Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Master Brian, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Master Brian

Master Brian

If I have a right hand drive vehicle, do I need to get a right hand drive steering box or would any from the likes of summit, speedway, etc. work?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  2. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i just pulled all the right hand drive parts out of my 34 rdst. spindals, steering box, petal assy, dash , transmisson, and free turning motor. anyone want to build a RH drive 34 rtst.???

Fortunateson likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Generally, the mounting points for a RHD steering box are on the opposide side from how they are on a LHD. If the box also has a pitman shaft that it horizontal, then it will poke out the opposite side of the box.

4. A box like the Vega/525 would have the mounting flange on the wrong side for cross steer.A box like the F1 Ford in theory could be turned over,and a new fill plug hole drilled,and tapped on what was once the bottom. The box could be mounted through the frame on the Austrailian side of the car,and a pitman installed for drag link steering to the right side wheel.Im guessing OP is in OZ,or the UK.Ive driven lots of US postal vehicles,and theres no advantage to sitting on the right outside of leaning out to stuff mail boxes.The left side of a closed car becomes a blind spot with out really good mirrors.

5. squirrel

squirrel

He's not from down under, or over the pond...he's working with something that used to deliver mail

6. brading

brading

LH RH STEERING BOX 1.jpg LH RH STEERING BOX 2.jpg LH RH STEERING BOX 3.jpg

This how one guy done it on this side of the pond.

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

I see from your profile page that you like 60's GM trucks. These mount the steering box on the outside of the frame. If you use a passenger car box that originally mounted on the inside of the frame and mounted it on the outside of the frame, you could do the conversion.