Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Are you missing any tools?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 25, 2019.

1. This probably doesn't apply to single guys,but maybe it does.

That was the question my daughter ask me this morning and I told her I misplace them from time to time and she said she found two screwdrivers, a hammer and a pair of needle nose pliers in her bathroom cabinet.

I gathered them up and went out to the shop to put them in the tool box.

Last week I found my channel locks in the kitchen junk drawer along with a shorty Phillips head screwdriver, I confronted the boss lady and she admitted to pilfering the tools, I ask her what happened to the tool box I gave her years ago, she has the toolbox underneath the kitchen sink but there are precious few tools in the there, what I did find in her tool box was one of my body hammers and my straight cutting Swiss metal shears, but the strangest thing that make absolutely no sense is my pneumatic ratchet wrench and thought it's in my best interest not to ask. :rolleyes:

Looks like I need to re-outfit her tool box, soon! HRP

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sounds like somebody’s fishing for a trip to the tool store haha

BigO, dana barlow, Texas Webb and 3 others like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

As a matter of fact I am!
    I kind of pride myself in keeping track of my tools but for a year I've been missing a Craftsman 1/4" drive 7/16" socket, I know, no big deal right, just go buy another one.
    That would be too easy, I guess I'm holding out hope that the gremlin that kiped it will bring it back.
    I haven't lost a tool since a 1/2" drive 9/16" socket rolled down inside the frame of my 65 Malibu..........in 1973.

4. My wife and her daughter had a little project going, when I went to check on them, they had a bunch of my little c clamps and my 1” micrometer holding it together!

1953naegle, jvo, 29bowtie and 9 others like this.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Sir! Thats why I have 3 complete sets!! Now if I can only find them! :D

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

My Son and I put a torsion bar lift under his truck yesterday, along with some shock spacer/extenders, held the top of the shock stud with vice grips to hold it still while taking the shock nut off and put it back on, took it for a long ride to try it out, came back, looked it over again and there was the vice grips still clamped to the top of the shock:D
    .... A lot of the time I dont realize Ive lost something until I find it later:D

7. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'm always finding my tools scattered here and there. People know where to find them, but never seem to know where to return them. On the other hand, while some of it is my fault, my benches in the garage always seem to attract all kinds of things that have no business there. Then I usually get blamed for never putting anything away because everything is piled up. I don't even try to fight it anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 2935ford

2935ford

One of the worst things I can do these days is let a tool leave my hands cause when I do........the ether grabs it!
    Anyone else have ether problems? :)

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Funny as hell Danny.
    I laugh out loud on that one.

After 46 yrs my wife knows exactly how to get my attention.
    If I’m not moving fast enough to get her honey do list done. She simply walks into the garage, picks up a hammer and walks back into the house.
    It’s not 15 minutes before I follow her in worried I may have to remove the tool from her before something gets broken.

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

When I was a line mechanic I was anal about my tools! No car left my bay until all my tools were back in their place.
    Later I had my shop to myself and the fleet remained in my control.....I got a little careless and occasionally left a tool on one of my engines!
    The guys at the Fire Stations would go over their engines with a fine tooth comb and were always delighted when they found one of my tools!
    I would have to stop by the store and get a half gallon of ice cream and take to them for ransom ! The good old days!

Bones

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Over the years I have found several wrench’s still backing up that nut someone tighten years ago..... and several vise grips still doing their job!

Bones

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

They (the other mechanics) used to call my toolbox the "Queen Mary", as it was 2 Master rollaways mounted on a double-kicked tube frame, with 4 steel casters. Two top boxes atop the rollaways, good size for back then...
    My "Queen Mary" is now in my garage, 2 others reside in my shop out back.
    There are engines, machines, and flattie parts, along with 'other big stuff' in the way of moving the "Queen Mary".
    When doing a little job 6 years ago, a Snap-On 1/4" drive deep 7/16" socket went spinning, underneath the "Queen". As her chassis sits L-O-W, there was NO seeing underneath it.
    I bought a Chinese 'eye' (tiny lighted camera on a flexible tube that plugs into my phone...download the App, do you think I can get the consarned thing to work?

FARK NO, JUNIPERO! It cast a blind eye... so I went on the Bay...YES, I found an identical 1/4" drive, 7/16" deep, in the same model era as mine! (Snap-On keeps changing tool styles, so if replaced, some sockets are 'mis-matched'...Bugs guys like me, enough that we buy entire sets to keep 'em all even? Nope! Sorry...Thanks, EBay. Socket was $3, and the guy sent it to me for another $3.) Hah!

How long can one runaway Snap-On tool bug you? THAT should have been the question...
    Oh, wife Joey has her own rollaway, BUT! She does more service and repair than I do now... not LOL...

13. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

And there lies the problem ... natural curiosity just gets us in trouble :D

catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Joe_dirt1

Joe_dirt1

common at my place, the warden and the kids leave them everywhere....I finally went to harbor freight and bought a bunch of random cheepie stuff and left them in the house for them

catdad49, HOTRODPRIMER and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Back in the eighties, I I bought what we called the “ Mac Towers” their biggest roll around with the ten drawer top box with a three drawer middle addition. Then my helper did the same, then we added three hang ons and placed the together , with one in the center between them and one on each end ,along the wall in our rather small shop. Quite a sight in the eighties. Our Mac dealer came by and took pictures for Mac to use in advertising. He said at the time it was the biggest set of tool boxes he or his supervisor had ever seen. We were proud of it!
    I went over to a friends house the other day, he does a lot of work and saw...... a whole wall on his shop was covered with a Snap on tool box! I wished I had taken a pic! That box was 20 feet long and six or more feet high!
    Times change..... but I still like my Mac towers! I kept two of the hang ones and built an undercarriage to roll it better and added a large tool rack on back!

Bones

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  16. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

My wife was always gripping about my tools being dirty and on me to clean them up. So she when out and got a pink tool box and tools for the house. Happy wife happy life. My dad should have bought me a tool set before I lost a lot of his tools, I started get my own tools at 16 and no better about losing them for a long time.

catdad49, HOTRODPRIMER and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. Brenda can be very independent and 95% of the time will try and fix anything she thinks she can handle, thus she goes out in the garage and gathers up the tools she thinks she will need, unfortunately for me she just ain't too good at returning them to where she found them. HRP

wicarnut, OLSKOOL57, Petejoe and 2 others like this.
  18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Oh yeah.Somewhere about 45 years ago I was rebuilding a 289ci Stude V8.Could`nt find my 1/2 by 9/16th box end wrench.CRAP.pulled the intake,oil pan and the valley cover.To this day,I have no idea where that went:eek:.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Boneyard51, catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That will teach you for going skimpy when you first handed her the tool box. :p ....guess had to figure away to show you what she wanted/needed. "Happy wife , happy life":D

20. Both my grandfather and I try to keep all the tools organized but its quite often we are losing something and then having to spend an hour hunting for said tool. The only tool that has been lost (to my knowledge) for good is a 1/4" ratchet. Though I do know where it is and cant get it. Years ago we were restoring a 65 El Camino and while putting the tail lights in, the ratchet slipped out of the hand and wedged itself in the hollow cavity of the quarter panel and no amount of magnets, fingers or hooks short of cutting a hole in the panel were getting that ratchet out.

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sounds like wifey has a can do attitude. " :)

22. You should see her tear into her vacuum with a tiny little screw driver.

catdad49, 41rodderz and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. 1ton

1ton

About thirty years ago I began noticing my tools were disappearing. Thought I was losing my mind already. I'd be in the middle of something and suddenly one of the tools I was using went missing. Until one fateful day I was on a creeper, under a car, and my dog comes in and grabs a 3/4" ratchet. I yelled at her and she took off, tool in mouth. I found her behind the barn admiring her stash of shiny chrome things. Mostly tools with some car parts mixed in. True story and man was I thankful that I wasn't losing it. After that I made sure I divided my time better between my dog and my tools.

24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a rule about things like drill indexes, socket sets, and such multiple tool aggregations. "If you don't lose the first one, you can't lose the second". I very aggressively try to find a missing component if I notice something is missing. It has served me well these last few years.

That being said; I cannot find the 4-40 tap out of my tap and die set. I cannot remember ever having to use it, and it's been missing for at least 3 years. I think I will have to buy one, as much as I hate to do it.

bobss396, catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. Pretty expensive clamp, if I saw that done with my mic, I might have had a stroke.
    Bob

26. sunbeam

sunbeam

I keep missing the ones I just laid down.

27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

No,I am not missing any tools. I just can't remember where the first (insert tool name here) went to.

28. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Sounds sort of like my situation with Mrs Avater. Years ago she told me she needed a toolbox for some things she might need to do from time to time so I set up a nice assortment of house friendly tools. Since then, it has sat in the same place and I’m pretty sure I’m the only person who ever uses it.

On another note, my son bought a house and we have been doing a bunch of stuff there. I did give him his grandfather’s long time toolbox and an assortment of tools. Along the way I think I lost my best spackling knife there and wonder now what other tools now make their home there now.

Now my daughter just bought a house and I have begun setting up a toolbox for for her and my son-in law. I will likely be working on some projects there and anticipate additional attrition.

All in all, the mechanics/automotive tools pretty safe.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The more people that use your tools, the more people you can blame for losing them, when you cant find em,
    Wife, kids, etc.o_O........oh there it is, where I left it:D

I actually am not too bad for that, but I have heard plenty of guys that are, like my uncle that had 4 boys that liked to work on stuff, so a lot of the time they had, lost something:D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When my late youngest son started driving and working on his stuff, I bought him a cheapo starter tool set, combo wrenches, screwdrivers, 3/8” socket set, etc. Was fine for a while, then he would need something he didn’t have, so he’d borrow it out of my box. I was OK with that as long as he put it back, sometimes he did, sometimes he didn’t. I could usually ask him, and he’d walk right to where he had left something laying. Me, I have a problem finding what I used five minutes ago. God I miss that kid.

My tools aren’t much of any kind of a match. I do have a set of 3/8” deep wells and a set of 1/2” standard sockets that match, but everything else is various brands. I do have a few favorites I reach for more than others, a Snapon ratchet, a Craftsman 1/2” combo wrench, etc. some things I know when they go missing, others, well, I have found them years later and wondered how they got where they were!

HOTRODPRIMER and raven like this.