Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Moderators, I think there is a spammer a few posts below this.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Critical Mass, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

There are at least 3 threads by the same guy.

Oldioron likes this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you see obvious "Spam", click on it (don't open any links or pictures) and click on the "Report" button. Then type "Spam" into the reason box, and it will go away as soon as the second "Report" is made. This takes a load off of the Moderators.

3. 3 or 4 times this week there were anywhere from 3 to 6 spam posts in the late evenings.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Maybe he's talking about HOTRODPRIMER. :)

seabeecmc, 47ragtop, TagMan and 16 others like this.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think Ryan needs to give us kill points for the number of spammers we report.
    I lost count of how many I reported the other night from the same guy (wednesday night) but it had to be over ten with links to something on a football game. They usually show up right around 10 pm pacific time which makes it midnight Texas/central time where most of the moderators are.

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Oooooh! I got to take down 3 spam posts last night. You can report them twice, you just have to re-report them the second time. Great fun!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. What's the difference in a scammers and hemorrhoids?

Nothing, there both a pain in the Arse! HRP

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  9. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I usually take a quick flip thru around 6am central. Been picking off a few of the overnight scammerrhoids lately.

10. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

Thanks Tubman. I'm just hesitant to click on anything because there might be viruses there.

loudbang likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What I really want to know is............who the hell came up with pumpkin spice flavored SPAM!:eek:

12. Never2low

Never2low

The fact that someone came up with the idea of pumpkin spiced Spam, is strange enough, the fact that it sold out in a matter of hours, is mind boggling.:confused:

Although, I did recently find out what a cult following it has in Hawaii, of all places.
    Apparently they grew quite fond of it during WWII, and it's part of the culture, now.

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I just saw a spam. I did Idid.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

And just like that it's gone.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55, pitman and loudbang like this.
  15. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some spam killing goes on from overseas while most of you are dreaming about whatever you're dreaming of :). Seems spam never sleeps, like rust.

The required wait between taking shots at them is frustrating though and to be honest does tend to want me to not bother and just walk on by. Not great but hey! I've asked why this wait is necessary (I assume there must be a reason, probably a good one) but got no reply from the mods. Anyone else happen to know?

I like the 'spam killing' points idea! Sometimes a nice warm feeling just isn't enough!

Chris

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You really don't want killing threads to be quick and easy, or you might get someone on here killing legitimate threads just for fun. It just takes the same type of mentality that motivates "spammers".

dirty old man, Happydaze and chopped like this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

So, because one person might shit their pants, and we all gotta wear diapers?

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unfortunately, there are a lot of incontinent people out there. It is the internet, after all.

VANDENPLAS, Beanscoot and warbird1 like this.
  19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Nah, it isn't really any different than any other kind of abuse or asshattery, just nuke the offending member.

20. where is the report button?

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

22. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

If you’re using the app, tap/hold on the post and a menu will appear. I hold in the area of the poster’s name so I don’t accidentally hit one of the junk links. Then hit report off the menu.
    IMG_2187.JPG

Speed Gems and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah but.... the two strikes to kill doesn't really actually kill it, it simple quarantines it (for want of a better expression) for the mods to actually perform the final dispatching, if appropriate. So anybody trying to kill off legit threads (or posts) would soon get found out, dealt with appropriately and presumably the deleted items restored. I agree the required wait would presumably stop a frenzied idiot, but someone with patience and time could presumably do a bunch of temporary damage.

Chris

loudbang, Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. upspirate

upspirate

Does it take 2 strikes from the same member, or if 1 does it then another does it does that get rid of it? (or quarantine as Happydaze says)

25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I believe it's two (2) total, either/or, makes it go bye-bye from the publicly viewable threads.

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like playing "WHACK A MOLE"!

upspirate, chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  27. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I just got one! Another football related spam message. I must have hit the second report cuz he's gone now.. I feel good. Looking forward to the next one!

28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Fun, aint it.

52HardTop likes this.
  29. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It is okay to open the threads, just don't click on anything after that except the report button. Do not click on the links they post.

upspirate likes this.