Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage IRON INVASION,Woodstock, Il. 2019 Important Info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty1, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Iron Invasion is Saturday Oct. 5th,...there are some changes being made that all attendees should know about. This info is direct from John Wells, (event coordinator):

There will be some changes made at Iron Invasion 2019.
    The public will come in at 10am Saturday
    Only vendors, invited guests, and swap meet crew will be allowed in early.
    Swap meet vendors can begin set up at 6am Saturday.
    The fairgrounds charges us for Friday setup. We have asked several dealers if they would still support the show if we had to charge $80 for a 10 x 20. They said no. SO - we only have 1 option - Saturday swap meet only.
    We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause us to lose some vendors, but if we do not cut expenses, the show will cease to exist.

John Wells

Please help spread the word, Thanks

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't want to start a big rag session but venue greed and unwillingness to work with people putting on events seems to be universal.
    Still they have their issues, if there are vendors on the grounds that calls for extra security and extra cleanup personnel to some degree.

3. does any one really need a extra day to empty a pick up truck? didn't think so.

4. ^^^you got that rite;...last year a number of swap vendors showed up on Friday, picked their spots and set up, some have trucks & enclosed or open trailers loaded,...that way Sat AM they just pull in and are ready to go. On the other hand if the general public doesn't get in til 10:00 AM, most swappers just sit and wait for 4 hours to sell anything.
    ...just trying to get the word out to avoid some confusion.

5. silent rick

silent rick

when does the show car gate open?

6. ^^^^^^...if the public gets in at 10:00AM, I'm guessing the cars get in about 8:00AM

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I am just super happy to see the show is still going on. The local fairgrounds have been raising the prices on rental of the grounds . We lost several swapmeets and shows because of this and would be sad to see another great show displaced by rising costs. It’s a shame the fairgrounds doesn’t give the extra day to John and the crew just for set up.
    It’s amazing how many folks come out to the show and fill up local businesses and bring revenue to the community .

chryslerfan55 and silent rick like this.
  8. silent rick

silent rick

chili this year john?

wingnutz and pprather like this.
  9. Cont. John,...you hit the nail on the head,...I don't think the fair board realizes
    how much $ comes into the city of Woodstock during an event like this;...or they just don't care. I sure hope something can be done to help this situation in the future.
    Maybe we should get participants to sign a petition at the show and send it to the fair board showing our concerns.

10. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Rick great Idea ! And good to hear your coming this year. I was thinking about doing pulled pork again. I think Chile sounds better and will cook up 5 gallons of the award winnng batch of “Sweet &Hot” So come by for a bowl and of course we’ll have Chicago Hot Giardiniera to add to it..
    Sam we should do something like a petition when you drive in...

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

Need clarification on the start times, before the show cars and the public were allowed in at the same time. Is John still allowing the show cars to come in at 8, but holding the public at the gates until 10? If I can't get my coupe onto the grounds before 10, that would suck. Gene

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. ^^^if you're bringin your coupe you are not "the public"
    I'm just going by what John told me to post;..the public would be spectators so I'm sure the show cars would already be allowed in before that.....if you arrive early, I'm guessing they will run cars up into the staging area strate in from the gate
    ...probly do the same with spectator parking just to keep cars off the main road coming to the fairgrounds....I'm sure it'll be a mess,...maybe the fairgrounds board will take notice after this, maybe not.
    ...it says "the public will get in at 10:00 AM Sat."
    ...thinkin they will want the swapmeet vendors in and out of the way first,...

13. Update:...swappers can get onto the grounds to set up Sat at 5:30 AM.
    ...no set up on Friday.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Do you know how much a swap space will be,not trying to ignite a "S" Storm but how much more is it to rent the Boone Co fairgrounds,A much more conveinant entry and exit about 11 miles west?

15. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think you can get in before 10 am unless you are an invited feature car. This is what John posted on his Iron Invasion Facebook page. "Friendly reminder that we will open at TEN in the morning at Iron Invasion!!! If you arrive early - that is OK. We will be staging spectators and show cars starting at 7am. But NO ONE gets in until 10am. If you are an indoor vendor, a swap meet vendor, feature car/motorcycle you must arrive before 8am."

16. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just talked to John Wells. The outdoor show cars cannot get in until 10 am. They can stage outside the gate before 10 am but the gate will not open until 10 am. All invited indoor feature cars and motorcycles must be there before 8 am on Saturday. Indoor vendors and invited indoor feature cars and motorcycles can set up on Friday between 9 am and 9 pm. The swap meet sellers cannot set up on Friday. The swap meet workers can get in at 5:30 am on Saturday. The swap meet sellers can not get in until 5:45 or 6 am on Saturday. Email John Wells at [email protected] with any questions.

17. swap spaces are $40 each and are 10x 20'

18. A Boner

A Boner

The show is held in Illannoy, right?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  19. gene-koning

gene-koning

Time for a new location.

silent rick likes this.
  20. I'd go just for the Chilli....!

Sent from my LM-V405 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

continentaljohn likes this.
  21. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Thanks Mark!
    In the past shows like the Hunnert car Pileup they also had staging before the gates opened . So this is not a new glitch just a bit of planning . I remember sitting in line for hours and having a great time kinda like” Tailgating the Invasion”

pprather likes this.
  22. ...as most of you know this show has been moved to Davenport Iowa at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds for Oct 9th & 10th.
    The public can get in at 5 PM on Friday evening for a pre-party, and Saturday at 9AM.

23. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Just pooo ! sorry to see that they moved