Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods R12 or 134 for my '66 F100?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69supercj, Sep 25, 2019.

1. 69supercj

69supercj

Okay here's my situation. I've got an underdash unit and condenser from a '66 Mustang that I've restored and had cleaned and tested and all is good. I just bought a new Sanden 508 compressor and a new dryer. I'm going to have all new hoses made and will probably be buying a new expansion valve but I've got the one that was on the underdash unit. Would you guys go with R12 or 134 if given the choice and why?

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

12 is very expensive , 134a is cheap , just be sure you have the correct oil in it....

427 sleeper likes this.
  3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Plus , you have to have a license for 12 and not for 134a...

427 sleeper likes this.
  4. 2X^^
    Put an aftermarket AC unit on the '57 and charged it with 134, works great. I also converted to 134 on my 84 Chevy, no problems with that either.

sidevalve8ba likes this.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

When you converted , did you drain the old oil ?

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Since you having all new hoses made and the condenser didn’t come off the F100, you might want to consider getting a larger condenser to mount on you truck, since your going to be fabricating anyway. May help using R-143a. Simple to do now, difficult later.

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. 69supercj

69supercj

I figured since the condenser was the one used with that evap unit that I would be okay. Really just trying to decide if the R12 is worth the extra cost.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. BJR

BJR

If the system was designed for R12 it will not get as cold with 134A in it. And the R12 replacements do not work as well as real R12.

Truck64 and Texas Webb like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Gotcha, CJ, somehow I read where you were putting it into an F100. Went back, no. So I would stick with the original, for sure. Can’t help you on which Freon to use. I’ve had some that worked good.... some not so good. Usually one of the differences between a R12 and aR134a is a larger condenser.

Bones

10. That's the major difference; my late-model DD AC doesn't get as cold as older R12 AC does, all else being equal...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mine either! ...And, as where we are here in Atwater was desert, I could appreciate 54* at the vents! (Gets down to 60 now, engine @ 1500+ RPM)

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

R12 is not available anymore, unless you find old stock somewhere. R134 is definitely less expensive. Use a newer 134 condenser, they are more efficient.

CN

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Just remember R12 and 134 need different seals.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. Just finished installing a knee Knocker in my 36 (avatar) 2 day using 134. 38 degrees @ the vent. Lovin it.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

R12 works WAY better, WAY colder. Every thing I ever had that wasn't R12 doesn't cool good enuff, even my 2017 ram truck. My old R12 stuff will still freeze an Eskimo out. If you have R12, or a source, I'd use it.

Truck64 and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. ironrodder

ironrodder

R134 has smaller molecules than 12. R12 equipment doesn't work well with R 134 because it will leak it out. Might last a season of you don't mind refilling.

17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I talked to contractor once who worked in Saudi some years ago. He said he saw all these "Princes" driving around in beater Buicks or some damn thing like that. How come not BMW or Mercedes? Turns out, the AC in the old beaters was waaaay better, and it gets hot over there, so that's what they drove a lot of the time. Weak AC is BS.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. OFF topic????? Modern feature???

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

49, you coming from Austin, Texas...... I would think you would want an A/C thread! Lol It gets warm there! But .... A/C came to autos in the fifties, May have touched The Forties. So ...kinda makes it legal???

Bones

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An under dash knee knocker is about as traditional as you can get in central Texas on anything. With the right seals 134 will get that F100 down cold enough. A bit of insulation might help though.
    Had one of those Mark IV ac units in my 59 Elkie in Texas that would chill beer sitting on the middle of the front seat. We seldom ever ran that thing full blast as it got too cold.

da34guy likes this.
  21. Well, y'all, I was talking about the R134a. That sure as heck wasn't around in the 50's....I thought "the rules" disallowed "modern words".......hahaha

And yeah, The Judge has a LOT of modern features...including (all parts of the system designed for) an R134a system. But I can't discuss anything here.....

22. I bought my OT car new in the late summer. I used the AC, but only a few times before cooler weather. The next year I had to get the system recharged due to a leak. This repeated itself for several years as the price for R12 went up. Then I had enough and did without. Once I put AC in the '57 I decided I was an expert, so I bought all new AC components for the OT and installed them myself. The only difference is the charging ports and an internal valve, but I worked with a top notch auto AC supplier/installer to get the correct parts.

Yes. I actually replaced the entire system.

I have heard this many times, but the truth is I saw no difference.

My AC worked for several years without any problems. When I did get a leak, it was the compressor that failed.

23. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As has been said you need a license for R12, and is nearly impossible to find. As far as not cooling as well as R12 I converted to OT cars to R134 and both cooled as well as before

24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's how it's supposed to work. Dial it back a little.
    Some of the modern units running full blast don't cool very well, and with the fan on HI is don't move any air yet noisy and fatigueing, and "what's wrong with this thing it won't cool" running full blast through your mind.