Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New project 1941 Ford pu

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SbcMike65, Aug 30, 2019.

1. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

IMG_0286.JPG Got the new project running, clutch linkage repaired and first road trip under its belt. Drives like an old Ford pick up and I love it. Wires went away. Have got wider rims for rear on the way. Next up redo all brakes and pull wood out of bed for refinishing.

2. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

IMG_0287.JPG There has been some question as to the year of cab on my '41 project. I have a clue and a question for those with Ford knowledge. Tag on inside of glove box (see pic) gives HP for 6 cylinder and V8. If memory serves me right in 1941Ford had a 4 cylinder or V8. Flathead 6 didn't come along until after WWII. If that's the case the cab is definitely later. Right or wrong? Thanks Mike

3. studebaker46

studebaker46

1941 was first year for the 6cyl hence different front crossmember, if your gastank was inside cab then your cab is 42 through 47 Tom

4. Your number shows up as 1946 by sequential serial numbers on VanPelts site, BUT 59 C shows as 1945 model. 99 C is a V8.
    Confusing.

5. Other than the gas tank and filler location, cabs are the same '40-;47. Bed and rear fenders are the same '38-'41, and '42-'47 is the same. '38-'41 pickup gas tank is the same as '38-'40 car and has the filler in the left rear fender. '42-'47 gas tank is under the seat and is the same as '38-'41 3/4 ton and 1 ton. '38-'41 mounts the spare tire on the passenger side, '42-'47 mounts it on the driver's side. Ford widened the pickup beds in '42 because more building material was being made in 4x8 sheets. A sheet of plywood will lay flat in a '42 or later bed, but the '38-'41 bed is only 46" inside width.

6. clem

clem

Talking to the owner of one yesterday, he says the chassis was different from the ‘40 as it was set up to take any one of 3 options; 4 cyl, 6 cly, or V8.
    Either way, not many ‘41 pickups around. This is the only one that I’ve ever seen over here.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or the cab could be a 40/41 from a big truck, 3/4 ton or larger. Same cab but the big trucks had the gas tank under the seat.

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put a cardboard headliner kit in my '39 p/u from Mac's. Fits OK but the roof droops down a bit. Don't know if its the liner or the sound deadening foil I glued to the roof coming loose and pressing on the liner. IIRC there is a company in Fresno, CA that produces an ABS headliner that might be an option as well. The liner kit from Mac's wasn't cheap but occasionally they go on sale with discounted shipping.

9. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

I think hotroda got it right, CONFUSING. Truck is legally registered as a 1941 and that's all that really matters to me. I can drive and enjoy. I may move that tank to the rear in the future with filler in bed, not sure at this time. Thanks 51504bat on headliner info. I had thought about the ABS alternative, just wasn't sure about texture. I believe they will send samples of the material. I'm not shooting for showroom original, just a clean driver. I appreciate the input from all.

10. agshelby

agshelby

Just relax and enjoy the truck. It looks like a nice driver and you can drive and modify it to your taste. It is a hot rod - do whatever suits you and don't look back.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  11. jazz1

jazz1

Those fibre headliners droop if not supported, more so if you add a interior light. That’s been my experience but they are a excellent template for making your own headliner. I made headliner with 1/8” plastic and covered with vinyl material

12. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

IMG_2918.JPG IMG_2917.JPG Thanks to everyone for their input. First on the list are brakes and refinishing bed wood while still save able. Haven't decided on front brakes yet. Like the idea of rebuilding originals with a pair of Speedways repop Buick aluminum finned drums but by the time I figure cost in parts I think I could buy 2 disc brake kitso_O. The adapters in pic are gone and new studs were put in to go back to the 5 x 5 1/2 bolt pattern and brakes made usable so I could move it around. Thanks again

13. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

IMG_2990.JPG IMG_2992.JPG IMG_2977.JPG IMG_2976.JPG Had a pacemaker implanted and needed a project I could do while recuperating. Pulled metal strips and existing mahogany planks out to redo. Mahogany had some weather checking but to nice to replace. Sanded it down applied a cherry stain and then an exterior driftwood grey. Helped with the weathered look and I liked the way it looked with the blue paint on the truck.
    Don't plan on reinstalling until I complete some stuff underneath. Taillights aren't working, gotta replace some wiring. Leaving out bed for better lighting, old eyes don't see as well as they use to.
    Anyone want to venture a guess to what this rear came from? When I purchased truck I thought it was from a ranger pu. It has 4 bolt drums with adapters that were made by someone to put the 5 x 5 1/2 wheels on. No tags no #s stamped on tubes. I'm thinking mustang 2 or maverick. Plan on hauling drums and wheel cylinders to parts store and drive some counter guy crazy!

