Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What makes your car or cars unique?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KoolKat-57, Jul 17, 2019.

1. ...cuz my 47 pickup has a flying pig on the dash.
    47 p u 2012 008.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and Dave Mc like this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

My nut and bolt frame off restored 60 Poncho Bubbletop.You don't see these to often. HYq2SbttQgeNAfh%02YAZQ.jpg IMG_0147.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  3. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

[​IMG]

Had these on my 55 Chevy and a spoon pedal....both a little out of place. Dang I miss that truck!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  4. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I think my 1933 Ford Fourdoor Victoria Convertible Sedan ( C400 ) is the only one ever built ? and it has a Trunklid , which Sedans of that year did not have.

JelliPups5179 016.jpg IMG_0536.JPG

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  5. Latigo

Latigo

Owned it for 55 years. Still running a flathead 6.
    Go figure.

Dave Mc and Elcohaulic like this.
  6. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

What makes mine unique? The fact that my finger prints are on every single piece and part on the car.

MMM1693 and hfh like this.
  7. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

My car is unique because it has a dash mounted Virgin Mary that came from my wife’s grandmothers house. It has a cue ball shifter that came from her grandfathers pool table. It has a 4 speed shifter handle custom made from a shifter handle I found in her dads car hoard. I made the nerf bars from a old weight lifting bar - from when I was little and I would hang out with my old man when he lifted weights. All these people are gone now and it makes me feel good to know these things are a part of this car.
    F24E1B86-1E1B-44AC-BE24-EF867C2FE8E8.jpeg
    E8B746C0-2F74-4FB0-BFE7-A2BF50B61DF6.jpeg
    1286739D-268A-472C-8A54-2562300462C8.jpeg

Hank37, scotty t, Elcohaulic and 4 others like this.
  8. alumslot

alumslot

I think because it's NOT a Gasser. 20190901_163644.jpg

Bugguts, Hank37, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  9. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Scratch built Miniature Ten Wheeler , My Dad built 3 our pic`s 181.jpg our pic`s 182.jpg

stanlow69 and adam401 like this.
  10. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

48 Ford w/Olds Grille , Buick Tailamps and the Hood - Door mouldings line-up.
    IMG_0989.JPG IMG_0358.JPG

chevyfordman, Hank37, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  11. Country Joe

Country Joe

This interior. Nobody has a interior as goofy as my car. I don't know what the previous owner was smoking but phase 2 of this project is a new interior. Everytime I open the door, I'm expecting 20 clowns to come piling out......
    IMG_3665.jpg IMG_5216.jpg

-Brent-, Hank37, Dave Mc and 2 others like this.
  12. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

I had a 1955 Plymouth two door post with a 277 HEMI and three on the tree back in the 60's . Chrysler verified that it was factory built. The engine had EX numbers on it (Experimental). All it was good for was wasting rear tires. Wish I would have kept it.

13. Very interesting, mine is really a Chrysler if you hadn’t noticed!

14. Well being as Taboo is a custom, quite a bit makes it unique, but some of my personal favorite things are the 54 Chevy grill with 19 teeth, 57 Chrysler headlights, 60 Chrysler Tail lights and then the 59 Impala bumpers. The fully dressed 327 is cool too with it's 6x2's and the suicide doors are a love/hate thing with people, but the guy that did the conversion did such a great job engineering it and using all period correct(ish) stock style pieces to do it.

Chadly 399.jpg 3.jpg 0.jpg 2.jpg

enloe, -Brent-, kadillackid and 4 others like this.
  15. That candy cane interior was quite a popular trend in the early 60's. Quite a few customs ran similar setups. It's just one of those trends that people love/hate and to me really hasn't aged well.

16. I think what makes my 33 unique isn't really what is odd about the build as its a typical hot rod/street rod built in the late 80's/ early 90's. Has a dropped axle and straight spoke torque thrusts, but has grey cloth interior and has the typical 350/350 combo, but what make the pickup unique is that this truck is what got me hooked into old cars. My grandfather put in the seat of the truck as a newborn and I was hooked for life.
    38174816822_2bedcef74d_k.jpg 38174820922_2893630435_h.jpg 33 2.jpg 33 5.jpg

17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

It was my dads.......

Dave Mc likes this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My choice of material for the interior. Scan0128.jpg

Elcohaulic likes this.
  19. jazz1

jazz1

i don't farm out any of the work and they only get one ride on a trailer

Attached Files:

20. phat rat

phat rat

0385 (2).JPG 1917_T_t.gif The cpe, chopped with the drip rails intact, BBC powered

The T , Hemi with trips and a 4 spd

Hank37, LBCD and Dave Mc like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Over the weekend, we were talking about our old cars from high school. Of course, the conversation with the younger set, in the mix, was with Camaros and 4x4 trucks. But, when it came time to explain the 58 Impala, I chose to tell them about clear plastic seat covers that no one in the whole Bixby Knolls cruising area had on their daily drivers/ weekend racers. Everyone got a big laugh about that story.

Sure Fit clear plastic seat covers:
    Howard Zink Corporation was the major manufacturer of all sorts of patterns and designs, including clear plastic seat covers.

Excerpts from the weekend get together...

