Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Firewall and Floor - Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by AlsopAndSons, Sep 26, 2019.

1. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

So I’m installing a transmission hump in my floor to clear the trans.

We all know the 32 Firewall is removable. That said, when installing a steel floor, toe boards, and trans tunnel - do you weld these to the body structure and bolt to the firewall to keep it removable. Or, do you weld it all together effectively making the body and firewall one piece again.

my concern with the latter is there is a firewall to body seal that could need to be replaced one day and access to the firewall / body bolts. I could silicon seal the firewall and create access to these bolts - so have answers if I go that way.

What have others done here?

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Make the front floor removable. You'll be glad you did.

ct1932ford likes this.
  3. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

For sure make the floorboard removable.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

6. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

Can anyone post how you made the floor removable?

In my shop truck build I did a simple threaded hex head screw and did a silicone seal for the trans tunnel. But I’d like to do something a little nicer.

another option I am considering is threaded rivets as I have one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1442-Riveter/dp/B003TODXQW/

7. alchemy

alchemy

The body and firewall have nut inserts all along the edge of the floorboard opening. Size 12. Use them to screw your new floor down. I made the floorboards in my sedan out of board (plywood), but you could do steel if you want.

I have a 32 coupe project in the garage now and will probably be making a steel floor. I think I'll bend a 1/2" turned down edge all around the outside to space the floor level with the subframe. Probably do a little countersink dimple for the screw head to sit flush, and depending on if it deflects or not I might weld a little collar underneath to prevent collapse when I tighten the screws (but I bet these won't be needed).

8. 270bob

270bob

Here is some food for thought. Floorboard comes out in pieces. This makes your car easier to maintain in the future. I also make the floor treatment removable, no glue. 20190927_082633.jpg 20190927_082851.jpg

9. In my Deuce pickup I used metal for the floor and toe boards, I attached that to the firewall with screws and used a aftermarket rubber between the toe boards and the firewall. HRP

[​IMG]

Splitbudaba and AlsopAndSons like this.
  10. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

Ok perfect thanks. Someone in this cars past made floors from galvanized steel and pop riveted it together - so I didn’t have anything “original” to work backwards from.

these examples all help with my plan. Thanks.

11. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

Ability to remove is key.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    AlsopAndSons likes this.