Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Alkyd-Enamel based marine paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Sep 25, 2019.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Found some great colors of marine paint I like a lot. Was wondering if this stuff would be applicable to our hobby? Suppose to be durable and has UV protection. And it’s cheap! Anyone use this stuff on a car?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Tractor Supply had Tractor enamel single stage paint, quart cans. Black was nice, went on and covered without looking like mixture of Rustoleum and heavy oil...

Then, one day before I went for 3 more quarts? Some 'suits' walked in, handed the manager some papers, and said they were taking the paint (VarSpar) because it had OIL in it!
    They were re-stocking the store with water based crap I wouldn't paint front wheel drive 'cars' with! GRRRRRR!
    Now I have to have good Nitro shipped to my son in Oregon.
    He'll smuggle it in to me...shhhhh.....

rpm56, loudbang, Texas Webb and 2 others like this.
  3. I used that exact Kirby paint on a 40's jeep. it sprayed ok, and it was surprisingly durable. finish dulled, I started with semi-gloss, it ended up duller. can't sand and buff. I was able to paint a different color over it without it lifting.

loudbang and dsiddons like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks ^^^^ for tech tips.

dsiddons likes this.

5. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Sounds good! Thank you for the reply you answered my questions

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  6. David Chandler

David Chandler

I used paint called Interlux, I believe. It was marine enamel. Sprayed good, and looked good. It did oxidize after a few years of living outside all of the time. But I was able to buff it off, and it still looked okay. It lasted until rust issues forced me to go over the whole thing again. (with Rustolieum).

dsiddons likes this.
  7. I have sprayed PPGs alkyd enamels
    I like to use the hardener, but its not required
    we recently did a test panel with it at school (with the hardener) after a week, we cut and buffed it. looked very good
    alkyd enamels spray a little odd to me but Im used to the newer paints

dsiddons likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not familiar with that brand but the brands that I am familiar with are rather spendy.
    Friends just had their 50 foot cruiser painted and the boatyard did what is known as roll and tip rather than spray it.
    I've got Valspar oil base porch and deck paint on the bottom of my sailboat that I painted it with 16 years ago and that stuff has held up pretty well. I don't think they sell it anymore either.

dsiddons likes this.
  9. jazz1

jazz1

Alkyd paint with some hardener added for painting cars. I learned this from guy who taught me to paint.
    “ it’s free,” Its very durable
    lots of our pickups and cars were painted “Lakehead University colours or CP Express blue,,,Also known as Finlander blue

dsiddons likes this.
  10. v8flat44

v8flat44

Petit & Interlux have both been used on boats here on Lake Erie. I've seen them brushed on & "tipped"
    with a foam brush, resulting in a low gloss smooooth finish
    Imron is popular for spraying.......2cents worth..... mike

dsiddons likes this.
  11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

By all means use hardener and accelerator if need be. Most alkyd enamels have acrylic toners today that provide better colors. The harndner makes it's performance simular to acrylic enamels.