Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Harbor Freight prices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Sep 24, 2019.

1. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I use tools from Harbor Freight but I’m careful what I buy. About a year ago I bought a tool box, roll cab from them and love them

2. I didn't purchase the same style, I upgraded to a much better brake. HRP

https://www.baileigh.com/sheet-meta...I9ZC6Cpdrf4uMZzqriWMR1cuTQ0HvqsAaAt3MEALw_wcB

OLSKOOL57 and saltflats like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have walked in to HF with full intent to buy something and always seem to walk out empty handed.

Partsguy57, slack, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I've never had $400 ,or $4 for that matter, to piss away , lucky HRP got his money back...glad to see C S fixed his ...

slack and rod1 like this.
  5. Special Ed

Special Ed

It's difficult, if not impossible, to put any sort of monetary value on your own peace of mind, isn't it?

slack and alanp561 like this.
  6. You got that right! :) HRP

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  7. I only buy there if I am going to disgard the tool when done , otherwise I buy US made tools

8. jim snow

jim snow

I agree with most. But since I don’t make a living with tools. H. F. tools work for me. If I did use tools every day I would definitely use the best quality I could afford. Snowman

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  9. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I have my fair share of HF stuff, and a bunch of 80's Craftsman stuff, and some Snappy stuff, and some vintage Blackhawk stuff, and whatever else I could scrounge up so I can do what really matters... work on old cars.

I watched my grandfather do some amazing work with tools he picked up along the road, or bought at an auction, or fabricated from scratch, because he was dirt poor. I learned that the tool may make you faster or life easier, and that good tools were just better, but the craftsman does the crafting!

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I don't believe it's the quality of someone's tools that make them a true Craftsman. Having quality tools does make it a lot easier for hacks like me to sometimes produce acceptable results though,........

11. You have to think about what to take a chance on. My Snap-on IM31 3/8 impact wouldn't stop running, bought the $90 Earthquake impact to get me by until Snappy came by at the end of the week and figured I'd take it home after. "No parts available" says snap-on guy. Replacement was $549. 2 years later, still using the Earthquake, and the best part is it kicks the IM31's ass for torque. I was able to repair the trigger on the snappy, it's now the home tool. I can buy 6 of the HF ones for the price of 1 Snappy, and even at only 2 years each, I'll be out of the trade before the last one dies. I will add that of late, Snap-on hasn't been very good about repairing older stuff....the impact, my 1/2" micrometer type torque wrench, and a buddy's DA.

I buy the 90 degree die grinders(use Roloc discs on them) on sale for $13 each 2 at a time. Get 2-3 years out of each one, toss 'em in the aluminum scrap pile when the bevel gears wear out...not worth even cracking them open. $6 die grinders for 3" cutoff wheels....8 years on the first one so far. The reciprocating air saw is pure junk, though.

I do own a fair amount of Matco MAC, and Snap-on stuff have bought some Cornwell lately, but some stuff is just stupid expensive for what it is.

12. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Some time ago, when I was still a working person, I was responsible for buying tools for the plant.
    The boss asked why I was buying tools from HFT and I explained that if someone cut up a tool to make it fit, no big deal. The bonus was nobody was stealing them.

13. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Kinda like if you don't want to buy a first class seat,you really don't want to fly?

papadaddio, Nostrebor, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  14. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Before you guys that never shop there start talking to much shit try them out. I am not telling you that everything they sell is great cause it's not. I made my living with my tools (mostlySnap On) for 44 years. Snap On ain't what it once was and they are insanely overpriced. I lost a 10mm impact socket ten years ago and the replacement cost was approx $40.0 I went to H.F.Nd bought an entire set for less than one socket ten years later I'm still using it and it has the same warranty as S.O. there never higher end hand tools perform as well or better than S.O. you go go to YouTube and see all the head to head comparisons you want. All there hand tool are more than half the cost with the same warranty. When you break your S.O. ratchet you have to wait till the truck shows up and even then your going to get your old ratchet rebuilt. Your H.F.ratchet will simply be replaced same thing for screw drivers S.O. replaces the blade only, H.F. replaces the whole thing. When it comes to tool boxes the U.S.General that H.F. sells are not as heavy duty as S.O. boxes but work well for the Home tech. There new ICON series are every bit as good or better than S.O. Again with the same warranty at almost half the cost. I'm a tightwad I haven't bought a new toolbox since I was twenty and yes it was a Snap On I bought all in to buying the best and I paid dearly . I figured out I was wasting money on that tool box after that when I needed a bigger one I bought used for probably 20/25cents on the dollar. The last ten years any time I needed a new or replacement tool I go to H.F. and they perform just fine and when talking air tools H.F. beats S.O any way you slice it. I'm not a shill for Harbor Frieght but if can buy the tools I need for half the price of S.O. I'm gonna do it I stopped being a tool snob a long time ago. Every dollar I save on tools is another dollar I have to spend on my cars.

