Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1956 pontiac safari...and "experts"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JD Miller, Sep 28, 2019.

1. JD Miller

JD Miller

Not sure if this is where to post this...

I know of a 1956 Pontiac Safari I might get .

Any 56 pontaic safari experts on here?

Original paint, nice body , no rust, and all trim is nice
    Im still researching it . No engine or trans. 56 had the 316 engine, this one has a clutch pedal. Looks like only 10 had the manual trans.... The shift indicator on the column is interesting for a clutch car , trying to figure whats what. There is a "R" where "P"park would be on a auto shift indicator. Then "L", "L" etc....Ill have to go look at it again . Not sure whats going on there
    Looks like the dual quad 316 cu in car had a syncromesh manual trans from the info I found

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Sounds to me that someone put a standard in it somewhere in the last 63 years. If it was something that was a decent price and I could afford it, I would buy it and then worry about the rest later.

3. pontiac

pontiac

I would also say the car was originally a Hydramatic car that someone has converted to a stick shift.

You can look at the VIN/Serial number for the car to tell. If it has an "H" in the middle of the number it was a hydramatic car, if it has an "S" it was a standard shift.

Hnstray, 302GMC and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. JD Miller

JD Miller

Yes. Im gonna get the vin number tomorrow. Clutch pedal set up looked original though. Vin will tell for sure

5. JD Miller

JD Miller

6. JD Miller

JD Miller

Read the first post

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too cool of a car to pass up if the body is solid and all the trim is all there in reasonably decent shape.
    Engine and trans wouldn't worry me as you can find proper ones later.

8. All 56 Safari's were considered Starchiefs. I've never seen a starchief with any automatics other than the slim-jim or Strato-flight as Pontiac called them.
    Really interesting car......supposed to have a strato flight with a "park" position on the column but yours has a dual coupling [found in cheaper 860 series Chieftain cars] column with a clutch pedal...wow!
    Mine was really boring with a strato flight trans/column and no clutch pedal.

9. JD Miller

JD Miller

Vin said H. Had a hydromatic. You guys were right, Someone put the clutch pedal and a manual trans in it at one time.
    Color was sun beige lower body and sandlewood tan upper body. Had rust color and beige genuine leather upholstery. Under seat heater, EZ eye glass, latex foam cushions

.:D

pontiac and 1morecarIpromise! like this.
  10. JDMiller, I agree with WVEnfield. An affordable decent Safari is hard to come by. Pontiac drivetrain is not hard to come by. You might even want to put a one or two year newer drivetrain in as long as not going for period perfect.
    I have owned 3 Safaris n currently have a basket case 57.
    Good luck.

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n dusty Lubbock TX

wvenfield likes this.
  11. 77salon

77salon
    from RI

I am into the tri 5 pontiac's mostly 57's but I can help out if needed

12. 77salon

77salon
    from RI

do you have parts for sale for a 57? I am in need of some for a safari.

13. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

No one has ever seen a Star Chief w a slim jim tranny. That trans was only used from 61-64 on short wheelbase Pontiacs

belair likes this.
  14. I have the automatic in my 60 catalina im not gonna use.

15. The clutch pedal and linkage are desirable items. I sold a set to Wvenfield

wvenfield likes this.
  16. wvenfield

wvenfield

And thanks again. :D

Old wolf likes this.
  17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The guy who owns the pontiacsafari.com website is very knowledgeable about those cars. He posts over on the maxperformance Pontiac forum in the 1960 and older section as Safari Larry, that may be the best place to ask Safari specific questions: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=426

It sounds like this particular car was converted to manual, but as for how many could have been factory equipped with manual transmissions there's no way to tell - the production records for Pontiacs 1960 and older were lost in a fire many years ago.

If you're looking for an engine to put in the car, note that in 1956 they used a different motor mount arrangement than 1960s or 1970s Pontiacs. The best choice would probably be to find a 389ci from a 1959 or 1960 Pontiac - they would still have provisions for the old motor mount system and should bolt in.

Old wolf likes this.
  18. The 55 thru 59 Pontiacs all had reverse cooling. the 60 does not. however a 55 thru 59 bell flywheel ect. will work on all engines from 55 thru 60. will not fit a 61 or newer engine.

19. exterminator

exterminator

I like those safaris.:D

20. JD Miller

JD Miller

We got the car out of the tight garage it was in so I can check out all the pieces
    Found a extra set of these tail lights like the picture below. They are not for the safari.
    Are these 56 canadian pontiac tail lights or what pontiac car style station wagon were they on?

[​IMG]

21. wvenfield

wvenfield

My buddy wants to buy a pair of those tail lights.

22. JD Miller

JD Miller

I've seen pictures of wagons with those tail lights but cant find out what any info the cars or the lights

23. pontiac

pontiac

They're regular 55-56 Pontiac Station Wagon tail lights.

wvenfield likes this.
  24. BJR

BJR

They look like they would fit in a 55 Chev fender. Anyone know if this is true?

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yep, saw a pair in a 55 Chevy 2 dr Sedan once.
    IIRC, the 55 Pontiac Wagon used 55 Chevy Wagon shell or at least the quarters...