Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Summit Racing Cavet Emptor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binkman, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Binkman

Binkman

I am still waiting for my wire wheels- 7 months now and counting.
    They still show them available on their site as "will ship in 2 weeks"
    When I call Summit they have no estimated ETA.
    Last week UPS pulls up with 4 huge boxes from Vintique.
    I opened the boxes and they are some huge 18 x 10 steel wheels.
    I call Summit, they say they didn't send them.
    We conference call Vintique, they didn't send them.
    I say OK, I will keep them.
    I get a call back from Vintique telling me I have to take them back to UPS and return them.
    I packed them up and drove into town to return them.
    I go on the Summit site and give my review of thr wheels.
    Summit rejects the review because it does not meet their guideleines.
    I am now contesting the 1500.00 charge with my credit card company.
    They are telling me that the charge over their time limit now so I might be out the $$$.
    That happened with LeBarron Bonney as well.
    No more Summit purchases.
    CAVEAT EMPTOR

2. squirrel

squirrel

thanks for the warning

I only order stuff through summit if they show it in stock, or available the next day as a drop ship.

3. Budget36

Budget36

First I've of something like this about Summit. Have you called and spoke to someone and said "I want to cancel my order and be refunded the charges"?

4. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I've always had good experiences with Summit. However I will keep this in mind and cancel any orders they might not fill within a couple of weeks. Binkman, please keep us informed if they refund your credit card. I'm think it'd be in their best interest. Good Luck!

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

If someone sends you something through the mail or whatever, and you didn't order it, you can legally keep it. No charge. I'm not arguing that is ethical or anything like that, but it might help them get their head out their ass.

6. Binkman

Binkman

Thanks for the info but I wanted to do the "right " thing and return something that did not belong to me.
    I will have my other half contact Summit on the phone and try to cancel the whole order.
    I thought about keeping the wheels until I received mine but decided against it.
    You live and learn.
    One by one all the great places to do business with are going by the wayside.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  7. That does suck but I have had nothing but good things happen with Summit. I ordered the wrong part once, my fault entirely. They sent the right one and let me return the wrong one to the UPS driver. No shipping charges no problems.

Deuces likes this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I ordered a glass pack muffler from them last Wed about 12 noon, got it Thursday! Wasn't expecting it until Friday.....

Deuces likes this.
  9. They should refund you. I ordered a set of specific forged aluminum wheels, in an even more specific bolt pattern. The vehicle NOT being at my home.

Wheels arrived, confirmed the part number, that Summit gave me, mounted the tires and drove to my vehicle.

Didn't fit. They claimed no refund on mounted wheels. Having kept my documentation, and speaking to the "next" associate ... they drop shipped the new correct wheels. Sent the incorrect back.

Speak to the "next" associate. They have your information. They know what's up, and aren't interested in losing a customer, or reading bad feedback on popular forums.

Refund, or wheels ... unless there's more to the story. Doesn't sound like it.

I've purchased from Summit, when they were only one location. Tallmadge, Ohio. 1987. Not an issue, ever. Good luck.

10. Deuces

Deuces

I never had a problem with them... Summit is my go too place to buy performance goodies...... :)

11. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I have ordered from them a number of times over the years without a problem. Sorry about the cluster you are suffering with them. Sounds like they placed the order with the wheel manufacturer and didn't follow up with them when you inquired about ETA's Contact the State Attorney General's office for the state where they are located and file a complaint. Most states have a online form you can fill out. I have had very good luck with this approach.

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Most people want to do the right thing, the question is whether they did the right thing to begin with.

Technically speaking, charging a CC before shipping isn't really legal, especially when they don't have any in the first place. They take yer money and then jack you around? F 'em.

13. Binkman

Binkman

Refund is coming,
    this is a comedy of errors.
    I made a few calls and found out that supposedly Coker bought Wheels Vintique and then Coker was sold to another huge conglomerate who is in turn bleeding the assets dry.
    So Summit is advertizing and selling parts they don't have, and they were sold a bill of goods from Wheels Vintique.
    Life it too short to stroke out over a poor vendor experience.
    For what it's worth, I waited for months for a set of wheels from Rally America for the same wheels and had to cancel that order as well. "They will be shipped next Friday" for 8 months when she said they were back logged about 30 days when I ordered.
    I will just run Chrysler wires and move on. The car has been done for months.
    Thank you for all the input and e-mails.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Sporty45, King ford, Malcolm and 5 others like this.
  14. you can give these guys a call. www.rallyamerica.com
    when they were making regular steel wheels, I bought a custom set for my comet. Ordered in the morning, they were ready by the afternoon. Now I realize they were just a plain steel set, but, the customer service was outstanding.

BigMike

15. oh, and I've never had a problem with Summit Racing. always delivered when promised.

16. Binkman

Binkman

I went back and looked at the credit issued for the wheel order I cancelled. It was from Rallye America in Prather, Ca., not McCleans.
    She was very apologetic but was unable to deliver.
    I still see Wheel Vintiques/Coker is still selling wheels on EBAY but the price is $150.00 more per wheel than I paid. I think that might by why they won't deliver. The prices went up twice since I placed the order.

17. Summit is a standup company .
    If there’s a problem they don’t just fix it, they make you happy. They really have no control over their vendors going bellyflopping.
    Yes sometimes you have to get past the gate keeper. Once they know you’re having an issue they will do something about it. Sometimes they won’t know if you don’t tell them.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never had any issue with Summit but have never ordered something that had to be special ordered from a supplier either.
    With any outfit you have to call in if the first person on the phone can't straighten it out ask for a supervisor and keep moving up the chain.

Sad to see that the outfit that bought Coker seems to be bleeding it dry rather than building it up.

19. well, I read right over the top of you ordered from them. my bad. BUT, my experience with them was outstanding.

20. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

It's real life...shit happens once in a while..! Get it fixed, and move on. Get over it.

It's been MANY years and many dollars that I've spent thru Summit.
    And without problem.

One problem from someone that I don't know is NOT gonna stop me from dealing with Summit Racing.

Mike

21. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

What about Wheelsmith? When I've called, I got the owner!

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

23. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The very last thing Summit Racing wants to do it stick it to you. Their reputation is a huge key to the success of their business. I don't know all the details of the transaction, but if I had to guess which company was the issue, it wouldn't be Summit.

Hope you get it worked out. -Abone.

Deuces likes this.
  24. I bought a lot of stuff from Summit over the last 5 years, probably over $5000 or more. Big lesson learned, if it is not in stock, don't buy it. I waited 9 weeks for a speedometer cable recently. I have had a shipment hijacked (probably at USPS or UPS) on the way, items in box replaced. People see SUMMIT on the box, know that good shit is inside.

25. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

[QUOTE="bobss396, post: 13262066, member: 62491......... Big lesson learned, if it is not in stock, don't buy it............" [/QUOTE]

+ 1 on the above.

I've had to wait longer than predicted delivery on some low production race parts "not in stock" before from both other big suppliers as well as smaller companies.

Thursday morning I ordered a set of 4 plain steelies from Summit to mount snow tires on for a DD. Price was slightly higher but they showed "in stock" on line unlike other sources. FWIW the telephone sales rep volunteered they were in stock, would be shipped the same day from Ohio, and expect delivery within 2 business days before I had a chance to double check availability and shipping. Seeing this thread later I naturally got a bit apprehensive but the wheels showed up Sat via Fed Ex with no problems.

Ed