15. The IM31 was the very first expensive tool that I ever bought from SnapOn. This was 1994 when I graduated from tech school. I’m sorry to say it, but, what a disappointment. No power, even with 150 psi behind it. I learned after that to buy Ingersoll Rand air tools. I have two sets of impact sockets from The Harbor. At work we refer to it as The Harbor or The Boat Store. These Harbor sets stay at home, my stuff at work is approximately 60% US made Craftsman, 25% Mac, and 15% SnapOn. Never found a SnapOn dealer that wasn’t a dick. My Mac Guy is great, known him for 25 years. Sadly, I’m very afraid that the mobile tool companies are pricing themselves out of business. I hate to admit it(tucking my head in shame), but some of the Harbor stuff is pretty good. Sears used to be my go to, but since they have gone Chinese, might as well go to The Harbor. At least, sadly, they will still be around in five years to warranty hand tools. You guys that don’t care for The Harbor, might check out Tekton Tools. They have a great website, free shipping, great warranty, don’t skip sizes, offer single sockets, wrenches etc, and are very reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Places like HF make it possible for hobbyists on a budget to do what they love. If I had to pay tool truck prices for all of my tools, I'd be building plastic models. Speaking of which, look up the Snap On online catalog. 75% of their American made tools have China as the country of origin. I also read not tok long ago that their $700 floorjacks are manufactured in the same place as the HF $140 jacks.
    I'm not saying all of their stuff is good but it's all not junk either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. no55mad

no55mad

Vice Grip and Craftsman are now made in Chino.

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I make my living with the tools I use. If a tool doesn't last me one year, I`ll never buy it again. HF has failed me more than a few times. It is also 45 miles away. Have you used a screw driver and the tip breaks and scratches the paint? I can not take that chance with poor quality tools. I always go to tools that have proven them selves. As most have said I have tools that were boughten off a tool truck when I was younger. Most of them are being used on a regular basis today. I am always on the look out for name brand tools at auctions and swapmeets. Good quality tools save me time, and time is money. As for the hobbyist, remember that broken tipped screwdriver or the socket that slipped off the nut and you banged the hell out of your hand.

jim snow and luckythirteenagogo like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You just have to know what to buy. Examples, a head lamp flashlift with bright as f*ck bulb for <$3. And with that purchase, using a coupon for a free LED battery powered light that will burn your eyes out if you look at it when turning it on. WTF, how can you go wrong? How about a bitchin new folding lawn chair for $19 that would cost $50 at Wally World? I wanted a pry bar to pop the baby moon caps off my 47 coupe in case I need to change a tire on the road, ended up with a 14" flat bladed screwdriver for <$3. It probably isn't a great screw driver and would fail under severe use, but it pops the caps off just fine. It will go in the trunk with the spare and the 4T hydraulic jack ($18). Tarps, moving blankets; Consumables like cut off discs and grinder wheels, flapper wheels, safety glasses, gloves, tool bags, etc, absolutely great prices. Watch the sales and there is a ton of very useful stuff at great prices.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well they do have a wall full of small rubber tires already mounted that fit on carts and wagons. Cheaper than having flats fixed.

Prices, you have to find the coupon that has the best price 99% of the time. Even for small consumable items I usually only buy it if it has a sale price on it.

ClayMart likes this.
  21. davidh73750

davidh73750

Lol I am glad I’m not the only one who thinks that.

lumpy 63 and Deuces like this.
  22. Yeti Man

Yeti Man
    from NorthTexas

Well said!

seb fontana and slack like this.
  23. In 1967, after my tool box with all my SK Electrolyte tools were stolen, I bought a set of ETF combination wrenches and a 3/8 ths drive socket set from a place called Acme Novelty, in Regina Saskatchewan. I always think of it as ironic, because I also bought my wife's engagement diamond at the same store. :)
    I still have both, the wrenches and the wife, and still use the wrenches daily.
    ETF tools were made in Ste Cathrines Ontario from the late 1930s until sometime around 1980, and were excellent tools for the money.
    I have an oddball collection of high end and low end tools, and some of the less expensive tools have been surprisingly durable. I do have some cheap, one use tools, that I have welded, bent, and tortured for single purpose jobs.
    Bob

Deuces and 5window like this.
  24. 5window

5window

That's not true.I have seen an awful lot of quality work done with marginal tools because that was what was available.

25. Deuces

Deuces

I still have some power craft boxed end wrenches from Montgomery Wards..... Anybody remember them???...

26. ......I do remember them.

OLSKOOL57 and Deuces like this.
  27. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  28. .......I still use this most every day. 20190926_085050.jpg 20190926_085026.jpg

29. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I actually have a set of open end/box wrenches and a set of 1/2 drive sockets and ratchet my parents bought me for a Christmas gift probably sixty years ago. Still use them occasionally even though I have others.