Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Sharing a garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PIECRUST&RUST, Jul 30, 2019.

1. crashfarmer likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

We built a shop with room for 4 cars when moved out to the country. 12 years later, we finally built the 6 car parking garage. So now as long as I keep my car addiction down to 4 or 5, I have room to do what I need. She has 3 in the parking garage, I have three there, and right now two in the shop. plus all the other stuff that fills up a shop--parts, equipment, stuff, etc.

Moving somewhere else would be a serious reality shock, that I'd have trouble dealing with.

3. When we permanently moved to Az I whimpered ,whined & cried enough about losing my shop she built me ,Yeah she built me ,for my B'day a double car garage extra deep. I get two cars & all of what is left of my tools in it. The house garage has one stall for her DD & one for my other + storage for all the parts & pieces. But when she is gone I sneak the other 34 over to let them enjoy one another. 34 coupe and roadster.jpg

4. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have a two car garage and three cars.
    For putting up with my BS for 40 years, the wife keeps her blacked out, pinstriped, custom wheeled, OT truck inside the garage.
    Conversely, for putting up with her BS for 40 years, I keep the '57 in the garage.
    The daily driven, parts getter, plain jane stays in the driveway.
    Everyone is happy

The37Kid likes this.
  5. Bob, your a bigger pack rat than me. :D HRP

The37Kid likes this.
  6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes that’s so very true. You don’t want to be locked out of there

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do a little time travel to the future with me... just for a minute.

You're an old man. The love of your life went to heaven before you.
    You're alone.
    A little bit sad. All the time.

Thinking back... reminiscing about your life together. You remember the good times and all you shared and did for each other.

But you might also have a few regrets as everybody does... thinking maybe you could've should've done better.

You remember that you made her park her car out in the Kansas winter snow.

I guarantee...
    You will want to kick your own fucking ass.

Okay... we're back.
    You're young with your whole life ahead of you.
    You get one chance.
    Act accordingly.

Sorry to get so serious.
    But it's important.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 59Tele

59Tele

Some years back I did some interior carpentry for a woman who was an "interior decorator" which meant she helped all the wives in her upscale neighborhood spend their husbands' money on stupid expensive shit that would be out of style in 6 months anyways. Her own house was the most girlie thing I'd ever seen. She told me the story of how right after she got done decorating it, her husband came downstairs one morning, poured himself a cup of coffee, took a look around and said "Fuck it. I should just put the skirt on now and get it over with". Never met him because he died the year before but I think we would have hit it off.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  9. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

Good point. I lean more towards its a fair trade off. If I can get the city to allow a car port that would be great too but they are strict on building codes around here. Its nice to be with somebody who somewhat likes old cars and I dont want to do anything to tarnish that. We go for rides together to sonic sometimes. And after 3 years I can't believe my ears when I hear "if you could build me a model A that looks old but drives more like a newer car i'd like that" SWEET! and thats from somebody I had to show how to check their oil 3 year ago haha. Got a good thing going, dont want to poke the bear too much.

Rickybop and The37Kid like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll ask Mark to make me a sign with that quote.:)

bob

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"A fair trade-off."
    You bet yer biscuits... a two-way street. Sounds like it is. Good stuff.
    The best to you both.

And that dream shop...
    One of these days...

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Generally speaking, if you turn some space inside your house into a dedicated closet/storage area just for her......and make sure she has a place to park her car, you can usually get everything left or even guilt trip them (if necessary) into building something large for your needs. I have a wonderful wife and have built several additional buildings on our property, but I made sure she has room for stuff. I built a room in the basement for her . My wife is not a "demanding" woman, but I realized she needed a place too and I made sure she had one.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My wife put up with having to park in the driveway most of the last 42 years when I had a project or other car in the single carport. I got tired of seeing her OT Firebird have to sit out in the weather along with her Expy and my pickup, so this year I finally did something about it. I built a 22’x40’ add on carport, room for 4 vehicles plus one in the original carport,my shop area. Now she can park under there and unload the groceries when it’s raining and not get soaked. Plus the sun is not beating on the paint and interior in the Firebird, the birds don’t shit on them anymore, and they stay clean longer. A win win for both of us, just wish I’d been able to do it years ago.

14. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

1, small lot already over on lot coverage %, and 2 we live on the same road as the town garage, zoning and building officials drive by us at least 2x a day. I am pretty happy they let me have a 5 foot
    side lot setback, and the garage is only 60 sq ft smaller than the house.She has already filled up the walk up attic in the garage, I am fighting to keep the downstairs for my stuff. I did add the mini split
    downstairs while she was overseas (shhhh).

