown area. It was determined to be a possible Indian site, nothing ever came of it. George always said that was Indian ground.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Ok I stand corrected.

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Man, that ol 55 Chevy is way cool, bet that was a hoot to watch in person, there are some neat youtube videos showing him run.
    I had that same air scoop on my 70 Maverick, mid/late 70's, I think it was called a Formula 5000 scoop.

chucky1 likes this.
  27. chucky1

chucky1

There was a lot of information about the strip over the years that was simply one person telling another telling another and changing part of the original story. Some of the stories were very entertaining after going thru 5 or 6 people.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Wasn't the track up for sale in 2010 with a $750,000 asking price?

29. chucky1

chucky1

Yes, after George passed. But not while he was alive.