Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Overload spring for transverse leaf rear suspension (for 'shine hauling)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Can anyone give me an explanation as to how this type of overload spring, often used by moonshine haulers functioned? Was it a torsion spring like over garage doors? How did it attach? Anyone have pictures of one in use? I'm sure Junior Johnson must have used one.:) FB_IMG_1569639438963.jpeg facebook_1521147516627.jpg DSC07017.JPG

2. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Lothiandon, looks to me like it would hook over the eye ends of the spring and as the added weight tried to flatten out the spring the coil would help resist flattening out

3. .............I like that. So, do you think it would have been adjustable like a garage torsion spring for heavier loads?

lothianwilly71 and hrm2k like this.
  4. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Studebakerjoe is right on point, they hooked over each end of the transverse spring and they are adjustable much like the springs on a snow plow blade. Back in the day they also made leaf overloads that would mount above the rear spring and would only contact the main when the load was enough. In the collection I have a couple that mounted under the spring and the main would pull on it when loaded. The southern boys weren't they only ones running shine, many gallons went over the Canadian border.

catdad49, Dino 64, Hnstray and 2 others like this.

5. I find it fascinating some of the innovations and engineering that 'shiners employed to help ply their trade, particularly in the hauler cars. Double shocks, these overload springs and I read once where some cars had back seat bottom cushions with springs that were the perfect size for inserting Mason jars of product so as to hide them. I'm guessing that only the more "sophisticated" runners actually used tanks like Mitchum in Thunder Road.

6. Sounds like Don is looking to do some moonlighting. Don't tell anyone!
    [​IMG]
    What's in that corn cob pipe, anyway?

Dino 64, lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@lothiandon1940 .....Don’t forget....the Ford pickups of the era also used the same chassis and suspension design as the passenger cars. That overload spring would also fit the truck. It wasn’t only ‘shine runners who had a need for it. Not as ‘romantic’ as ‘shine, but just as useful. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  8. ......So very true. Good point.

lothianwilly71 and Dino 64 like this.
  9. I purchased my 40 coupe in late 90's and it had one on it. I never used it. It is a N.C. car, could have been
    a shine hauler?? Who knows?? Food for thought & makes for a good story.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. .....and who doesn't like a good story!:D;)

lothianwilly71 likes this.