Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP ... Glenn "derFREUD" Freudenberger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Glenn Freudenberger.jpg
    Glenn Freudenberger
    August 24, 1931 - September 27, 2019
    RIP @derFREUD

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Glenn's bio on a Land Speed Racing forum (landracing.com):

My sign on name is FREUD. I use that because Ed Roth assigned my nick name (Doc Freud) in 1968. With a last name of Freudenberger and a degree in Optometry, it covered all the bases. I live in Everett, WA. My first trip to B'ville was 3 months after I graduated from college in 1963. ('lotta good guys had '63 as their first trip).

I was shooting fotos at the drag races and it took me a few years before the camera interrupted my spectating experiences on the salt. The foto on the cover of CYCLE Magazine (December 1969) opened a new world for me. For a few years I printed fotos in my room at the Wendover Best Western Hotel. I have people tell me that the fotos from 1975 are still on the wall at home or in the shop. Reality slapped me in the face several years ago when a fellow told me he remembered me from his early trips to the salt when he was a young kid. The clincher was when he concluded with the statement, "Now you're one of the Old Timers." I guess that was what was required to be the most recent inductee in the Kilo Club. 2008 will include my 118th trip to the salt. Private time, WOS, World Finals and Speed Week have had years with 5-6 trips.

Then in the 80's I went nuts and rode a TZ 750 to capture the spirit of the racer. My tough teacher was Don Vesco and I treasure the time we had together.

When I add a slight bit to my learning curve, I will post the building diary on Marlo Treit's website (target550.com) and keep everyone up to date on his streamliner build.

For the past 8 years I have done the foto diary of the Gas Up event for the Gold Coast Roadster and Racing Club. That has given me the opportunity to be in a "one on one" situation with the heros of LSR. So I have enjoyed a closeness with a marvelous group of talented people. For that I am most grateful.

With the help of a few dear friends, I put on the B'ville NW Reunion each year.

This site is my closest link to the racers and so it is with great dedication that I will do all possible to help Jon and Keilani keep it afloat.

Aging ugly,
    FREUD

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    warbird1, Cooon, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Stogy, PoTaToTrUcK and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Rest in Peace

Condolences to family and friends

HEMI32 likes this.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not complete without this

Attached Files:

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...:eek:...Glad you kept that as a Thumbnail Rich...:D

Condolences to the Freudenberger Family and Friends on the passing of Glenn, who was an Artist and a Racer

Thanks for sharing this loss to the Community @HEMI32

Regards,
    Stogy

HEMI32 likes this.
  7. pontman

pontman

Talked with Freud a few times after my first trip to the salt in 2010. He sent me here, said it was the place. He punched me in the gut at the fuel truck in 2016 when we finally met. Shame is we only live 30 miles away. What ever happened to Rufus?

Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fun guy.. stole a “Jack’s Garage” tee-shirt off me at a Gas-Up once... i’ll Miss him.. JD

9. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

A couple years ago he said to me "do you what the funny thing about that picture is?"
    I said no.
    He said " I still own those shoes ". RIP

10. I got to meet Freud when he and Russell Armstrong visited the hangar a few years ago. He took one look at my glasses, said "Give me those things" and proceeded to bend the crap out of the frames; when he handed them back they were straight. I hadn't noticed that I'd bent them while crawling out of an airplane the day before.

What a character... RIP