Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Have you ever did any part of a build in your house

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 27, 2019.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Carbs at the dinner table, best lights in the house!:)

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Not my house but my parents. I built most of my T roadster in my parents basement. Most kids today play Xbox in their parents basement; I built a HotRod!

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

About 1972, autumn ...

Does building a small Chevy engine in an upstairs apartment count ?

My girlfriend was ok with it because every time I worked on it, "I" vacuumed the living room really well..!

I held the low end up about my shoulders, so the higher up guy didn't have to work as hard. We grabbed the short block and with a "support" guy pushing on my shoulders, we made it down the stairs fine.
    Set the engine on a dolly and rolled it into the garage/carport (three walls, no door). The guy that held the high side helped me put the short block into the car (56 Chevy). We had a 4" x 4" with a chain wrapped around it. Moving blankets on the fenders and grill. After a short rest the three of us went at the lift. We raised the short block while the third friend steadied the block.
    Luckily, the short block dropped right into place with little fiddling.

And yes, I DO have pictures in an old fashioned photo album, but in 35mm and no way to transfer to digital.

Mike

4. At one point I had the front half of my 32 PU in my second story apartment spare bed room.Fenders,hood,grill ,radiator,front axle,wishbones,spindles,brakes.Built the truck in a single stall garage that I had to run 50 feet of cord to just to have electricity .

5. Kirby vacuum.

6. 1st tbucket in the basement. from drawing frame on the floor, to firing it up. disassembled it and reassembled it in the backyard.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and wicarnut like this.
  7. I had sand blasted and painted a set of steel wheels with enamel paint. A couple of days later my wife came home from work early and caught me with wheel #3 in her new oven. :eek: I've done it since, but never been caught at it again. :D

8. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Honestly, hasn't everyone at some time or another.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I also built a 55 Panhead in my house because I didn't have any place to build a car. I was thinking about building a flathead V8 in my living room lately. Kind of want a spare hanging around the house just in case I need it.

10. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

I built and upholstered the interior of my T in my apartment. It turned out quite respectable in my opinion. Every surface in the place, furniture, drapes, floors and windows ended up with a fine coating of 3M spray adhesive.

11. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I built my first flathead in my bedroom.

Truck64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Built quite a few motorcycles in the house-one spare bedroom was my bike shop.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

No but I have parts on the house!! image.jpg

14. That's pretty cool. is it used for a coat/hat rack? HRP

15. I built my brother's Muncie 4 speed downstairs on my old pool table. Built many carbs on the kitchen table. My wife complained every time I'd paint something in my little 1 car garage. Our TV room was adjacent to my garage with a door between. Everytime I'd open the door to the garage smells would enter the house. [kept the Pontiac engine now in my 34 behind my recliner with a big towel over it...she never new] . What to do? Easy! I just made the TV room a part of my garage! Moved all the furniture and TV upstairs and I took over the old TV room...this is what it looks like now. garage1_15_2.jpg

16. blackanblue

blackanblue

Not cars or trucks but 2 bikes a 64 panhead and 70 Norton,, that was premarriage the panhead in the low ceiling basement of a rented house, the Norton in my 11 floor apartment spare bedroom, had that panhead forty years and rode every year except one when I was building my house.

irishsteve and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

^ Weird you should mention Norton. Back in the late seventies I built a Norton chopper in my living room. I put a canvas tarp down to protect the carpet. In '83 I traded the chopper in for a new Harley FLHS. Still have the Harley....and the tarp!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I've heard of it being done with one of these as well.
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Many carbs on the kitchen table. 3 or 4 Pontiac motors in the kitchen, used the kitchen cause it had sliding doors.

Numerous bits and pieces thru out the house. Grille assemblies, dash assemblies, console assemblies etc.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife is a sweetheart but I don't think she'd be too crazy about me trying to build a car inside. I do get to store my freshly painted parts in the dining room until I am ready for them tho! When I was young I rebuilt a VW engine in my bedroom and built a sporty in the kitchen of my apartment.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Did some I.R.A.N. on some small parts in the house.But the topper was when Mom and Dad came home one day and I had the full parts kit for a 1911A1 Colt laid out on the dining room table.Dad says"Good luck with that pile of parts".Hour and a half I called him to see the results.One ready to go to the range for test firing.Worked a treat for sure.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

No a hanging flower basket.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. I like it, it's unique. HRP

24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks, it all junk that was to far gone to go back on a car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I baked some VHT on a manifold in the oven ONCE. Yeah, that went over well. :(

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Fun stories,by all. Ya do as you can. All through my teens,we only had a 2 car carport and that was Dad an Moms parking. Thanks to a OK size back yard an big weeds,I did have a place to mess with my car parts. Some times I'd get to use one side of car port for a day or two. Then there was this time I rebuilt a V8 Olds Rocket 88 in my bedroom with out Mom knowing? or did she. Had to take EX-mans back off an the door to get out,too drop in my Henry J.

27. I wrinkle finished a set of Harley-Davidson jugs in the oven without thinking there might be a problem, the boss lady came home and ask what was that horrible smell, it didn't take long for her to find what I did, that stunt cost me several hundred dollars, lesson learned the hard way. :rolleyes: HRP

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I never built any part of a car in the house, but did build my 55 panhead chopper in my house.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. williebill

williebill

As my dad got closer to retirement, he walled in the 15 x 15 covered porch, room on the back of their house. Nice walls, insulation, new furniture, new door, and nice red carpet. Shortly after, I brought home a 49 panhead basket case. Assembled it over a couple of years, with the frame sitting on a milk crate. In their retirement room, in the middle of the floor. After it was running, and I wasn't ready to move back out yet ( for the 3rd or 4th time....hey I was about 19 ), then the only place I had to keep it was in that same room. Kept a bigass cookie sheet thing under the leaks as best I could. I'd try to let it cool off a bit before I'd roll it in the house. I never noticed what the house always smelled like. Don't know why they put up with that, and a million other things I did, but I made it up to them as they got older.
    EDIT.. They did get to finally use their retirement room, a couple of years later. Until they moved to a different house, Mom liked to discuss all the fuckups in their red carpet that the panhead caused. I heard that for years.
    And HRP, wrinkle painted parts in Moms stove IS a big mistake. Mom bitched nonstop for a long time.