15. Me and the wife have been married close to 15 years. Here in snowy Canada.

She has never once parked in the garage ..she has also never cleaned snow off her car, shoveled the drive way or scraped frost off her windshield.

I got the garage, shed and certain parts of the basement
    We decorate and renovate together.

We are looking to move again and she is only looking at houses with a minimum 2 car garage.
    She always says “ out of all the bad habits and vises you could have, old cars and fixing them is probably on of the best”
    So she’s happy I’m happy which in turn makes her happy...... life is a circle ! Lol

59E24EF3-E577-45C6-9241-0A6505904099.jpeg

The37Kid and Lone Star Mopar like this.
  16. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

She gets her spot in the winter when 2 of 3 old cars go to storage, I get 3 spots the rest of the year, but my dd has to sit outside all the time. Happy wife happy life.

17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Build a carport off of the garage and kick the daily drivers out of your "shop space".

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am probably the luckiest guy alive, my wife and I share the shop, I don't know if it's 50/50 because all of the tooling is shared. She does metal sculpture and because of that we have a Throatless shear, Hypermax 45 plasma cutter (upgraded from a Hypermax 30), a Lincoln 252 wire welder (in addition to the Hobart 140 and Lincoln tombstone that I brought to the marriage 10 years ago, an English wheel, 50 plus vise grips.....I could go on and on. The shop is heated and has A/C. We work together in the shop virtually every night while other people watch TV, and help each other when an extra hand (or tack weld) is needed. My first two marriages weren't that way at all, I really got lucky when I got married and retired 10 years ago. I wish everyone could be as lucky (though not as old) as I:)

Rickybop likes this.
  19. We have a one car garage that the hot rod and motorcycle has to fit inside.
    She gets the space in front of the garage door in our one lane drive.
    When I want to drive the hot rod I have to move her car, and the motorcycle to get it out.
    First world problems...…
    Chappy
    20190426_214337.jpg

20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-9-27_4-4-40.png The black 1958 Impala on the left side of the two car garage (check the chrome Impala rooftop vent shining)

Hello,

In 1948, My brother and I had access to a three car garage, but we were too little to do anything, except play. My dad could not get his big 1949 Buick in one of the single stalls and opted to keep his car on the street, out in front. On his days off and on the weekends, our job was to wash his Buick sedan. The small 3 car stalls in this old Craftsman house/garage complex were just another storage place and alternate play room for us.
    upload_2019-9-27_4-7-38.png
    When we moved to the last, Westside of Long Beach house, it had a two car garage. By the time we were doing stuff to my brother’s 51 Olds and then the 58 Impala, we had to share the two car garage with my dad’s Buick sedan, again. Until we learned to drive both of my brother’s cars into the second space of the two car garage, his two cars stayed in the yard, but outside of the garage. The Buicks were always the main user of the two car garage.
    upload_2019-9-27_4-9-49.png The concrete driveway with grass in the middle provided a nice wide trail to follow...until...

Once we realized that we could squeeze another car in the tight spaces, then it was learning to move the Impala out without moving my dad’s big Buick out to the street and back again. Working on the Olds sedan and the Impala in the garage took up too much space. On the weekends and on my dad’s day off in the week, his car had priority inside the garage. On those days, we could work on the Olds and Impala, but moved our dad’s car out to the front yard.
    upload_2019-9-27_4-10-18.png The 58 impala carefully squeezing into the narrow opening between the fence and stucco house.

As far as long term, down time for motor upgrades, that was not going to happen inside of the two car garage. My dad did not want his Buick to sit outside in the afternoon mist or evening fog, while we were inside the garage finishing hot rod stuff. 7 years of being outside was long enough for my dad and his Buick sedans. that garage was for his Big Buicks and that was it.
    upload_2019-9-27_4-12-2.png 1957 Buick in the narrow driveway and concrete pad, leading into the small two car garage.

Jnaki

Soon, we decided to modify an existing, rear yard Rumpus Room into an extra car garage, for our next long term hot rod/drag race car, a 1941 Willys Coupe. That extra garage workspace was fabulous. No worries about someone’s car being left outside gathering mist or frost.
    upload_2019-9-27_4-14-43.png upload_2019-9-27_4-14-57.png
    No roses were harmed in the tear down and move to another location in the garden.