As we have seen in older cars, there were a myriad of patterns and designs. The Sure Fit Company had designs that were very similar, but were add-ons to change the look or to try and match the original from the factory. My brother actually ordered his 58 Impala with red interior and those multi-color inserts. But, after a few drives in Levi jeans, he could see a darkened pattern showing up where he sat. (especially the red edge) It was the constant getting in and out of the driver’s seat from the blue shade of the jeans.
    upload_2019-9-30_4-36-55.png
    So, after cleaning the darkened areas to make it look like new, he went to the local Long Beach Boulevard, Sure Fit Seat Cover Store, near our high school.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/customs-and-interior-colors.1136970/page-3#post-12930004
    Having owned the 58 Impala after 1960, I can attest to the cleanliness of the seats. Sure, I got tons of ribbing from other guys in their sedans. But, they had to see my Impala’s taillights while trying to downplay my clear plastic seat covers. My brother had a great idea, since we were at Lions Dragstrip almost the week after he bought the Impala. Besides, our mom never let us out of the house without clean Levis. We had to hide the worn, well used ones for "the Look."

Not that we normally walk around in dirty Levi jeans, but they just get worn and blemished from everything. As avid hot rodders/drag racers, oil on jeans and hands is a common place thing. But the seat covers did their job and kept everything looking great with little worry about damaging the bright red/multi color insert seats, even when we put a single Bruce Slick in the back seat area in one of the many times going to Lions Dragstrip in the early days.
    (the other Bruce Slick was in the trunk)

upload_2019-9-30_4-37-32.png

Jnaki

The first thing most everyone asks is the heat from the plastic covers. Yes, they were warm. But those freezing drives in the snowy Big Bear/Arrowhead Lake excursions were warm and comfortable. Snow drips from clothing were just like sweat rolling off of your forehead…a simple wipe and it was gone, but warm while sitting. The several times we took the Impala to go surfing, on the way home they provided protection and warmth.

What about driving in the summer? My dad popped up one day with this funny black/red mesh covered wire frame. “Cooling seats” was a good name for it. His friend from L.A. had given him a couple of sets of those mesh frames. With the windows and vents open, the air circulated behind our backs in the space the wire mesh seatback provided. It was a cooling effect that worked.

It worked so well that when I sold the Impala to a good friend, I had taken off the clear plastic seat covers and the “for sale” technique worked. (Instant sale on the first look.) He was totally amazed that the seats were so pristine and looked like it rolled off of the dealer’s showroom floor. He had been in my Impala many times while driving around, but the sight of a new interior was amazing, for all of us. They work!

The experience was so good that when I bought the 1965 El Camino, I immediately went to the Sure Fit Seat Cover Store for a clear cover for the single seat. Desert motorcycle racing does cause plenty of wear and tear with plenty of dirt. But, just a simple wipe kept the interior seats clean. When I sold the El Camino in 1975, the new owner commented about the new interior seat surfaces and said that I did not have to re-upholster the seats. He was going to put in all black seating, anyway…oh well, at least it looked brand new after 10 years.

Note: The very cool, Zink sisters (daughters) were in many of my classes at our high school. What a small world.

22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Building a custom makes it easy to be unique. The obvious answer might be the Kandy paint or scallops, but the most unique aspect of the car to me is the 383 Chrysler under the hood. I can't think of any 57 Fords that have had that swap, and it took a lot of work to get it in there, including making the oil pan, etc. Here's a pic of my Dad (who didn't help with it) and I from probably 2004.
    10400152_614879299904_5268893_n.jpg

das858 likes this.
  23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

MoonEyesChristmasShow2012028.jpg
    the panel is gone to a friend, but the Ute is now running with new front suspension

24. Always wanted a flamed hot rod since I was 16 . Finally when I was 52 back in 1992 came up with this design after many drawings . The complete paint job took me 3 days until finished , my wife video taped a lot of it. This grille was a 41 Packard which I had just bought. I didn't have the flames outlined in blue yet. DSC00228.JPG DSC00231.JPG DSC00233.JPG Also the paint wasn't cured enough to wet sand and buff at this time.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  25. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Mine is unique cause I have construction pictures from the builder, a picture signed by Jim Jacobs, 2 copies of the magazine it is in(RodAction-July 1985 issues),Pete Eastwood's phone number(he built the frame) and I have owned the coupe for 22yrs and still enjoy it. 1926 Ford coupe built by Stan VanAmburg of Temple City Ca. I also got to meet Steve Anderson who wrote the article on the coupe for RodAction Mag. Also I have a picture of my coupe in the same garage with the California Kid and the ZZ Top coupe...…………..

26. IMG_3655.JPG It's 65% wood…

exterminator, chevy57dude and jnaki like this.
  27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Nothing in particular they are just cool:)

chevy57dude likes this.
  28. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Mine is unique due to the poor workmanship performed by me.

hotrodjack33, enloe and chevy57dude like this.
  29. Primer , whitewalls, full moons, and Carson top on my tub and 51 Merc[​IMG]

exterminator likes this.
  30. 34Larry

34Larry

Its 65 year hot rod story and its history seen at https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Jerry_Berg's_1934_Ford.
    And that I have it documented by the original builder and 2nd original builder. It was also a feature car in the 2018 July issue, of the European magazine, Gasoline.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019