Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Radiator Hose Routing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Sep 29, 2019.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0522.JPG I have a 1926 Model T coupe with an SBC 350 with a full hood and side panels. As you guys know, the engine bay is really stuffed. The proverbial 10#'s in a 5# bag. On mine the water pump and radiator outlet at the bottom of the radiator end up in a position that makes the hose have to take a tight, short turn to get to the radiator. The only way I could get a hose in there and not kink the hose was to use that stupid ugly convoluted stainless crap. It was the only way to get tight enough turns. I hate it but it was the only way to plumb it. It is putting some stress into the radiator at the connection. The radiator is aluminum. If the lower 1-3/4" hose connector made a 90 coming out of the radiator, it would greatly simplify the hose routing. I have searched and am unable to find a 1-3/4" elbow suitable to weld onto my lower hose connection. That would fix the problem and I could put a normal rad hose in there. I even tried to make a solid steel tube, but the radius of the available pipe bends are just not tight enough to do the job cleanly. Do any of you guys have a source for an aluminum 1-3/4" tube elbow for this purpose?

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just Google 1 3/4" aluminum radiator hose and Summit, Jegs, Ebay, about a dozen others will show up with elbows of different configurations with the end bead for holding the hose. If you need to cut them it's easy to make a bead on the cut end.

4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

LOL. I was on Summit's site for probably an hour and never found that. I'm terrible with search terms. That piece would work as far as bend radius and diameter. The thing I'm wondering about would be how to make that little ridge at the end that the clamp cannot slip over. Is there some way to put that ridge in there? Or is it really necessary?

5. squirrel

squirrel

I actually used that piece in the plumbing for my latest build, and how I did the bead was to watch youtube, found a guy with the answer...get a cheap pair of large wire crimpers, cut away all the excess, and use it to crimp in a bead. I'll see if I can find a picture.

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

When I put my T together , I had the same problem , used 2 different hoses to get the bends then spliced with a piece of exhaust tubing , painted the hose clamps black so they weren't so noticeable , never had any trouble with it coming off , guy gave the chrome stuff after about 4 years Later and I put those on , you could paint yours , unless they look close , nobody will know ....

8. vickckik

vickckik

I once solved a similar problem by using copper pipe fittings and two short lengths of radiator hose. 1 1/2 inch copper can be expanded to 1 3/4 if it's necessary.

9. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Working on the same problem now.
    We cut the elbow out of Gates radiator hose part number 20957 It will need another 1/2" cut from the motor end to fit perfectly. 102_2928.JPG

10. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Thanks for the info. I found a piece at Jegs that would work, but have some concerns about the 90* quick turn slowing flow. I think squirrel's example would be the best option. Just have to put in the bead. I'm open to any suggestions as to how to put the bead in it.

11. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

jaw22w........ I think you are not reading some previous posts.

12. That homage crimp tool is the -hit! Man I learn something here every time I check in. Great tip there squirrel...

X-cpe likes this.
  13. X-cpe

X-cpe

On my coupster I had the lower radiator outlet changed to 2", the same as the water pump outlet, so it would be easier to find a hose that I could cut out a section with the required bends.

14. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yep! Your problem is very similar to mine, but mine requires more extreme bends. That bend to go straight forward to the radiator is what kinks a normal hose. I spent a couple hours in the back of several parts houses looking at every hose imaginable. No dice. I didn't know I was backing myself into a corner, but things had to go where they had to go. I don't think I could have changed much. Everything in my engine bay is a compromise to get it all to fit.

15. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

That Summit piece and the beading tool will work nicely to solve my problem. I also found a thread called "Radiator Tube Bead Forming" on Garage Journal. He made a bead former from a pair of old vice grips. Pretty neat. I just happen to have a dozen or so old vice grips.
    Thanks guys. I was pretty sure I would find the answer here. The power of the HAMB strikes again.

16. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When looking for a special hose configuration after getting the basic layout I sometimes have to look at formed hoses that I can use a piece out of. Since you usually don't get to look around the back room of the parts store anymore, I downloaded a Gates hose file that has pictures of the hoses as well as specifications. The pictures start about page 19.
    100_1507.JPG 100_1509.JPG

Attached Files:

warbird1 likes this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Unrelated but related. I salute you for improvising. Unlike a travel trailer forum I was with that gave a rash and a sh** for modifying a pair of end nippers to crimp pex line clamps. Said I was endangering members with unsafe act of suggestiveness.
    [​IMG]