In the long term, after having that cool extra garage, a string of homes with two car garages always shared the mechanical space with my wife’s cars. Working on a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery in an open two car, carport, late into the night was not conducive to having warmth and comfort. The repairs and upgrades to the hot rod sedan delivery took place when we were 20 somethings, so a little discomfort was tolerated.

Finally, when we were able to get a three car garage home, we had no hot rods in the horizon, but were searching for a major project. The extra space would have been a perfect long term hot rod workplace with no sharing. But, the space was taken up with a new, household construction project area, machines, industrial table saw, drill press, sliding radial arm saw, vacuum and exercise equipment.

Now, in our last older home, it is back to a small two car garage that has been finally fixed up, including any sharing, if necessary. It is the last downsizing that we will have to use for our final two cars.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  21. SwampLedge

SwampLedge

Forty years ago, shortly after getting married, my wife and I bought a house with a detached 2 car garage. It is located far enough away from the house entrance she never parked her car in there, although I would park it there when snow was forecast. Otherwise my DD and project car occupied it.

Fast forward about 12 years, and she and the kids were busy with activities that had them coming home after dark in the cold weather. I persuaded her to build an attached 2 car so she could load/unload the kids and stuff inside. That freed the detached to become my shop. Her car and my DD were parked inside the new garage. Then my daughter reached driving age and had saved enough money to buy a car. I gave her “my” spot in the attached so she’d be inside when she came home from work after dark, or left for work or school early in the am. My DD sat outside or was squeezed inside the detached for bad weather.

Now the kids are grown with their own houses and kids. My wife uses both bays of the attached garage: one for her DD and one for her JD Gator which she uses for chores on the property. It keeps her happy. Her truck and mine sit outside the detached most of the time.

Now that I’m in my mid 60’s, getting up from a creeper hurts, and my shoulder range of motion isn’t what it used to be. I’d like to have a shop with a smooth, solid floor and a lift before I die. I’d have to essentially demolish my current workshop to incorporate those features. So, I am planning construction of a third garage to become the new shop. (I have already run it by our town’s Zoning official.) My wife approves.

22. chargin03

chargin03

Remember what is yours is hers and what is hers is hers.

alanp561 likes this.
  23. topher5150

topher5150

Some day, when I get the money, I'll put in a garage, and the same thing will happen one side for the hot rod and tools, the shed for outdoor equipment, and the other side for her. In the great white north we do it so we don't have to hear our wives complain about scraping eight and a half inches of snow off her car.

24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

At least your in the door with one garage stall, could be on the driveway or under a tent. I know if I pushed the subject here at home I would be working in a apartment complex parking lot(not cool).

25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brave man when the wife isn't around!

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Maybe, but I have told her to her face. She knows how I feel.

27. New lame cars go outside. Including my OT truck. the old cars stay in where its nice and cozy

28. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

No room for a carport, 5 feet on one side, 20 on the other but that's where the shed with the mower, snowblower, yard tools etc live, plus to get there would have to drive over the septic system.

29. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

We have a one car garage. 37 goes in the garage. My rusty Dakota and her shiny newish Camry go in the driveway. I work from home, so don’t need to go anywhere when it snows. But, naturally, SWMBO needs to go places, so I gotta get dressed, go out, and clean her car off.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

My original garage is 30x40. 40 being the depth of the building. It has 2 overhead doors. When I built it I partitioned an 11x24' area behind the left door. That's her area. It protects her car from the dirt, sparks, grinding and gives her a place to store seasonal stuff. Everything else is mine (L shaped piece) The only thing of mine in that area is my 60 gallon compressor. Also put our old refrigerator just inside the walk in door.

In 2012 I expanded with a 28x24 addition on the back side of the building. That's all my area, too. Lots of shelving and work bench area make life easier.

Both buildings have their own heat and the 2 buildings can have totally different temps in the winter. Even have my own patio out the back door.

The last 12' of the addition is Hobby Hell. That's where I keep all my model building stuff and my magazine collections. That 12x28 has AC in it and a fridge.

Built a 10x10 on the back side of that for the garden tractor and hand tools for lawn care. Works great.

SPark

100_4215.JPG 100_4159.JPG 100_4188.JPG IMG_2818.JPG DSCN3480.JPG 100_4868_zps304d5a0e.JPG DSCN0285.JPG DSCN5904.JPG IMG_2552.JPG

41 coupe likes this.