Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 1972 Lookout Mountian cruise video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 29, 2019.

1. If this don't bring back memories you are too young, enjoy the video. HRP

2. The looks on the faces of the people as they crossed the bridge is priceless.

3. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Brings back great memories, as I grew up in the 60's and 70's going to many rod runs and picnics like this.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Thanks for sharing the video Danny. Yes I am getting old and yes it brings back good memories. I was doing my soldier bit in 72 but got out and came home in Feb. 73. To look at those young folks in the video and think that they are now as old as me now, wow! I wonder how many of the people and cars are still with us?

As a side note, my wife and I went on the Worlds Longest Yard Sale the first week of August this year and went to Alabama a couple days before it started. We started north on the third day and it was raining so we decided to stop at Lookout Mountain and see Rock City. The rain stopped and we had a great time going thru Rock City and the views were out of this world at the lookout. My wife is the biggest sissy on the planet when it comes to heights but she crossed the bridge in the video without a panic attack:eek:

As Bob Hope always said "Thanks for the memories!"

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

" me Pappy tole' us stories about some hooligans traveling on the roadways without proper parts on 'em and made lots of noise" - must have been fun - watching 2019 pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance on Motor Trend channel now - kinda the same but, very different -- Thanks for posting

6. Remember seeing all the See Rock City barns around the area. HRP

[​IMG]

40ragtopdown and 3W JOHN like this.
  7. 2935ford

2935ford

Everyone there is under the age of 65!
    Make that same run today and everyone will be over the age of 65! :)
    What happened!

Rex_A_Lott, HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  8. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Was there in1969 with a buddy who's family was from Crossville Tennessee. Do they still put those signs on your bumper that say I visited Rock City? I remember all the old tin that seemed to be every where you looked back then in Tennessee.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Are you sure about the date Danny? That Torino at the first, about 2:30 is a 74 I think, might be a 73. Was this in the fall of the year? New models came out in Sept, so it might be a 73.....
    And how did that VW Bug get in there with a bunch of street rods? And the 66-67 Nova?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. I just posted the video, obviously it's later than '72, Coker Tire posted it originally,none the less it's interesting. HRP

11. That's a thing of the past but I remember seeing one hanging on the back of my granddad's camper in the late 60's. HRP

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Like the video coverage, very cool. Wonder if any of those cars are own by members of the HAMB now?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Man, the 70s style had a distinctive look, didn't it?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Yeah, the tires hung out in the breeze. :D HRP

Truck64 likes this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

On my first road trip through the rural Kentucky and Tennessee etc I decided "See Rock City" was the eastern equivalent of "Only 872 miles from Wall Drug!" that overjoys the traveller trying to get through Minnesota. Old barn roofs. I kinda like it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. 47ragtop

47ragtop

[/QUOTE]
    The rules were "looser" then and the Chattanooga bunch had later models than 1948 in their club. The VW belonged to a very well known painter and pin stripper from Nashville who is still an active builder today. Later Bill

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. 47ragtop

47ragtop

HRP's threads on Gatlinburg and this one about Chattanooga bring back many memories !! I am sure
    the video is from 1973 also. On The 1974 Rock City Roundup , we went to Chickamauga Lake and I have my dash plaque from 1974 and it is Round Up II. I can identify some of the cars and people from the video , but is it appropriate to identify them? Sorry for the crappie pics. Later Bill

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I was just a child, well older child. The orange c-dan with wide -5 and quick change, I remember seeing it in B'ham in 73-74. the gold 39 High rider is still around I think and Bill, that may be Butch's red 32?thats cool!!

HOTRODPRIMER and 47ragtop like this.
  19. 47ragtop

47ragtop

No , Butch still had his T Bucket. It is in the video - white with some wild 70's paint, red rear axle, and Corvette injection. The 39 high rider was/is from Tullahoma and he still had it 4 or 5 years ago. Yeah Bruce you had to be a child back then. Later Bill

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I may not be able to tell a 28 Ford from a 30, but I knew that Torino was newer than a 72. A Uncle bought a brand new 73, I rode many miles in it.

1973 I would have been 14 years old, so I was still a kid myself......

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I remember seeing those little bird houses and painted barn roofs along the road, even here in Ohio. I always ask my Dad if we could go to see Rock City. He said some day we would but it never seemed to work out. We were close one time when I was about 10 but we were on the way to Florida and dragging a camper so it didn't happen. Finally made it this year, only 58 years later:)

Truck64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Go in just about any Cracker Barrel restaurant and they sell Rock City birdhouses and it is said you could see 7 states from Lookout Mountain. HRP

47ragtop likes this.
  23. Great memories there. Big hair, stripped bell bottoms, white belts. What WERE we thinking? And the high water stance on the fat fender cars.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. In our minds we were Young and Cool, now we are a bunch of old farts but we are still Cool! HRP

25. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Thanks danny,I wish I could have been around this area at that time.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.