Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Door prizes at cruise ins what do like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcar1953, Sep 29, 2019.

1. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

What prizes do you like to see given away at cruise ins? My town is starting to get things together for next year and wandering want car guys really want. We are going to try tools and maybe general shop supplies. rags, funnels, gas cans. maybe screwdriver sets or socket sets. small tool boxes. Would eventully like to get bigger better stuff like carbs or heads or headers. We are just starting to get where we can get donations. Give me some ideas please. I really don't like the stuff i see at other events.

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

Decent quality stuff. Cheap tools, etc are worse than nothing.
    Gift cards to auto supply stores.
    General stuff like shop towels are always welcome.

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I agree on cheap tools. Once got a metric wrench in a goody bag , we all laughed about that. Just one wrench and not even a common metric size.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing so big or heavy a guy can't haul it home. Gift certificates to local stores and cafes are good.
    Back when I was teaching auto mechanics and either the 48 or the 51 Merc were primered I always seemed to win was or Armor all my students knew where I tossed it on a shelf in my office for first come first served but don't get greedy and take it all the time. Sometimes there was a too small for me shirt or something else
    Don't forget the wives and significant others though. The gals like to get stuff too and not all of us think car events are guys only events.

chryslerfan55, wicarnut and loudbang like this.

5. Gift certificates to Speedway, Jegs, Rodder's Journal, Jalopy Journal etc...

6. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Fender protectors. Antifreeze, gear oil, Penetrating spray.

lothiandon1940 and wicarnut like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Items that have good packaging that get people looking and buying tickets. Many guys have won plenty of stuff never used, look for donations at other car gatherings. Framed posters of classic cars, nice car related shirts, dinners at nice/popular places. One show that I went to recently gave out $20 worth of raffles tickets instead of event T-shirts to entrants. I have too many t-shirts with not so great art work on them already

chryslerfan55, wicarnut and loudbang like this.
  8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

First off, go for gift certificates worth X dollars for merchandise. Chances are, the guy getting the certificate will spend some additional money in the store. If it is a downtown show on the street, make sure participants have wrist bands. Merchants can offer discounts to people with the bands. Remember, when you’re out there soliciting stuff, you are implying that the merchant giving you stuff will be rewarded with additional business. If I use WD-40, I’m not going to be impressed with a house brand from NAPA. More often then not, a merchant will give you stuff he couldn’t sell in the first place. Just because it’s a car show doesn’t mean you can’t hit up movie theaters, restaurants, clothing stores and such for gift certificates. For the record, I think goodie bags are worthless,!

9. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I am always thankful for anything given to me. But I think the money spent on goody bags and prizes is kind of a waste. It must be a lot of hard work to put on a event and I can appreciate you trying to make the event more special. Do something special or nice for the ladies and or kids but I’m a grown man who doesn’t need a goody bag or a $5.00 trophy. Getting together with other car people and enjoying all the cars is prize enough for me. I never want to be disrespectful but this is how I feel.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    weps, ct1932ford, wraymen and 9 others like this.
  10. Consumables, doesn't matter if it's car related or household related, or even edibles. I donated a couple of prizes to our biggest event of the year. One prize was tools and other automotive related goods, the prize my wife put together was snacks, wine, and other household consumables. I never got any feedback on the prize I put together, but I got an e-mail from the wife of the winner of the prize Linda put together expressing her thanks for such a useful and thoughtful prize.

chryslerfan55 and wicarnut like this.
  11. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I totally agree on the goody bags and trophy's. I want people to show up and have a good time talking and meeting new people. We go to shows and cruise in's. We like meeting people and talking. I go with a group all summer. Just wanting to have my town get people here. If we have bigger or better prizes i figure it will bring people in town. Tired of same old things at most shows. Most don't get used.

wicarnut likes this.
  12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I always donated polish and detail spray etc., it was high quality product that I sold....

Don't be afraid to go around and get donations from businesses in product and services.

Every year I'd give $50 to $100 away, it was fun.

13. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

We are having cruise in's not car shows. We will go to places to get donations, just want ideas on what to get. These are door prizes or giveaways. The cruise in is free.

wicarnut likes this.
  14. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

A BRAND NEW CAR!!!!

15. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Goody bags are worthless. Most of what I get in them goes to the trash can. I agree with coupons for food (resturants), auto parts store, tool store, maybe $5.00 off on a tank of gas?.

wicarnut likes this.
  16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Myself don't really see the need for the door prizes. But, if so just something that is somewhat useful.

Blues4U and j3harleys like this.
  17. oldolds

oldolds

I agree with the above post. Free cruise no need for door prizes. The cruises that charge should have some kind of goodie bag.

18. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Was at a show with a lot of door prizes they gave something away every 15 minutes or so. I got a half gallon of McQuires car wash soap. Exciting no, practical yes, appreciated yes. Door prizes are not the reason I attend. I like the gift card idea for parts stores , restaurants, etc. I like shows that give to charity or other good causes. If you are there showing a car, any car you are probably better off then a lot of folks which are sick or could use a hand.

BamaMav, wicarnut and Tri-power37 like this.
  19. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

No matter what you decide on, my $0.02 is don't do A LOT of prizes. People get bored standing around too long and would rather go back to hanging out with each other and talking about cars after a few minutes of diversion.

20. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

We do one here in town and the local Lions Club gives us a Grand to give away every year. This year it was 10- 100.00 bills.

wicarnut likes this.
  21. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Micro fiber towels. You cannot have too many of those.

22. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Thanks for reply's. The people i hang out with just like to get together and talk. We don't need music or prizes. This is for a benefit for the city. They are trying to raise money for the community. I need ideas for a draw to get more people in town.

wicarnut likes this.
  23. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only "incentive" I like to see, is the elimination of the blaring "music" over cheap loudspeakers. People might want to talk with each other without shouting.........

24. Joe H

Joe H

Food cards from local restaurants are only good for those that live there, outsiders just toss them along with the rest of the coupons. No music would be the best gift.

56premiere and 49ratfink like this.
  25. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I am right there with you on the tunes. It doesn't make for an enjoyable day when you have to yell at the top of your lungs just to talk to the folks next to you:mad:

26. CASH, Around here they don't have door prizes, occasionally they give away cash at some of the bigger ones. HRP

Boneyard51 and wicarnut like this.
  27. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I like the ideas expressed here for coupon/gift certificates like someone already said. It would bring people to businesses they might not otherwise frequent and you usually end up spending more when you are there. Cruise- ins don’t usually have prizes but larger roped-off outdoor car shows usually do. The Shriners put on a amazing outdoor car show here every summer. They had a full tour bus set up like a hospital inside - they could put doctors and nurses inside and move sick kids around. All from their fundraising. Pretty amazing!

hotrodharry2 and wicarnut like this.
  28. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, The best door prizes or drawing prizes are cash, gas cards, restaurant coupons, discount coupons for product. Agree with patmanta about too many door prizes, gets boring, less is more. This being said and have been involved, the cash, gas cards is tough, the stuff from auto supply stores are the easiest to get. Good Luck with your deal, get thick skin as people will bitch about something. I ran a cruise night at a custard stand, owner gave me a chip to hand out for a free cone/dish of ice cream to participants, had people bitch that it was a small dish/cone, gave counter kids a hard time, had a guy bring his McDonald bag, sit and eat there. ( I suggested to him, never bring his sorry ass here again). I'm on a RANT now, I was at a show Saturday, a guy bitched about the very nice Plaques they handed out instead of trophies, I went up and Thanked the lady for her time/efforts that just got chewed out by the Asshat and she got teary eyed, Thanked me 10X, but stated she will not help club out next year, as she does not need this. SO..................... My Point Is, ALL of you Crabby/Bitchy/Whiny Guys, STAY HOME ! AND to us Men that attend, 2 small words, THANK YOU to the people that organize these events. End of rant, Everyone Have a Great Day. I added this edit, I went to car show 2/3 weeks ago, they have a drawing for participants only, 5 $100 bills, I got lucky and won $100, The best car show award ever for me.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  29. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Attended a show in Ottawa, KS a few weeks ago where the drawing prizes were just huge. Suspension parts, welders, $5k in cash, an LS3... I don't know how they draw that level of sponsorship, but they certainly kept a crowd for the drawing.

I'm not a door prize needer... just give us a decent place to hang out, keep the doowop music turned down real low, and make the event as laid back as possible.

30. Joe_dirt1

Joe_dirt1

id be happy with just coffee and dounuts

Blues4U, WB69, wicarnut and 4 others like this.