Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects model A coupe build from Down under New Zealand

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by whitewallwilly, Jun 23, 2014.

1. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hey Bubba,
    Thanks for your thoughts
    I've gone past the point of no return with the insulation,,so I'm not going to try an peel it off,,,,,
    ,so I will give it a shot ,,,there is plenty of room between the engine and firewall and underfloor, so I'm hoping it willl be ok
    Cheers

2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I've gone past the point of no return with the insulation,,so I'm not going to try an peel it off,,,,,
    ,so I will give it a shot ,,,there is plenty of room between the engine and firewall and underfloor, so I'm hoping it willl be ok

I know whwere you are coming from.ive just ordered another box of insulation from (https://carsoundsolutions.com/product-category/sound-deadening-mats/)enough to finish my cab.this stuff is made in Russia.there s no getting it back off especially if you do a thorough job of cleaning before hand.they recommended at least 3mm but im using 2 layers of 2mm instead because of all the curves in the cowl and corners of the cab.thought it would stretch better and it did.none so far but at the first sign of any leakage ill be taping the joins.had a plesant tar smell for a few days but its gone now.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    kiwijeff and whitewallwilly like this.
  3. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Any idea where to get one of these?

whitewallwilly likes this.
  4. mvee33

mvee33

I don't think Mark makes them anymore, maybe advertise for a shifter in the wanted section on the HAMB, I have also seen one on ebay. There is a thread on the HAMB with some info. on these great shifters. Good luck.

5. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Cheers , looks like a solution .

6. The XMat is supposed to be “thermally stable”. It is a butyl product, not asphalt. I installed it in June, no problems yet.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

7. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks for you comment Walt ,,I've spoken to a few people who have installed the same as I have and had no problems
    Cheers
    Pete

8. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Really happy with the progress,,dash in and wired,steer column in ,throttle pedal fitted,heater in and hosed to the motor,fuel lines finished from tank to carb,seat riser painted an fitted,all battery cables finished,going thru master switch mounted in front or seat riser ,,,holes drilled for wiring loom to rear of car ,fuel tank,pump,tail lights etc,all capillarys fitted for gauges,
    Life is good,,,spending a load of time in my garage putting the hours in,,,my darling wife reckons she hardly see's me at the moment ,an she is a "hotrod widow",,,but she is really supportive, and encouraging me to finish this build so I can get on with our 56 Nomad,god bless her, IMG_0138.PNG

JUNK ROD, brEad, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Nice, heater looks awesome.

10. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Out of a Pom bomb(English car),very simple and compact,and flush mounts to the firewall ,so ideal for a hotrod in our winter conditions
    Cheers

11. Beautiful work. Nice originality as well!
    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

32SEDAN and whitewallwilly like this.
  12. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks for the kind words,,on the homeward stretch now

13. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

A little more progress,,,refitted the the rear spring,,,,took the top leaf out and will start there with figuring out the loading for a comfortable ride,,, I have a new set of shackles coming ,which should be here in a few days ,so will fit those when I pull the spring to paint,, IMG_6325.jpg Made a little alloy plate to cover the throttle shaft hole in the firewall,used a couple of knurled pins the retain it,,looks a bit tidier than a hole,,well to me anyway IMG_6339.jpg Steering wheel all painted,, thought I would paint the ribbed parts the same colour as the engine,,I'm also going to pinstripe the dash the same red/orange ,and pinstripe a line along the belt line the same colour,,, hopefully it will all flow together,,,next job is to fit the 4 stainless bands to the steer wheel,,, might need an extra pair of hands an a rubber mallet IMG_0142.JPG

JUNK ROD, Stogy, Jet96 and 8 others like this.
  14. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Fitted the steering wheel a few days ago,and motoring through the job list,just about got everything finished ready for wiring,,,got the drivers and passengers door glass ,channels,felts and winders in also over the last few days,will fit quarter glass and rear win down window to fit over the next few day, IMG_0156.PNG Rocker Covers fitted and engine pretty much completely,got the radiator and grill shell to fit tomorrow IMG_6394.jpg Pretty happy with how the engine has turned out, IMG_6398.jpg

The rear bulkhead is all in place,put fuel into the tank as well,probably do a start up tomorrow after bleeding the clutch and brake system

An yes that is one of those them there stereo things which is hidden under the seat in the riser ,,,,,,I really enjoy my music,,,the speakers are also hiddden up under the dash,
    hate seeing stereos either set into the dash or hanging down underneath the dash,,,and hate speakers in door or kick panels IMG_0147.JPG

Ready for wiring IMG_0149.JPG

JUNK ROD, brEad, 30 AV8 and 7 others like this.
  15. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

It looks like you have really enjoyed putting your car together. I hope you enjoy wearing it out just as much. Nicely done!!

