Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 Mercury flathead clutch??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dan E, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Dan E

Dan E

I’ve got a 1953 Mercury Monterey with flathead Merc and a three speed with overdrive. I’m trying to locate a new or rebuilt pressure plate (clutch cover) and apparently they are different than a Ford.

The one in my Merc now is a Borg & Beck 1319. I’ve called Mac’s, Speedway, and Shoebox Central and no luck.

I believe I can change out my flywheel for a Ford and then just use the plentiful Ford clutches, but I don’t know if there’s a balance issue with the two different flywheels, or just a different pressure plate bolt pattern.

Anyone???????

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Texas Webb likes this.
  3. 36fordguy

36fordguy

I have what you need I took a 8CA motor and put it in an early ford. I have the Pressure Plate disk and flywheel all in good shape If interested I could pull it out and send picture, part number email [email protected]
    36fordguy

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would find a diaphragm pressure plate instead of messing with that old and obsolete B&B. Many have the same bolt pattern, and any good clutch shop can match the finger height with a bent finger diaphragm plate that will work with your disc and T/O bearing.

Dan E likes this.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I believe your Merc clutch and pressure plate is 10 in. Don't think Ford is unless it's a pick up.
    Keep it 10 in. with your flywheel and get correct parts.

Dan E likes this.
  6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

7. Dan E

Dan E

Thanks for the offer!!!!, but if I’m going in......I’m going to install new. My clutch doesn’t slip, it just chattered real badly.

8. flatford39

flatford39

Did you try Van Pelts???

9. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pressure plate I'm running is a common GM/Chrysler diaphragm that uses 10"-10.4" discs, and measures 11 5/8" across the widest bolts, same as the '51-'53 Mercury B&B. The fingers are bent to work with smaller OD T/O bearings, like my '51 Mercury and through '53. Advantages of a diaphragm are lower cost, greater availability and lower pedal efforts.
    The disc I'm using is 10.4" splined for a Mustang T-5.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  10. Dan E

Dan E

Is your pressure plate number M-Pact 361675?

So the disc for the T5 is the same spline count (10) as the stock 3 speed?

11. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, my pressure plate is # 361675, IIRC 350 sbc around 300 hp. The disc is 1 1/16" for a Mustang T-5 that I am using behind the 8BA in my '32.

Dan E likes this.
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd check the motor mounts and transmission mounts first if you have clutch chatter problems. I had a bad clutch chatter on my '51 Ford, and a resurfaced flywheel and a new disc and pressure plate didn't make much difference. A new set of motor mounts solved my problems. These mounts are designed in such a way that they can separate, leading to engine movement and related clutch chatter problems. For this reason, only use the best mounts you can find (domestically made).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    sidevalve8ba and Dan E like this.