Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BRAKES..........F100 brakes on 37 to 48 Ford spindles..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Roadster, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Also here's something I found on my '41 truck about the F-100 brake conversion.

"I did also want to post about the F100 conversion just in case everyone didn't know. There are 2 wheel seals for this conversion and everything I read only talked about 1. You need to measure the seal hub on the spindle, 1 1/2" is the National 450461 (in all the articles), if it's 1 9/16" then you need a National 473441. If you have the wrong seal it won't go on the last 1/4" or so, you can force it but it drags bad and will most likely waste your seal."

Tim and sport fury like this.
  2. sport fury

sport fury

I bought the bearing and seal kit from speedway motors. I hope I got the correct seal. I also bought the traditional brake hand book from speedway. a waste of money as for the tiny 'book" did not have any info that is not already on the hamb.

3. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I bought the bearing & seal kit from Speedway against my better judgement. The quality is less than stellar and the seals absolutely do not fit a F100 hub... oh well live and learn

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sport fury likes this.
  4. Speedway's kit is economical & convenient; but there are alternatives available (that come in boxes instead of loose in a bag).
    new bearings (Medium).jpg

rod1, 67L36Driver, Tim and 6 others like this.
  5. sport fury

sport fury

can this dimension variation be caused by the year of the ford spindle being used?

6. I’m pretty sure that’s the case but I don’t know the year cutoffs.

7. I was sure the seal area on all the Ford spindles were the same; but I was digging around looking for a set of spindles today and thought I would check for sure. '35-'36, '37-'41' & '42-'48 all measure right close to 1-9/16". Even had a '32-'34 with an old juice brake spacer on it that measured the same.

I'm guessing that maybe the 1-1/2" seals fit easier in the past when they were leather.
    spindle seal OD.jpg

8. sport fury

sport fury

any chance that new shoes would match the new drums?

9. Sometimes they do, but always check them before hand. They really suck with a small contact patch stopping wise.

sport fury likes this.
  10. sport fury

sport fury

what is the interchangeability of the backing plate bolts and the spindle nuts and washers between the f100 spindles and the early ford spindles.

11. sport fury

sport fury

if I am using a stock 53-56 front brake hose what type of fitting do I need to connect the male fitting of the brake hose (side opposite the wheel cylinder end)

12. Regular 3/8" inverted flare brake lines. Something to watch for; F-100's had a threaded frame end fitting that was secured by a 5/8-18 nut; but some of the replacement hoses come with a slot for the usual clip.
    P2160021 - Copy.jpg

sport fury likes this.
  13. Backing plate bolts are the same. The '35 and earlier spindle nuts were taller; but the later ones are the same as F-1/F-100.

sport fury likes this.
  14. sport fury

sport fury

when cleaning up my 55 ford f100 backing plates I noticed a part number on each of them. the p/n ends in an R on one of the plates and the other plate p/n ends with a L. I am assuming this means right and left placement on the front of the car.

67L36Driver likes this.
  15. Yes; they are side specific, the bolt pattern is such that the backing plates are clocked to place the wheel cylinder hose just aft of the king pin.

67L36Driver, Tim and sport fury like this.
  16. sport fury

sport fury

to make theses brakes self adjusting I have read to use the self adjusting brake hardware from a 66 f100 front brakes. are the star adjusters by themselves interchangeable from 53-66? or is the rest of the self adjusting hardware interchangeable.

17. The star adjusters are different for self-adjusting brakes. They have smaller teeth and one has left had threads. The star wheel adjusters usually come in a "self adjuster repair kit", one left kit and one right kit. These kits will be needed in addition to the regular hardware kit.

You also should cut an additional adjusting slot in the L/H plate to access the new star wheels location.

Nothing wrong with self adjusting brakes; but I don't see the point on a hot rod.

Here is a borrowed picture of F-100 set up as self adjusting.
    F-100 with self adjusters.JPG

seb fontana and sport fury like this.
  18. sport fury

sport fury

I bought the repair kits for each side for 66 f100. I am glad to hear I have the correct parts. I thought possibly I may have needed the f100 adjuster with rest of the adjuster hardware being 66 f100. I have never heard of having to cut an additional adjuster slot in the left hand backing plate. I am also not going to use the grease shield from the f100 brakes. I read if you do use it you have to cut out a area of it to route the adjuster cable through it. thank you very much for all your help. I am trying to get the brakes done by the back to the 50s.

19. If you lay the backing plates together back to back you can use a transfer punch to locate the ends of the new slot, drill two holes and connect them. Use two rubber adjuster slot covers on that side and no one will notice.

stillrunners, Tim and sport fury like this.
  20. sport fury

sport fury

so basically the assembled brakes will now resemble 66 f100 brakes

21. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Does anyone know the correct Dorman part number for dust caps? Bought some today that are supposed to fit F100 hubs and they are at least 30 thousandths over

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. The caps are obsolete in the parts aftermarket. Repop caps are available; but thinner metal than original. The ones I bought were a tight fit. Used a section of tube to drive them by the lip once started, which worked pretty good.

teach'm and sport fury like this.
  23. bct

bct

very helpful @RICH B thanks for sharing your experience.

24. 33Doll

33Doll

25. @33Doll
    I would get which ever hose matches the size brake tubing you are using; no sense adding extra adapters to your system.

BH16179 has 3/8 male thread which fits the wheel cylinders and the other end is 7/16 female which accepts 1/4" tubing or the Ford banjo fitting like on a '39 up style system.

BH84517 has 3/8 male thread that fits the wheel cylinders and the other end is 3/8 female which accepts 3/8" brake tubing.

Just double check the hose lengths are suitable for your car.

33Doll, stillrunners and bchrismer like this.
  26. thanks for your adage RichB.....

27. atch

atch

Good tip. I also use tube to drive them in. I use a PVC pipe fitting which virtually eliminates the possibility for making any scratches in the cap.

RICH B and Tim like this.
  28. 33Doll

33Doll

Thanks Rich!
    I think is is the 39 style, he juiced it years ago. I haven’t brought the car home yet, it’s at my dads Shop 2 hours away. Ive been getting the brake conversion together while I’m waiting. I’ll check next time I’m there. Making room in my Garage, so I can get it here. I go about once a month to work on it, though. I want to get the new motor in first. And bolt it back together, for the Trailer Ride.
    Getting Anxious!

sport fury likes this.
  29. Helloosination

Helloosination

U have put these on my car using the original f100 drums and they're too narrow. Are they supposed to go behind the hub?

Sent from my moto z3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app