Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stainless column drop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Gersic, Sep 24, 2019.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Currently I have a rather boring slab of billet aluminum column drop in my 37 Chevy holding up a basic GM tilt column. Looking for something more interesting.

What I’d like is stainless. I want to polish and engine turn it. Think it’d go good with the gauge panel I made earlier this year.

As far as I can tell, nobody makes a stainless drop. Billet aluminum, cast aluminum, yes. Chromed aluminum, yes. Nothing in stainless steel.

Am I the only one that wants something other than aluminum as a column drop?.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why does it have to be SS? Aluminum turns easy and looks real nice. If you insist on SS, take an aluminum one into a shop with a CNC machine and have them knock it off in SS.

5window likes this.
  3. 5window

5window

I have an aluminum column drop.. polished it up and put on a Ford logo but painted to match the green and black of my car

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Different metals, different colors. Thinking I’d like one in stainless. Thought that’d be relatively easy. Surprised to not find any. Figured somebody like ididit or Lokar would have something. They do everything else in stainless, but not drops.

Bandit Billy likes this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get it. I made a lot of parts for my 34 from SS and polished them, turned a few of them, always liked the look of SS.

6. 5window

5window

Maybe you should lool into making them? Perhaps there is a market. It would likely turn ou to be considerably more than aluminum, which isn't all that cheap already.

7. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Made mine out of stainless. PICT1285.JPG

5window and Dean Lowe like this.
  8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The only way that works is to get a bunch of them made, then sell one or two a year for the rest of my life. I’ve reproduced parts before.

If you only want one, it’s a custom job and nobody has time for it. If you only want a dozen, it’s too small a job, and nobody has time for it. If you’re willing to buy a thousand, now it’s worth quoting the job and doing it.

I did pretty good getting smaller jobs done during the recession when shops were hurting and really looking for anything to pay the bills. Now they’re not so hungry.

If I had a mill, it’s probably not too difficult a piece to make. I don’t have a mill, or the space for one. Working a big chunk of stainless with hand tools seems unlikely to produce satisfactory results.

10. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Pretty simple really, four pieces of flat stock welded into the shape you see, the clamp I made from square stock, cut to length, threaded the ends and then bent to go around the column. Just had to install nuts and washers and polishing the whole thing.

Tim and David Gersic like this.