waxhead likes this.
  14. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

IMG_2918.JPG IMG_2987.JPG As you can see, I've got mismatched front drums. Needless to say these need help. I know I can go to disc and get better braking but I would actually like to keep it more traditional. That said there's a lot of stuff on the market and it can get pricey real fast. I'd like to know what other guys are running, Lincoln, f-100, etc. how happy are you with it?

15. I upgraded my '41 to F100 front brakes and they work great. I would find a rear that's the right width and bolt pattern and get rid of the wheel adapters.

16. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

Thanks 1oldtimer.
    Are you using the original master cylinder or have you upgraded to a dual chamber? Long term plan this rear will probably be replaced, but right now I'm just trying to make everything safe and reliable. I'm gearing up to build a new shop so don't want to get into anything major at this time. Redoing brakes is one thing but right now no drive train replacement. I have no idea as to cost but I think one of those new Cummings turbo 4 cylinders with multi-speed auto would be sweet. Probably a pipe dream. Got a hunch those carry a hefty price tag.
    Any surprises installing those f-100 brakes? I believe there's a thread on here doing that swap. Thanks Mike

17. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IIRC, you need F100 front hubs, drums and backing plates. There is some slight modification to the 37/41 spindle. I have a bearing and seal adapter kit available ( speedway). I was going that way on my truck and went Lincoln instead. If you can get the used F100 parts you need reasonably, that’s the least expensive. Probably. F100 is 11 in. dia drum and Lincoln is 12 in.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. Just the stock master cylinder. There is a little grinding to do on the top of the spindle.
    [​IMG]

"I did also want to post about the F100 conversion just in case everyone didn't know. There are 2 wheel seals for this conversion and everything I read only talked about 1. You need to measure the seal hub on the spindle, 1 1/2" is the National 450461 (in all the articles), if it's 1 9/16" then you need a National 473441. If you have the wrong seal it won't go on the last 1/4" or so, you can force it but it drags bad."

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  19. agshelby

agshelby

It appears that your front shock supports are installed on the wrong sides of the truck. The lean to the shock should be more vertical. Mine were also installed backwards - and had been that way for a long, long time, maybe since new. There is a "R" and "L" stamped on the backside of the original pieces.

There should also be a swaybar in the stock suspension - I see that yours is missing.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Bandit Billy likes this.
  20. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Love that truck! I used a kit on my 56 to convert to discs. Uses later f150 rotors and Chebby pickup calipers. Very easy and works great. I'm pretty sure you can get the kit for your 41 (or 46) also. Basically all the kit is, is a pair of brackets and bolts for about $100.00. You buy the rest of it from your local parts store.

21. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

Thanks for all the input. Have decided to stay with the drums over discs. Going to go with new 12 x 2 self energizing and a pair of Speedways repop finned drums. Thanks on that shock bracket info. I've been concerned not by the bracket but the shocks themselves. There is only about 1 in of travel at the top of shock rod while sitting on suspension. Seems like shocks are to long compressing them down to fit bracket.
    Got a little to much on plate. Trying to get new shop built, so don't want to get to crazy tearing stuff apart but would like to yank whole front out, fit new brakes, change to Posies mono leaf etc. gonna have to settle for just brakes at this time, rewire taillights and leave it alone tell shop finished. Thanks again

22. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0508.JPG IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0515.JPG Thought I'd post recent pics of the '41 and update its status.
    All brakes redone. Lincoln with aluminum drums on front.
    Split the front bumper and added push pad.
    Bed wood and strips refinished.
    Got all electrics working. Added blue dots to p/u lites.
    Added tongue n' cheek graphics.
    Sound deadner in cab.
    Just put 235-70-15 tires on rear helped fill up fender and improved gearing. Have no idea why previous owner was running such a short tire. Drives much better now.
    Just having a ball out putting it around.