Stogy, whitewallwilly and nunattax like this.
  16. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

I guess that everyone building a car has that similar buzz,,,really enjoying building the car right from when you start with two chassis rails on the shop floor,all the thinking and planing,the trips to swapmeets to collect parts,the people you meet on the way,trolling the internet on sites like the HAMB looking for advice or ideas,an the time put in to working late nights and weekends to get to the final assembly stage ,,,then as you start assembling the car for the final time with all the painted and detailed parts,,,that feeling is worth the all effort,,,,,
    Cheers

Stogy and nunattax like this.
  17. sharpmark

sharpmark

Good work mate. Anything to be gained noise wise by putting a box type thing over each speaker?

18. Coming along just fine. Been watching. Looks great! I’m with you on the tunes brother. Gotta have em. Great way to hide it. Terrific job so far.

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nice job routing the temp probe.whats the black finish.access to the gauges/wiring is excellent.i could have done with that. neat job on the heater hoses as well.
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  20. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hi Mate,
    I've put dyna mat all up under the cowl,firewall area , I'm hoping that will work ok,,, will let you know when I'm listening to Johnny Cash at full volume

Pete Poling, Stogy and nunattax like this.
  21. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

The temp prob cover is part of the capillary tube,I'm running Stewart Warner gauges, I've secured it to the two clip that are spot welded to the rocker cover for the wiring that goes to the generator
    Cheers

Stogy and nunattax like this.
  22. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Another good day,got the rear wind down window fitted ,an quarter light windows installed,,radiator an grill shell fitted ,next job is to fit the cowl lace and grill shell lace and will need to spend a bit of time alining up the hood gaps, IMG_6426.jpg IMG_6433.jpg

brEad, Stogy, 30 AV8 and 5 others like this.
  23. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

So just a progress update of a few more jobs done over the last week

Fitted the assembled windscreen ,,,did this on my own,,hence the insulation panels as another set of hands
    Everything lined up well,open an shuts fine, IMG_6467.jpg last job tonite ,assembled the 36 headlights,lenses, new upgraded headlight bulbs fitted hidden flasher bulbs and holder soldered in to the chrome reflectors,

Fitted the stainless license plate grill bar for a mockup,,, made this sometime ago,I'm going to modify it to hold a fog light on the left side,that's tomorrows job

Also should have the radiator back in tomorrow after soldering the new radiator to cowl support rod bracket I made ,

IMG_6492.jpg

Attached Files:

JUNK ROD, Stogy, AHotRod and 8 others like this.
  24. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Pretty stoked with the 36 headlights,tried to keep them low and set back so they don't look like dog balls hanging out there IMG_6512.jpg Tidied up a few more jobs,new bracket soldered onto the radiator top tank for the surround and cowl support rods,made up a ignition wiring loom for starting purposes,bleed brakes,clutch,filled and pressure tested cooling system,fitted the trunk lid,and rear exhausts an mufflers, fired the motor,ran up to temp,good oil pressure,set timing ,adjusted carb idle,,,,everything seemed fine, IMG_6536.jpg threw a couple of cushions in for seats an took the car for a short burn down the road with the caps off,just so the neighbors could see an hear what I've been working on for the past few years in my garage IMG_6535.jpg the highlight was taking my 3 year old granddaughter for a short ride,,she thought it was loud,an had her hands over her ears the whole time,told her to get use to it, cause it don't get any better than that,,

So tomorrow I'm taking the car to get the complete car wired,the seat is also away getting covered,,,,an I'm flying out to California in a couple of days and will end up at the hotrod reunion in Bakersfield,,
    I'm returning to New Zealand in early Novemberand hopefully wiring and seat done an then I can finish the car,,still a few small jobs left,fine tune the suspension,reset tappets,readjust brakes,and then take the car for Low Volume Certification, IMG_6531.jpg

Tim, JUNK ROD, brEad and 11 others like this.
  25. LKR

LKR
    from Australia

26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

spiff...
    I see a small FTF badge on the h/l bar...[fornicate the fenders]…
    my late friend "Sam Sampson" had that machined by the late Al Lavine and then cast them about 35 years ago... O'brians ask for permission to repop them... widow said yes... originals letters were concave, cast in, the repop letters are convex , nice touch by o'brians...
    sam would be proud that they have gone world wide...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    itsmee, 30 AV8, Jet96 and 1 other person like this.
  27. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Rebuilding this horn for the Model A
    Can anybody identify it,,I think it could be off a motorcycle,the one on my 41 Indian is similar,but no the same
    Cheers
    IMG_6556.jpg

Stogy, Jet96, nunattax and 1 other person like this.
  28. AHotRod

AHotRod

Very nice build and quality work, well done, I love it.

29. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Sorry guys,didn't want to upset anyone,,here's another pic, this time with a proper ruler in inches IMG_6525.jpg

Tim, Stogy, AHotRod and 1 other person like this.
  30. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Fairlane500, Tim, JUNK ROD and 5 others like this.