Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 1938-1939 Ford Truck Club!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squigy, May 12, 2010.

1. greener200

greener200

hello gentleman . Hey does anybody have the drawing of the sparetire mount ,parts and pieces .I have all the big parts.I have everything except the hardware. thanks Mike

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a pair of decent running boards if anyone needs a set. Surface rusting, not bent up. one repair at a mounting bracket, a spot of pinholeing. this should be in the classifieds, but this user group might have a more immediate need.

JOYFLEA likes this.
  3. aldixie

aldixie

Been a while, this is as far as I’ve got. She’s running and driving. Need to put in emergency brake, weather stripping and glass.

Attached Files:

scotts52 and slim38 like this.
  4. aldixie

aldixie

I have a spare original not in too bad a shape.

Attached Files:

5. Racerex

Racerex

I finally got the truck back on the road after installing a 9 inch rear, hooking up a tandem master cylinder, and fixing some small stuff. The low profile stainless half round ended up being pretty decent grille trim. Everything seems to be working pretty well, so I'll be driving down to the Mooneyes Christmas party on Friday.

Attached Files:

6. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Man that's sick. Job well done. What size tires are you running?

7. Racerex

Racerex

Thank you very much. They're 550- and 700-16s

slim38 likes this.
  8. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I was looking into 7.50-16s for rear but man yours really fill fender nicely.

9. aldixie

aldixie

7D597803-3011-40D7-8D89-383146FE9F91.jpeg

Well she’s now on the road and registered. Got a nice set of 1938 Texas Plates that the local DMV loved. But house repairs have come up and I’ve had to put her up for sale with a Super Bee clone I have. Which ever one sells first I’ll keep the other. Sure hope the Super Bee clone goes first.

JOYFLEA, exterminator, treb11 and 2 others like this.
  10. Racerex

Racerex

Thanks again. I was on the fence for a while about that, but 700s seem to be just right for these fenders.

slim38 likes this.
  11. aldixie

aldixie

Well the Super Bee clone sold first so I’m keeping her and carrying improving her. Also selling the Bee means I also ended up with some spare money.

Today a S10 T5 came up for sale locally so I bought it. So I’m going to go open drive. I’m also going to upgrade the steering with probably a Vega box as I already have the mount and pitman arm. Looking at modifying the original column and use the Posies lower column bushing.

The split bones mount will be Posies, rear Panhard bar and torque arm from Hot Rod Works and the T5 and open drive adapter will probably be Speedway.

Racerex and The37Kid like this.
  12. Doug914

Doug914

Hi guys. First post here. We're looking for a barrel nose truck for a shop truck for our VW/Porsche restoration business in New Jersey.. Must on the patina side. We'll take a project , nice original, whatever. If anyone is selling or knows of anyone selling PM me or call the shop at 973-366-6577. Thanks to all!

13. Steven Fields

Steven Fields

This is 3691_1559443897920.jpeg 3694_1559443903958.jpeg my new 38 project going for a late 50s hot rod build will be a flat bed with no fenders. I am trying to decide on on an engine and trans. I am looking at a 283 4bbl with a powerglide out of a 57 Chevy but i want a manual trans.

Attached Files:

slim38 likes this.
  14. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Looking for 38 or 39 , had one back in70's .Would love to join this group when I get one.

slim38 likes this.
  15. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I'm in, bought a 39 pickup today . This is my second one, last one was back between 73 and 82. I remember I used to tell every one at school back in78 that my truck year (39) was exactly half of 78 then I thought it was cool that it turned 40 . Now I have one that's 80. Dang I wish it was 39 again. Just messin around with it today brought back some good ole memories. This truck has never had anything much done other than a repaint that is probably 20 plus years old. Probably will do a repaint in future but for now In gonna drive it and enjoy that familiar old truck smell, sound and ride.

slim38 likes this.
  16. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Congratulations! Have fun and post some pics.

17. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

20190704_190238.jpg

Attached Files:

scotts52 and slim38 like this.
  18. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Truck has 29A , several sites list this as a 100 hp 42 Merc engine, one site said 42 Ford/Merc. Has a noisy lifter ( I assume) . Will pull intake and see what's going on.Loaned my compression tester to someone so I haven't checked compression . No smoke , engine supposedly hasn't run for 2 or 5 years, not sure which. All lights work , headlight switch on steering wheel works both high and low beam . Trans whines , needs fluid change but doubt that will help whine Just old gears I suppose.

19. greener200

greener200

Got the same motor in my 39 picup. 42 Merc ,,mine started life as a 2 ton fir-engine tanker . I still have the whole in the side of the cab were the fuel fill was . Baby looks clean as a whistle ! NICE !

20. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Heck ya! Truck looks clean. Enjoy.

21. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Well , sorta on the fence concerning what I want to do as far as engine, trans and rear. Am considering some mild engine mods . If I find a decent deal on some heads , intake might go that route. Not sure about headers , not a lot to be gained except sound and a bit better flow but pretty pricey as far as I can see. Have seen several post on various sites where folks spent a ton on these flathead bolt on upgrades and were disappointed in the gain. In thinking to even get to around 200 hp I gotta spend more than I would for a decent sbc Chevy setup. Not really after a maxed out tire burner but would certainly like a bit more pep. As far as headers , after reading several post I am thinking of just doing a dual exhaust. Been a while since I had a flathead and even then we were pretty much stock . What do you folks think. Doing dual would probably sound better than single as it is now I am sure and I like most folks do like the sound of a flathead with dual exhaust. As far as trans I will probably just do bearings , synchronizers and gaskets but won't know for sure till I get into it. Will go with a new clutch and pressure plate The rear could be upgraded or perhaps a Columbia 2 speed. Like I said on the fence and just pondering a bit Btw , Engine had a pretty loud lifter (I assumed) so I did the ole Marvel Mystery oil , actually pulled the plugs and put a teaspoon down in eack cylinder and drove it a couple miles and low and behold the sound went away. Now the be a bit clearer when I pulled the plugs they were covered in black sot which meant it was running rich I assume so I figured the cylinder and valves were about the same so I added the MMO . Also I adjusted the mixture screws on the carb which was only turned out about a 3/4 turn which is way off. I reseatted them and went 1 1/4 turn and dang what a difference.

slim38 likes this.
  22. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Correct me I f I am wrong ,but am contemplating changing the wheels tires on this 39 to something a bit wider. These 4x16 wide fives with the 600-16 are cool and I really like the hubs but want to run a bit wider tire at least on rear. So Am I correct in thinking I would need to change all hubs and drums to perhaps 1940 or newer then find something thru Coker or whoever. Looked for some wider wide fives ( that is a mouth full) but don't think any exist except for some fancy racing wheels . May just stick with what I got but am curious .

23. greener200

greener200

Had a little scrub- pine to get rid of Sunday 20190728_094500.jpg

Attached Files:

exterminator and slim38 like this.
  24. [​IMG]
    Just picked up my winter project over the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. That is my project above. Does the fender or the grill apron supposed to have the slot for the bumper bracket ? Mine has no bumper slot and all parts have been stripped to bare metal. Im having a hard time lining things up

26. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I'm not close to mine. I zoomed in to some of my pics. See if this helps any. Screenshot_20190929-222737_Gallery.jpg

exterminator likes this.
  27. Steven Fields

Steven Fields

Screenshot_20190919-144034_One UI Home.jpg

28. Steven Fields

Steven Fields

So it seems that there are differences in 1/2 ton and the larger trucks as far as the lower panels and how far they come down in the front and the bumper bracket opening
    4002.jpeg

exterminator likes this.
  29. Bingo, that's exactly how it fits. All my parts were already stripped so I guessed they were from the same truck. Looks like I will be searching for the lower apron parts from a 1/2 ton

30. anyone have a pair of the 1/2 ton lower aprons for sale ?